PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Jkaen
04-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi there, thought I should pop in and say hi.

After having thoughts of creating a world myself for roleplay, I have given up on the scale and decided to help out a DM in who's world I am playing. And while he is a good DM his maps are rubbish!

Hence I have decided to see what I can learn from here, and have to say the tutorials are great so far.

Currently trying to follow RobA's tutorial in GIMP to produce the continent map (despite him saying its not designed to do that!) and then will 'zoom in' as we go along.

I may post some of my work for comment when its past 'embarrasing mess' stage

Jkaen

RPMiller
04-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Welcome to the Guild Jkaen! Definitely post those maps even if they are in the 'embarrassing mess' stage. That is the best way to get constructive feedback and learn.

When you are done with that continent map, we would love to hear about any breakthroughs and such you made in its creation.

NeonKnight
04-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

RobA
04-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Currently trying to follow RobA's tutorial in GIMP to produce the continent map (despite him saying its not designed to do that!) and then will 'zoom in' as we go along.

Welcome Jkaen!

Just to clarify... the technique can be used at most any scale, but you will have to play with many of the noise settings to get things that look "right" at that scale. The example settings were chosen to reflect what you would see at an overland scale.

Good luck, and show us your efforts!

-Rob A>

pyrandon
04-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Great to have you here, Jkaen! You found a big boulder sized gold nugget in Rob's GIMP tutorial. I'm looking forward to seeign your results--and to hearing your GM's reaction to it!

Welcome!

Jkaen
04-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I have posted attempt one over here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1904)