PDA

View Full Version : A Hedge Maze!

Larb
06-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Structure? Dungeon? There isn't really a "Garden Features" section and it could be dungeony. In Book of Challenges, that really old 3e book, there were two mazes one of which was a hedge maze. It had blink dogs in it I think. Or maybe displacer beasts. I can't remember.

I guess it could count as a dungeon. Especially if it was full of dangerous animated topiary. Or perhaps a killer flesh golem with a hedge trimmer like in Castlevania 64.

ANYWAY. I should add that I love hedge mazes - they are one of my favourite things ever. This one I have drawn for a very dear friend who I wished to cheer up a little. But it could be used as a dungeon. I think for the next OPD I might do a maze.

I used an isometric grid as a base and planned the maze out before drawing the actual hedges. I did the plan three times before I found one I liked. I used that parchment from that one step by step drawing thread by Torstan I think 'cause it's pretty and I've been overusing my other textures a bit lately. I also wanted to try some shading using the overlay layers because it looks like an interesting technique and it's not what I usually do. Not sure about that right now. I'll have to experiment with that method a bit more.

I don't think I'll do much else on this now except tidy a few things up.

Seraphine_Harmonium
06-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Looks great! I like seeing that there are "things" scattered throughout the maze, like the tower in the middle, the waterfall pond, and the sundial.

I am curious though, is the challenge of the maze to get to the middle, or to get to an exit? I don't see another way out, unless that little gated shed in the top right is an exit.

Larb
06-06-2012, 06:36 PM
The little gated thing is supposed to go underground but I'm not sure to what. I once went to this real maze that had a grotto in the middle and I also went to one that had a kind of sunken vaulted chamber at the end.

The middle is the focus of the maze, the wooden structure can be used as a tea house or the like and allows you to look out across the maze, and the open grass can be used for outdoor picnics. I basically designed something my friend and I would enjoy walking around and spending time in.

Unless it had vicious animated topiary. Probably not so enjoyable then.

A while ago I designed a bamboo and wooden maze for my L5R campaign. The players never did visit it (I had a potential showdown with one of the villains there). I may do a nicer version of that one at some point.

*edit* I am glad the sundial is obvious, I wondered if it'd get lost! I should mention I like sundials too and all the silly inscriptions they can have. I think my favourite is "I count only the bright hours" though there are a million other great ones.

Lyandra
06-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Now, this really is cool! :D
I love hedge mazes too but unfortunately I've never seen a real one, one in which you can get lost :P Well, maybe in the future...^^ The way you drew it I can really imagine being there though, thanks ;) I'm sure your friend loved it :)

Redrobes
06-07-2012, 09:41 PM
The one I know of is in Longleat House over here in the UK.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=longleat&hl=en&ll=51.187951,-2.27755&spn=0.001205,0.002411&geocode=+&hnear=Longleat,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=19
Its a real pain to get out of tho. Allow much extra time when you try it....

Lyandra
06-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Redrobes: I'll make sure to go there. ;) Don't know when but I've been putting off visiting a place like that long enough :P Don't know why the idea of getting lost in a hedge maze appeals so much to me. o_O

Larb
06-08-2012, 01:36 PM
The one at Longleat looks like incredible fun. I could easily waste a few hours in that. I also noticed they have a traditional low ornamental labyrinth too.

I think one of the reasons mazes are appealing is because it's like a giant puzzle that is fully "interactive" so to speak. And there's a certain mystery to them.

I have heard there is a maize maze not far from me. Cue corny jokes. =P

Simon33600
06-09-2012, 06:47 AM
Oh, yeah, I remember the topiary monsters...

This map is really cool. The concept is neat and the execution style is really nice!

I love it!

Sapiento
06-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Really, really nice!

Gidde
06-10-2012, 02:14 PM
That looks really cool!

Lukc
06-13-2012, 07:56 AM
This is a really, really cool map! Well done, Larb!

jbgibson
06-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Delightful. Y'know there's a class of mazes that can be solved just by traversing the whole thing dragging, say, your right hand down the walls? Well if you want to categorize this as a dungeon with a bit of danger, just note that there's a significant amount of poison ivy woven into the hedges. Put a stop to THAT technique...

Larb
06-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks. Yes, Linear branching mazes can be solved using that method. It doesn't work so well on "island" mazes though. An "island" is basically where you just end up doing circles if you try to solve it that way. I don't think my maze is completely immune to it but I did put a few islands in there.

My ultimate goal in life is to own a garden with a maze in it so I've read a little about their design. I don't care if my house is a tiny shoebox, I just want a maze. =P

maxsdaddy
07-09-2012, 09:22 PM
The last time I had a really good time in a maze was a corn field maze. Maps were provided, and then the farm owners cut loose the "city folk" to wander about in it. My family and I ended up having a rather large group of people following us out of the maze busily chatting on their cell phones like it was a guided tour. I found it hilarious and sad at the same time, but it gave my wife and I quite a bit to talk about on the ride home.