PDA

View Full Version : World of Zaria and Ansgar by TheRedEpic

TheRedEpic
06-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Hey guys,

I did these two commissions for Joshua Johnson's Cerberus Rebellion book series. He wanted to base them off the style i used for my Hyranden map, so i obliged him, let me know what you think!

Zaria, map of the Known World:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/Stormcrow135/Zariaworldmap10x10150dpi.jpg

Ansgar, the focus of the book:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/Stormcrow135/Ansgar150dpi.jpg

Thanks!
~J

arsheesh
06-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Nicely done!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Larb
06-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Great stuff but to be expected I suppose! =P

I am not a fan of the landmass shapes but I assume you are working within fixed boundaries of the client in that regard. I am curious though, do you get any creative input there?

Seraphine_Harmonium
06-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Really cool! These have a great look and feel to them. Probably doesn't matter at all, but a couple things bug me slightly on the first map. The icon for a hamlet and a fortress look the same to me. The second thing is that you have an icon for "Citadels," but the place on the map labeled "THE CITADEL" doesn't use it. It just uses the normal fortress icon. (I am assuming it is the fortress icon and not the hamlet icon, contextually).

But seriously, great work. Repped and rated!

Jaxilon
06-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Very pretty and I do love this style. It inspires me to want to create a map somewhat along these lines with the shields and so on. Good job!

Sapiento
06-07-2012, 02:55 AM
Wonderful! I love this style.

vorropohaiah
06-07-2012, 04:13 AM
thats a really nice style map, though the form of the lanbdmass seems a bit 'artificial'

Djekspek
06-07-2012, 04:21 AM
You're still one of my favorite artists, and again your maps are awesome... and again some maps for my inspiration folder :) thanks for sharing! cheers, DJ

Depassage
06-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Just awesome! I love the style and the colors and all the lines patterns. The compass rose/seal is really great and a good idea. I also like very much the text around norteast Steimor.

Thanks!

Freodin
06-07-2012, 05:34 AM
This is so impressive! The map itself looks surprisingly simple, but with all the embellishments, the icons, the text, the border, the coats of arms, the..., the... it becomes an amazing piece of art.

Just to nitpick: is it possible that you tapered the rivers in the wrong direction? (I guess the layout of the rivers was preset, so I won't call the riverpolice on you. ;))

Lyandra
06-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Beautiful map! I love your style :)

TheRedEpic
06-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Wow, thanks guys! Alot of positive feedback on these:)

@Larb- I do get feedback, and i can sort of take the map where i wanted, but the maps shape had to be relative to what he had in the sketch for his book. I didn't want to start manipulating and changing heavily since its not my material!

@Seraphine_Harmonium- You're right, the town square and the fortress Crenelated square are a bit too similar in the key! On the map, the town symbol is much smaller, about half the size.

@Freodin- I was experimenting a bit with this one, usually they taper away ffrom the major water mass into the mountains, and int his one i flipped it. Probably not the best descision i suppose, but at least i will taper towards the mountains and not away from them int he next map.:)

Thanks everyone, i had a blast with these, and they were actually quite enjoyable to do, which is not always the case with many of the commissions i get. Some are work, and some are play, and others are a combo of both.

~Jared

Seraphine_Harmonium
06-09-2012, 03:38 AM
@Seraphine_Harmonium- You're right, the town square and the fortress Crenelated square are a bit too similar in the key! On the map, the town symbol is much smaller, about half the size.
Actually the key is the only place I can tell the difference at all, because being right next to each other shows the size difference. On the map itself, where they aren't immediately adjacent to each other, I can't tell what's a hamlet and what is a fortress.

Robulous
06-09-2012, 10:52 AM
I am not a fan of the landmass shapes but I assume you are working within fixed boundaries of the client in that regard.

Beautiful style, that's great artwork. I agree I'm not a fan of the shapes either, but if you look at mediaeval maps (eg the Hereford Mappa Mundi) they also had pretty ugly, squared off, non-geographical landmasses, so in a way it's fitting. I think we forget that maps aren't just geographical representations, today we're rather spoiled by aerial maps and accurate geography!

TheRedEpic
06-09-2012, 12:35 PM
@Seraphine_Harmonium-The only two towns are in the top left hand corner in the mountains, the square for them is very small. I agree i should have used a different symbol though, maybe just a square with a single crenelation on each of its sides rather than 3-4 on each side. At this size you just dont notice the distance!

@Robulous- Thanks i completely agree, there are many cartographers that make medieval maps look like they are a satellite picture view of the world (too perfect), when in reality, medieval maps were rather clumsy and generalized to a great extant. However i am a big fan of the Italian maps of the Medicci's which were more exact and had a good amount of detail. They were the coolest thing i saw when i was in Florence:)

~J

Gidde
06-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Gorgeous as usual, sir!

Thesslian
06-14-2012, 05:05 AM
Very cool. I love all the little decorative elements.

TheRedEpic
06-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks, I try to add in flourishes that wouldn't make sense to the fish out of water reader, but would be meaningful to someone illustrating the map from the story. At least that's what i strife for:)