PDA

View Full Version : May/June 2012 Lite Entry: Golgath Caverns

Jaxilon
06-08-2012, 11:46 AM
I've been waffling as to whether I would post this or not and I figured I needed to in order to push myself to finish.

This is just the sketch, inspired by one of Djekspek's images (http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40851&d=1325165829) and I wanted to attempt something like it myself so here goes. I haven't made up my mind if I want to paint this digitally or with watercolors, I may do both since I have it scanned in already. Provided I have enough time.

### Latest WIP ###

Fury
06-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Got to love hand-drawn pictures. :D
Non-traditional floors too.

Lyandra
06-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Now, this looks really cool. Hope you have time to finish both versions, can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

lostatsea
06-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Great start Jax !! You know I love different!>:)>:) Great concept !!

Bogie
06-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Excellent start Jax, great detail. This is the kind of drawing I could never do. Jealous!!!

Jaxilon
06-12-2012, 05:49 AM
Spent some time painting this while trying to get used to my tablet.

### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
06-12-2012, 09:48 AM
The coloring looks good.

Jaxilon
06-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks Bogie.

I think I need to make the sky more ominous and the lake in front of the entrance scarier as well. Looking at it this morning I might even try for a darker skull but not sure if that will help or not. I think I need to do a bit more on the outer mountain as well.

Jaxilon
06-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Instead of getting an early start at work like I should have I did more of this....I'm going to pay for it now.

### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
06-12-2012, 02:36 PM
All artists must suffer for their art!

tilt
06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
looks great jax and I'm glad you choose to color it, it brings out the details :)

Lukc
06-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Looking good, Jax! I'd maybe try to go for a bit more contrast, some more vivid colours too ... ?

Jaxilon
06-12-2012, 07:06 PM
I agree Lukc and I started working on making it pop more this afternoon. Here is an update so far.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
06-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Worked it over a bit more this evening.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
06-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Haha, I added labels attempting to write them by hand using my tablet. I have to say it's really hard to print when you aren't looking at your hand. I can draw on the screen pretty good but I have a ways to go before I can write. Still, I think the labels came out alright and match the style of the map. LOL, they still make me laugh though when I look at them.

I'm kicking around the idea of putting some adventurers in there if I have time to draw them.

### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
06-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Fantastic map! Very moody and ominous looking, great detailing.

lostatsea
06-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Wow. I just got back to this . Been busy ;)This came out GREAT Love the color scheme and style !!

Simon33600
06-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Really nice map, JAx!

Chashio
06-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Instead of getting an early start at work like I should have I did more of this....I'm going to pay for it now.

Yeah, I stayed up til 6:30 this morning drawing a map. I'd try locking the computer in a vault, but I'd probably just pick up a pencil instead. zzz

I see you're getting used to the new tablet. With beautiful style. =)
Critique: The lower entry with the skull is sinking into the background compared with the interior caverns.

If you highlight the closest ridges to the sides of the skull (like you did with the top entries) it'll bring it forward more. You could also add a touch more highlight to the tops of the trees and the roofs of the little buildings (? I think they're buildings) and the surface of the lake there (even though the sky is dark, it would still grab a bit of light), maybe a bit on the nose of the scull, and finally, if you feel so inclined, a faint, broken reflection of the skull on the water's surface could add a nice effect. I don't actually know how much time, if any, remains on this competition, but even still. =)

It is a beautiful map. Nice job.

Jaxilon
06-17-2012, 03:16 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments.

Good pointers there Chashio, thank you very much. If I have time I will give them a try. I made a few changes (some lava action) and altered the skull entrance so I'll post what I have now. I was thinking the entrance should be a bit less obvious and my wife said it was too cartoony, so we'll see if this is better :)

I am getting more and more used to the tablet. It feels a bit like a paintbrush to me right now. Not sure if it will ever feel like a pencil but I hope so.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
06-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Not sure what time this cuts off but figured I would toss in a couple small updates I was able to make based on feedback :)
### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
06-17-2012, 11:31 AM
OOOHHHH I Like it!!!! Really makes the skull Pop!!

Chashio
06-17-2012, 01:21 PM
=) That lava was a sweet touch! Leads the eye around the page more.