PDA

View Full Version : June 2012 Entry: Frozen

Chashio
06-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Thought I might participate this time since I missed the hand-drawn challenge, yet again. =\
So, this experimental piece sorta took off in its own direction... dragging me with it. Decidedly uncomfortable. I have no clue where it's taking me.

Do have one conundrum, though maybe I'll get a better answer if I post it in a different thread. The border layers had a few styles attached to them, embossing and such, that apparently don't like to be flattened into jpegs. I spent quite a bit of time to get the coastlines and border looking just right, so now I'm a bit depressed. Probably missing something obvious, but I can't see it. Any help would be fantastic! =D

### LATEST WIP ###

Jaxilon
06-13-2012, 02:02 AM
What software are you using? I use Gimp so not sure if I can help but I don't think I have any problems with things vanishing when I 'save as...' *.jpg

LonewandererD
06-13-2012, 04:08 AM
Are you trying to flatten the image into one layer before saving or just saving it as a jpeg. Also are you saving in low resolution because I've found that messes with fine details.

-D-

Chashio
06-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks for replying. I'm using Photoshop cs4. I tried flatten + save, just save, copy visible to a new file. Those don't work. I've been saving at full res. 300. It is a very large file, though. Many layers, and I sized it down to 25% before I uploaded the wip.

I don't know much of the in-depth stuff that Ps can do, as I usually just stick with the brush tools and do things by hand. Maybe I'll try opening it with Gimp and saving there. Can always fall back to my by-hand strategy.

- Later -

I reopened the psd file in Ps and now it looks more like the jpeg. ??? I give up. I'll just do it by hand. At least I can wrap my head around that.

- Even Later -

I couldn't leave it alone. =} I don't like being flummoxed. I still can't get the psd-jpeg transfer to keep everything, but figured out that there is less of a difference if I switch the emboss style, etc, to an inner bevel, then create layers out of the style. Then flatten the image. Will still have to do a bit by hand, but that's better than most of it. =) I'll post another wip when I get further along. Maybe tonight.

RjBeals
06-13-2012, 05:24 PM
i ususallly copy merged and paste into new layer. It keeps all effects that way

lostatsea
06-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Here is a trick to try.Save the psd then Create an empty layer BELOW the layer with the Effects and then merge the layer Down Into the empty one. DO this for any STUBBORN layers then flatten the image and save to Jpg. >:)>:) Reopen your original PSD to continue editing !

Chashio
06-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. =)

LonewandererD
06-14-2012, 04:05 AM
The resizing is also screwing with your fine detailings, anything smaller than a pixels gets lost in the resizing.

-D-

Chashio
06-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Okay. I'm going to have to size down my working file anyway. The little laptop can't handle it anymore. =\

Thank you, everyone, for the advice. =) Much appreciated.

---
Here's an update.

### LATEST WIP ###

Chashio
06-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Okay, so after the computer crashed last night, and running two virus scanners and a disk defrag to fix it... Here's a, well, I'm not sure it's a wip. Experiment? Think bio-luminescent fish tank with stained glass. I kid, but that would be cool. I'm not sure I like it enough to continue. And maybe it's not extreme enough for this comp. =\

My thoughts were sort of running in the direction of a fancy light box with a satellite image overlaid to show the luminescent ocean and track the spread of these mysterious dark areas in the south. This world has a very high axial-tilt, so winters are quite dark and long. Aside from stars and nearby planets, the oceans provide the light, and heat. Hydro-thermal vents along the Mid Lumin Ridge warm things up enough to keep the coastal areas in fodder. And the Summer current flows northward as well. At the moment, this map is actually depicting springtime, when the ice sheet leaks its glacial melt-waters into the ocean, obscuring the definition of the shallower depths in the north. Land vegetation is gaining ground as the planet slowly tilts back toward the sun.

I'm directionally challenged. =\

### LATEST WIP ###

Bogie
06-16-2012, 03:22 AM
Nice colors and textures.

Chashio
06-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Nice colors and textures.

Thanks =)

arsheesh
06-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Huh, interesting idea for lighting. I kinda like it. Look forward to seeing this completed.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Chashio
06-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks, Arsheesh! =) A heartening comment.

dangerdog15
06-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Wow, this is a nice, colorful map. I'm excited to see it finished!

Chashio
06-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Thank you. =) So am I; I spent over an hour touching up the islands, and a bit on the lower-right continent coastlines. Urg.

I'll have to go over the info borders too, if I keep them. It's not my usual thing, but I thought it needed some sort of informative aspect since I'm not labeling the actual map. I also had to size the file down again, as my computer is rebelling. (As soon as I can afford a new one... ah, to dream. =)

The language is fictional, made up on the spot. If any of it means something in a language on this planet, my mistake. Let me know if it's hysterical or insulting and I'll make an effort to redo it. Don't want to offend anyone.

### LATEST WIP ###

dangerdog15
06-20-2012, 01:20 PM
the language is fun. kind of reminds me of WH40k Tau.

Chashio
06-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Interesting. I'd never heard of it. Perhaps fewer apostrophes, but yeah, I can see how they might be similar. =)

LindaJeanne
06-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Love the jewel-tones.

Lyandra
06-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Like the language, it sounds very funny. :P

Chashio
06-28-2012, 12:51 AM
Cleaned up the borders.

### LATEST WIP ###

Chashio
06-28-2012, 12:59 AM
I think I pretty much flunked on the 'extreme' aspect, but thanks for the support. ;)

jbgibson
06-28-2012, 02:32 AM
It could be pretty seriously extreme if you flip your perspective. You're on the inside of a world-sized vitreous ball looking out - think glass marble. The green are continent-sized encrustations of a caustic lichenlike growth which while feeding leaches potassium from the vitreous globe. The whole affair orbits in aether which has enough H2O or O2 that the potassium is flaming - that's the orange glow around the edges of the lichen. The lichen likes that, by the way. The cloudlike shapes in the blue of your view of the aether are just that - clouds of smoke in the aether, as your world is being corroded away in flames and parasitic growth. You sit in the middle of your slowly shrinking home, thinking of the herbicide-effect patch of aether that in your father's father's father's time almost scrubbed the hated lichen from the surface.

Almost.

At least that's what I see :-). Nice map, whichever way you look at it !

Chashio
06-28-2012, 03:18 AM
Hahahaha! =) Thanks, I needed that.