PDA

View Full Version : The Western Kingdoms Map

Thesslian
06-14-2012, 02:35 AM

This is a map I whipped up today using Ascensions tutorial. I went for a smaller part of the world rather than the whole thing as he does. Personal preference really. Show me a part of the world and I will imagine what is beyond the borders. Not something I get to do with a whole world. It's more complete than I have done in the past, but I still couldn't bring myself to name all of those little towns. After naming over a hundred larger towns I just couldn't bear the thought of doing another hundred little ones. I shall justify it by knowing that most adventures take place in little towns, so they can just be renamed when adventures are dropped into them.

I think it looks decent. Not really crazy about the pink border color for Afrir, but other than that I like it.

Lyandra
06-14-2012, 03:05 AM
This looks really good, well done! The Afrir's border isn't too visible so I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

arsheesh
06-14-2012, 03:21 AM
Nice job Thesslian.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Depassage
06-14-2012, 04:52 AM
Good work Thesslian!

Freodin
06-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Map itself... very nice. Wonderful compass rose... your own work?

But I wonder about the map border: the black-white checkered border does not have any connection with the grid lines. It does not seem to have any cartographical relevance beyond shouting "Hey, I'm a map border!"

Thesslian
06-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback. The compass rose is something I put together for one of the lite competitions a few months back. I just recycled it rather than making a new one. Slapped a new coat of paint on it and ran with it.

As for the border, I didn't know the checkered stuff was supposed to do anything other than look pretty. I don't have much experience with cartography. I guess I will have to look up what the checkers are supposed to do.

Slylok
06-19-2012, 11:49 PM
the color really pops for me on this one. well done fellow hoosier.

Sapiento
06-20-2012, 02:40 AM
Well done!

dangerdog15
06-20-2012, 12:07 PM
very nice map! it looks like the ocean floor is higher than the land masses. might just be me though.