PDA

View Full Version : Britannia Version 2

Hai-Etlik
06-14-2012, 10:11 PM
OK, so Larb's Thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?18989-Ultima-Related-Maps) has prompted me to finally redo my old map of Britannia (http://draconic.ca/portfolio/britannia.png) (the setting of the Ultima games). This also presents an opportunity to put my new wang tile based stippler (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?14373-Weighted-Centroidal-Voronoi-Stippling-using-JTS) to use.

Finally, I've also tossed together a rune font of my own in Fontforge. I printed out some boxes with baselines, wrote each rune about 3 times with a Sharpie (B took several extra), scanned it, traced it, picked the best and loaded it into Fontforge. I don't really know much about typography so it's not the greatest font ever, but it works for me.

So, to start, I traced my old map in QuantumGIS and started making some revisions. In particular I've increased the forest cover, largely inspired by the UO map, and because it just makes more sense to me that way.

Then I used openJUMP to convert to WKT format, and hacked up my stippler to read in the data, put together some placeholder tree and mountain symbols, and set the thing running.

After adjusting the line features slightly in Inkscape, I got this:

There's loads of work still to go, but I think it's a pretty good start.

Hai-Etlik
06-15-2012, 12:31 AM
I shifted the corridors around the rivers, roads, lakes and coastlines downward (half the spacing between the tree or mountain symbols) and increased it slightly so the linear features don't disappear inside a canyon of trees. There are now three different kinds of tree which vary in frequency from region to region, and the coastline now has a nice stipple effect.

Hai-Etlik
06-15-2012, 02:46 AM
More stipples for the lakes, varied tree density, and swamps

Larb
06-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Wow. I have no idea about any of the techniques you're using but the results are nice. I did download QuantumGIS out of curiosity a month or so ago but I've not really looked at it at all yet.

Hai-Etlik
06-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Wow. I have no idea about any of the techniques you're using but the results are nice. I did download QuantumGIS out of curiosity a month or so ago but I've not really looked at it at all yet.

Glad you like it. There's a tutorial of sorts on QGIS in this thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?17469-Some-pointers-for-using-GIS I still need to finish it, but it should get you started.

And now for update number three: A start on grassland symbols, and mountains are now broken into three size classes based on their proximity to the edge of the mountainous region. Outer ones are small and closely spaced, inner ones are big and widely spaced. Getting the right parameters for that was a pain, but I think it's turned out quite nicely. Hopefully it will like even nicer when I make some proper symbols.

Hai-Etlik
06-15-2012, 08:24 PM
So I have this really cool idea for how to do farmland using Voronoi diagrams:

If I give each a negative buffer, and then apply a a randomly rotated parallel lines texture to each, I should have a rather nice effect overall.

Larb
06-15-2012, 08:49 PM
It's an interesting effect although it looks a little "shattered glass-y" at the moment. Kind of like that stained glass filter in photoshop.

Hai-Etlik
06-16-2012, 06:27 AM
It's an interesting effect although it looks a little "shattered glass-y" at the moment. Kind of like that stained glass filter in photoshop.

Here it is with a bit more progress, the field boundaries now mostly follow the line of any linear features that cross the region, they've been given a negative buffer to provide a bit of room between them, and they have a nice plow line pattern to them.

Larb
06-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Ahh yes, that looks much much better now.

Hai-Etlik
06-16-2012, 05:21 PM
I've given the farmland a bit more variety.

Hai-Etlik
06-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Playing with some ideas for point features. This is what I was least happy about with my original attempt at this map and it's still what bothers me the most as, I'm no good at drawing.

The blank symbols are just placeholders, I'm only planning to use that wreath shape for the shrines. I've tried representing Empath Abbey (Up in the Northwest) in an oblique projection which makes sense for a map where horizontal features are shown from the top, and vertical ones are shown from the side. Also, some of the games used oblique views. However, I'm not sure if it fits. It might just be that It's a bit too precise and blocky rather than the projection.

vorropohaiah
06-17-2012, 10:24 AM
i like the point features (could be a tad smaller, maybe?) - i guess that collection of different ones in the middle of the main ocean is going to be the key?

arsheesh
06-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Overall I quite like it. The mountains look a bit too straight and geometrical to my eye though.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Hai-Etlik
06-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Overall I quite like it. The mountains look a bit too straight and geometrical to my eye though.

Thanks, the mountains are just placeholders for now though. I've got a lot of symbols to draw to finish this.

Hai-Etlik
06-18-2012, 12:41 PM
I made up a bunch of mountain symbols, and a program to help import them into the program that generates the map.

Unfortunately they just seem to blend together in the map. I'll have to try something else.

Langy
06-18-2012, 06:43 PM
You kidding? Those mountains look so much better now; sure, you might be able to improve them through trying something else, but this isn't a failure.

Larb
06-18-2012, 07:13 PM
I agree, the mountains do look much better. I think it's because of the trees perhaps. Is there a way to add a some kind of 2px or so gap between the mountains and the trees? It might give them the definition you want.

Hai-Etlik
06-18-2012, 11:49 PM
I agree, the mountains do look much better. I think it's because of the trees perhaps. Is there a way to add a some kind of 2px or so gap between the mountains and the trees? It might give them the definition you want.

I was actually more concerned with how they blended into each other, but I've managed to fix it by redrawing them.

Thankfully I've managed to speed up the process for creating them.

Hai-Etlik
06-19-2012, 04:22 AM
Lots and lots and lots of new terrain symbols.

arsheesh
06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Those mountains are looking much better. Are you planning to color this piece or stick to B&W?

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Langy
06-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Everything's looking rather nice, but some of the mountains on the coastlines are clipping into the ocean; check out the Isle of the Avatar for a really good (or bad) example.

Otherwise, it's looking really good.

Hai-Etlik
06-20-2012, 02:08 AM
Those mountains are looking much better. Are you planning to color this piece or stick to B&W?

I may make a colour version, but my aim is to have it work as a black and white map.

Next up is building symbols for the towns. I've gone with an oblique projection for drawing them as that manages to mesh with both the upright trees/mountains and the flat farmland textures. Several of the games also used oblique projections.

Hai-Etlik
06-20-2012, 02:10 AM
Everything's looking rather nice, but some of the mountains on the coastlines are clipping into the ocean; check out the Isle of the Avatar for a really good (or bad) example.

Otherwise, it's looking really good.

Yeah I'll be doing to manual clean up of the mountains for the final map, but for now the mountains are getting generated over again each time I build the map so I leave them as is.

Hai-Etlik
06-20-2012, 04:19 PM
That's the towns in.

Lyandra
06-20-2012, 06:51 PM
This is starting to look great. You cannot see that the features were generated, I'm impressed by your technique. :)

Hai-Etlik
06-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Latest update. I've adjusted the generated positions of the trees and mountains to look a bit nicer, added the gargoyle settlement on Terfin, and added the shrines of the virtues, dungeons, lighthouses, etc. Labels are starting to go in though I'll be tweaking them a fair bit until I'm happy. When I am, I plan to remove/shift the symbols underneath rather than relying on a halo, that should give a much nicer appearance. I made the font in Fontforge.

Hai-Etlik
06-25-2012, 03:29 AM
I haven't gotten much done over the last few days, but hopefully I'll get it finished this week.

Here it is with a new compass rose.

Hai-Etlik
06-26-2012, 02:05 AM
I've decided to make the map for a specific era, namely some point in the 200 years between U6 and U7. So I've ditched the bits that were destroyed at the end of U5: Bordermarch, Windermere, Farthing and the lighthouses. Also the labelling progresses. Making the text all legible without resorting to halos is a lot of work, but it does look nice in the end.

arsheesh
06-26-2012, 02:21 AM
Looking really good Hai-Etik. The added line work really helps bring it alive.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Hai-Etlik
06-27-2012, 01:51 AM
OK, I think I've got it done, unless something else pops into mind or someone spots an error.

Lyandra
06-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Very beautiful. It looks perfect to me. :)

Larb
06-27-2012, 06:10 PM
It has turned out great, I am really impressed! I love the way the terrain features have turned out. I also really like how you have incorporated the virtue symbols into the compass rose. I wish I'd thought of doing that on my own map now rather than integrating them into the border (which didn't turn out as good as it looked in my head =P).

Freodin
06-27-2012, 06:18 PM
This is beautiful... and it soooo makes me want to play Ultima again.

*sigh* Games like that just don't get made any more.