PDA

View Full Version : June 2012 entry: Muspelheim

vorropohaiah
06-15-2012, 01:50 PM
For my tentative entry I thought i'd try something Sci-fi (not my usual cup-of-tea); a geologically-active satellite. the red is magma between plates of metal that move about like accelerated tectonics. gems and ore is common along the 'shores' of these plates, which is why its been chosen for mining operations. Locations and further info still to be added.

### Latest WIP ###

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/elyden/challenge.jpg

Jaxilon
06-15-2012, 05:20 PM
love the look of those cracks.

Bogie
06-16-2012, 03:25 AM
I generally don't do Sci-Fi art, but this is beyond Excellent!

Depassage
06-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Nice work! I also like the look of the cracks...

vorropohaiah
06-16-2012, 06:27 AM
love the look of those cracks.

I generally don't do Sci-Fi art, but this is beyond Excellent!

Nice work! I also like the look of the cracks...

all these comments about my cracks are making me nervous... :p thanks though :) I'll post up more info on how i got there (cool texture/3d object/bump layer/recolour shadow)

vorropohaiah
06-16-2012, 04:30 PM
added some small details (like the start of my key), ready fir fleshing out over the next few days

### Latest WIP ###
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/elyden/challenge-1.jpg

arsheesh
06-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Argh, I'm actually thinking about entering this competition but this map is very similar to the idea I was working with (not to mention it's looking quite good). Hm, guess I'll have to re-think some things.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

vorropohaiah
06-20-2012, 05:22 AM
haven't had as much time as I wanted to work on this, but here's a small update. still want to add some details and perhaps a form of border and, of course, a title, though other than that there's little else i want to add.

### Latest Wip ###
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/elyden/crackedplanet.jpg

EDIT: oh joy, photobucket goes down just as i upload the image... Ill add it to the post later

Sapiento
06-20-2012, 06:01 AM
This looks better and better!
Did you use the 3D tool in Photoshop to create the planet?

vorropohaiah
06-20-2012, 06:09 AM
yeah, just a cool cracked earth texture, sphereised with a heavy bump layer (same texture underneath) and some tinkering with various other settings on the 3D layer and lighting to make the 3D effect pop a bit more.

arsheesh
06-20-2012, 06:52 PM
This is coming along nicely, and the flavor-text really give it character.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Chashio
06-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah, the text is a great touch; I enjoyed reading it. Makes me kinda want to switch mine back to English. Thanks for explaining how you got the effects to work, that's helpful. Reps =)

Edit: Oops. Looks like I can't give you any more reps for a while. So have another thank you!

vorropohaiah
06-23-2012, 08:10 AM
still want to add a title, some nifty border widgets or whatnot and some more detailing though the text and planet itself are done

Lyandra
06-25-2012, 08:41 PM
This looks great. :)

vorropohaiah
06-27-2012, 04:17 AM
diaster! in an annoying conflict that arose between my many clouds programmes (dropbox, google drive, asus stroage) a bunch of files got deleted on my computer, including this months challenge .psd file. i still have the high-res jpg i was using for sharing pics on here, but without layers and so-on iwont be able to do the changes i wanted to (move things around to make room for the title and other detials. i might carry on but when this sort of thing happens i tend to lose all interest so this one is probably finished :(

arsheesh
06-27-2012, 04:30 AM
Man that's a real bummer. I'm really sorry to here about that, I've experienced the loss of important files before pending due dates in an academic context and it's no picnic. Hey but you know what, you've made it this far already, it be a shame not to finish the race. Think of it as a challenge to overcome, one that calls for a bit of creativity. I've seen your work and know what you are capable of. You'll think of something.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

vorropohaiah
06-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Man that's a real bummer. I'm really sorry to here about that, I've experienced the loss of important files before pending due dates in an academic context and it's no picnic. Hey but you know what, you've made it this far already, it be a shame not to finish the race. Think of it as a challenge to overcome, one that calls for a bit of creativity. I've seen your work and know what you are capable of. You'll think of something.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Thanks :) I figured might as well try finish it off as i can with the jpg. Might as well as i was pretty close anyway. Im calling this one finished (unless i think of something else in the next few days, that is). There were a few more things i had wanted to do, like graticules on the globe and and cool window borders for the widgets but the image is already cramped enough as it is (and maybe a bit too green - i might go back and tone down the green a bit as its somewhat overpowering at the moment.

### Latest WIP ###
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/elyden/crackedplanet-1.jpg

arsheesh
06-28-2012, 06:07 PM
That turned out great! Nice job on the finishing touches. Good luck in the competition.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh