PDA

View Full Version : antiquesque practice map

gwynwas
06-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Working on an antique map style. Still a work in progress. No text yet.

Mountains and forests are repeating patterns I made based it on old map images.

Cities and settlements are from a 16th cent map as are all doodads and border.

Made in photoshop cs5.

Freodin
06-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Quite nice so far. The patterned forests work really fine.
I'd try to change the hills though, so that they fit to the style of the mountains. Also you might want to change the double stroke lines for the coastal waters... 16th century map usually had a pattern of horizontal lines in that place.

Schwarzkreuz
06-16-2012, 08:52 PM
I think some single trees at Forest borders add to the atmo and reduce the Pattern feeling

arsheesh
06-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Not bad, but I agree that (a), the texture is a bit too heavy, you may want to tone down the opacity a bit, and (b) the mountains and hills look to be two altogether different styles. I'd strive for a bit more uniformity. Otherwise I think this looks quite nice.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Scott Prevett
06-20-2012, 04:28 PM
That's extremely nice. The only thing I might adjust is the brightness - it's a little on the dark side, although the saturation may have to come down a bit if you do that. The contrast is also very low, but that probably is helping the antique look so it's probably better to leave it.

Lyandra
06-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Nothing to add except that it looks like a great start. :)

Scott Prevett
06-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Interesting - I was on my office computer when I posted before, and it looked dark there. Now that I see it on my home computer though, I like it so much better. Maybe I need to adjust my settings? Lol.
The color and textures make this map a classic, as well as the old world styling. One of the best I've seen here, seriously.