PDA

View Full Version : ****** May/June Lite Challenge VOTING: Verticality ******

Gidde
06-17-2012, 10:48 PM
It's time to vote again!

This month's lite challenge was to map a vertical structure; up or down, floor plan or pictorial, as long as the structure had at least 5 levels. We have some great entries this month :)

Please vote for ONE entry. The thumbnails can be found here:
May/June Lite Challenge Thumbnails (http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?84-Current-Lite-Mapping-Challenge-Thumbnails)

The poll will close in 3 days, and then we'll award the winner a shiny silver compass badge.

Good luck everyone!

Seraphine_Harmonium
06-18-2012, 03:25 PM
There were some good ones, but I went with Bogie's Broadway Tower. I really like the amount of detail, and how the ground gets progressively blurrier the further up you are.

lostatsea
06-18-2012, 04:46 PM
A lot of hard work and a lot of great entries . I had to go with Jaxilon. Fun ,colorful , Moody , lots of character !! Reps to all though !!

Bogie
06-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Voting as usual is very hard to pick. Lots of great maps.

atpollard and LindaJeanne both have very nice towers done in a clean architectural style. Simon33600 and anomiecoalition both have terrific entries in a similar style to mine, and they both used a lot of my art which is cool. Depassage snuck in at the last minute with a very colorful well drawn map that I think i will be using in a game soon. Fury's Tower is very original. Kearnaun's pagoda is very clean and precise in an iso style. BUT I had to vote for Jaxillon's caves, the art is just to damn good! And it kills me to do that because the last time I voted for him he beat me by one vote, Mine. LOL! Gotta put the vote where it is deserved.

Depassage
06-19-2012, 05:34 AM
Difficult choice again...

I know we can only choose one, but my top 3 would be:

1/ A Glass Tower - by atpollard: nice work and good idea of recycling a part of an existing building, also many details.
2/ Arcology of the Naelii - by LindaJeanne: good concept and realisation.
3/ Golgath Caverns - by Jaxilon: nice artwork.

The others have also many good points, but were lacking some features I would expected, for example an overall view or some other graphic elements (title, legend, background, etc.). I just realise now that I didn't put any legend... arf...

Great work everyone!

arsheesh
06-19-2012, 06:44 AM

1/ A Glass Tower - by atpollard: nice work and good idea of recycling a part of an existing building, also many details.

Those are my top three as well. This is a tough one, I went back and forth, but in the end I'm going with Jax's Golgath Caverns. Wish I could have voted for all three. Great job everyone.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Chashio
06-19-2012, 11:07 PM

The others have also many good points, but were lacking some features I would expected, for example an overall view or some other graphic elements (title, legend, background, etc.). I just realise now that I didn't put any legend... arf...

Great work everyone!

Yep, me too. Tough tough tough decision! I love the design of the Glass Tower by atpollard; the stained glass windows combined with the flying buttresses is beautiful. I did feel that the floor plans for such a delicate building were a bit heavy. I'm biased toward Jax's caves, because he did a fabulous job hand drawing it... and I'm biased toward LindaJeanne's because it's a similar idea for something I started designing some time ago and it's very well laid out. But it did take me a minute to figure out if it was concave or convex on account of a lack of shadows and my pea-sized brain. :P So I'm gonna have to go with... tick tick tick tick hmm... 3 minutes, 9 minutes, 10:56, tick tick... type type type. backspace. type type type type. highlight, delete, type type type type type ****E!

11:05... 11:07

never mind.

Chashio
06-19-2012, 11:15 PM
WAIT! oooooh..... Arcology. no.... yes. Arcology of the Naelii by LindaJeanne.

Jaxilon
06-20-2012, 09:24 AM
What a nail biter, this looks like it might come right down to the wire.

Bogie
06-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Congrats jax! Great map!

Jaxilon
06-21-2012, 01:16 AM
Thanks Bogie.

There were some great entries this round and I thought atpollard was going to pull it off.

It is bitter sweet because it marks my last entry in the Lite challenges. From here on out I only have half the challenges available and that is kind of a bummer. I'm sure I will miss this one.

I'm also kind of excited to be able to give my full focus to one challenge and not have to worry about having to choose. Plus, I get to go up against the big boys all the time now :O

Keep up the good artwork!

Lukc
06-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Congrats Jax and I know how you feel! The Lite challenges are really fun, but then once you're done, you're done ... and can't participate anymore!

arsheesh
06-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Congrats Jax! Well deserved.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

atpollard
06-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Congratulations Jax,
Your cream rose to the top.

Chashio
06-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Well earned Jax! Bright side: You can still get inspiration from the Lite Challenge, even if you can't enter anymore.

Depassage
06-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Congrats Jax! Well deserved.

Jaxilon
06-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Thanks everyone. We shall meet in the regular challenge arena where once again we will face off man to man, er, pen to pen, uhh, stylus to stylus?

:)

atpollard
06-21-2012, 04:28 PM
... so any word on the June/July challenge (some of us need more than two weeks) ;)

Gidde
06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Congratulations Jax! Badge for you and new challenge will both be had this evening :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gidde
06-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Holy cow, just gave Jax his award and realized that's 2 in a row! Well done Jax :)