PDA

View Full Version : June 2012 Entry: The Shores of Limbo

Lukc
06-18-2012, 08:46 AM
### Latest WIP ###

Hte Anld of het Spychci Rwsa as ni eht Ulbe Oeystr Cult onsg, depitced no eht oshers of Limbo. :twisted:

Fury
06-18-2012, 09:12 AM
The land of the ... ... in the Ubel ... Cult song, depicted on the shores of Limbo.

It reminds me of Japanese cartoons.

Lukc
06-18-2012, 09:56 AM
### Latest WIP ###

Well, thank you Fury ... that is partly the aesthetic I'm going for with the Vertical labels ... Anyway, this map is inspired by the rather epic, if a bit cheesy, Blue Öyster Cult song, Veteran of the Psychic Wars and the lyrics furnished all the place names. Also, the ground texture is a rust short of mine, while the terrains is ... playing around with embossing blend modes and masks. Fun fun in the sun.

Lukc
06-18-2012, 11:26 AM
### Latest WIP ###

Now, I can't decide if I want to go with a nice image (above), or a grunged one (as below).

Do you guys think the map might also need a legend and some background story? I actually get the weird idea that this might even be fun to play for a survival-horror fantasy rpg ... hmm. I should actually try that once - DM a game that really has no escape, where the players are literally slated to die from day one. Or maybe only one can survive of the group ...

vorropohaiah
06-18-2012, 12:05 PM
very interesting. i like the colour and more prominent texture in the 'clean' version though the grungy is one is more characterful. perhaps a cross between the 2?

more info on how you made the texture would be very welcome, that looks great

Lukc
06-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Hmm, which texture do you have in mind? The tortured terrain on the "land" area? That's done with a plain white layer in PS set to emboss blending options and then carved and chiselled with a layer mask. I used different brushes, from plain round to some texture, dry media and others. Another option would be to just set the whole layer mask to 50% grey first, then lower terrain with darker brushes and raise it with lighter ones.

The black "limbo" areas are one layer higher up, basically just a b/w layer set to multiply and painted with variable opacity round brushes.

As for the grunge - it's a sepia tone hue adjustment layer, a grunge border layer manipulated for more sharpness and on top a dusty screen layer.

lostatsea
06-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Looks Cool . I prefer the Grunge color scheme myself but maybe some small tint of the former. I love that song!>:)

arsheesh
06-18-2012, 08:15 PM
I too prefer the grunged version. I'm envious at how quickly you were able to complete this! It looks really good.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

dangerdog15
06-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Very clever! The style is a lot of fun.:)

Lukc
06-20-2012, 07:01 AM
### Latest WIP ###

Here it is, pretty much finished. I've added a bit of background and detail, so it should* be enough for any experienced DM to run a bit of gaming with this ... or at least give a few ideas of what and how to deal with it!

Jaxilon
06-20-2012, 09:32 AM
If there is one tool I envy from PS it's the way you guys can make that shaved clay look. I just love the pits and valleys you have on this and I haven't figured out a way to make the same look in Gimp.

lostatsea
06-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Jaxilon I don't if this is how he did it but that effect can be done with bevel / emboss . I think Gimp has something similar. You use a low opacity eraser to cut into your top layer. Different brushes cause different effects. Also it helps to set up the bevel/emboss then do the actual erasing / painting so you can see what your getting. In ps you can go back and tweek the settings at will. ! Don't know about GIMP ?

Lyandra
06-25-2012, 07:40 PM
This is so cool! Awesome map! :D