PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Coffee

Chashio
06-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Just having a bit of fun. =)

Redrobes
06-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Heh heh - like it... You know we should have a challenge based around a real world bit of noise pattern like coffee or the eye iris recently posted and make a map from it. You should have to post the original noise source unless its fairly obvious like in this case.

This also reminds me of a Dilbert strip where they are looking for a new corporate logo spending squillions on Dogberts marketing consultancy but where the result was a coffee ring stain on the counter top - oh yeah here it is... http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1996-06-11/ ... still makes me chuckle.

Jaxilon
06-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Awesome, I guess I'm not the only one looking around for things that remind me of maps.

Veldehar
06-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Excellent. Wish I had done that, LOL.

Chashio
06-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks, all!

@Redrobes - Yes! I would definitely want into that challenge. Did a map, doing a map, a while ago, from a patch of chipped paint and a dried flower/its shadow on a concrete floor. Gave it rest after outlining all of the tiny islands (three times) and sectioning it into six pieces for an atlas-type book. =) Cute Dilbert strip.

@Jaxilon - I actually do that a lot, not just with maps but creatures and paintings and such. I think it comes of growing up in a house with pine board ceilings, making pictures from the knots. =)

@Veldehar - That's what I said to myself when I saw that eyeland map by Poison. ;) Of course, I don't have his kinda irises... but I'm always staring at my coffee mug. There's a dragon/dinosaur head in my sketchbook that came directly from this practice of gazing. (Yes, I'm weird.)

Revock
06-23-2012, 10:11 PM
LOL, I love it, my coffee once had that plus volcanoes (wierd bubbles) when the milk was 4 days out of date. Always smell the milk before you pour it, then there won't be maps in it.

Chashio
06-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Haha! Thanks, but mine is because I forget about it until it's gone cold. Tea, too. =)

xoxos
06-24-2012, 12:20 AM
i'd rep you again if i could :p

"great wall of china"

Depassage
06-24-2012, 04:19 AM
Very nice and creative idea!

Lyandra
06-24-2012, 04:22 AM
Wow, this is so awesome! :D So you too see maps and creatures and weird things everywhere? I don't feel so weird anymore.^^
The challenge idea sounds great. I'm sure that everyone would have a lot of fun participating and observing the creation of the weirdest maps ever! :P

Chashio
06-24-2012, 04:24 AM
i'd rep you again if i could :p

"great wall of china"

I couldn't help myself. :)

@Depassage - Thank you =)

Chashio
06-24-2012, 04:30 AM
@Lyandra - Thanks! Yes, I do see those things everywhere. The odd looks I get from people when I tell them what I'm looking at are almost as much fun! ;)

Perhaps we should post the challenge idea in the suggestions forum?

Lyandra
06-24-2012, 06:06 AM
We should. It's too awesome an idea not to make it a challenge! I suggest that you as the author of this thread ought to post it. :) You got my vote already.^^

Chashio
06-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I will do that, then. =)

Poison
06-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Ooh, I love this! For a moment I thought you'd actually painted the inside of the mug with ceramic paint.

And I also very much second the idea of the maps-based-on-stuff challenge. Not necessarily an iris, as I did, but there are so many possibilities. Freckle archipelagos, spilled porridge, Patterns of moss on concrete, pictures of clouds in the sky... Yes. This should happen!

Chashio
06-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks Poison!

I posted the suggestion poll, so if you'd like this to become a challenge VOTE YES here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?19182-Maps-Based-from-Real-World-Noise-Patterns

xoxos
06-24-2012, 02:33 PM
scuse me for not digging this up myself..

i noticed you used the same brush in this project as the free map you're doing. would you mind a very quick reference on which brush that is? (guessing it's a photoshop brush of a style i routinely ignore for some reason..)

and more praise.. the geography in this little map is very convincing.

Chashio
06-24-2012, 02:47 PM
@xoxos - The brush is one I made from one or two others that I made while working on another free map. ;) Open the brush dialog box thingy and mess around with the settings on a basic one (chalk or whatnot) and then mess around some more with different possibilities for the dual brush, set it to wet blending (or whatsit called) and then make sure to save the variant when you get something you like. The spacing, scatter, and angle were the things I messed with the most. Actually, I think the dual brush was a tree or something like that, haha!

Nightdragon
06-24-2012, 05:15 PM
thats great! I love that idea. Its really fancy. First I thought you painted your cup, but the reality is more awesome :D

~Nightdragon

Chashio
06-24-2012, 06:23 PM
@Nightdragon - Thanks! And you can do it with just about any camera and brush. ;) You know, you should really have an avatar pic to go with that cool name of yours.