PDA

View Full Version : The Growing Country Town of Littleknownof, in a not-too-distant corner of Isometria

Chashio
06-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Never done a map in isometric before, so I'm doing it rough*. And I'm finding it extremely difficult to not slip into my artistic-perspective mind, so if you catch something out of iso, please point it out with great enthusiasm**!

### LATEST WIP ###

*In the spirit of practice and exploration, and the vicissitudinous architectural tastes of the inhabitants of Littleknownof, I reserve the right to mash up the styles of individual parts of this map.

**You may interpret the meaning of 'great enthusiasm' however you like.

Lyandra
06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
So far it looks great! Good luck with the challenge! :)

LindaJeanne
06-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Very nice!

Seraphine_Harmonium
06-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Looks good so far!

Chashio
06-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks guys =) Here's a tiny update. Looking at my town, I was so tempted to take flight with my perspective that I sketched in a heavy wall at the top to sit on me. It actually helped, even though I didn't get much further. Just roughed in a dirt road.

### LATEST WIP ###

Chashio
06-26-2012, 06:34 PM
A tentative wip. I was attempting to make the buildings non-parallel to each other, but I think I messed up the iso. :?:

### LATEST WIP ###

arsheesh
06-26-2012, 06:53 PM
This is fantastic! This looks more like work I'd expect to see in a Golden Compass challenge. Looking forward to watching this develop.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

lostatsea
06-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Very nicely done indeed !!

Bogie
06-27-2012, 12:46 AM
E
..x
....c
.......e
..........l
............l
...............e
..................n
.....................t

Chashio
06-27-2012, 02:06 AM
:blush: You guys are nice. Cleaned up a few of the buildings and, surprise! One of them is a stable!!! =D (I used to have horses, so don't mind my crazy excitement) I haven't drawn a barn in years.

### LATEST WIP ###

Jaxilon
06-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Wow man, this is really amazing. You are doing such a great job on this so far. Awesome!!

Chashio
06-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks Jax! =)

Chashio
06-29-2012, 04:44 AM
Crap and a half! I forgot to turn the grid layer off when I made a selection to copy all of the visible layers to play with something then spent four hours detailing on top of it. And I stayed up all night doing it! Double craps!

EDIT: You know what, it doesn't matter. =) I'm going to have a good day. And lots of coffee.

Jaxilon
06-29-2012, 10:04 AM
You can possibly remove the grid by creating a new layer using the same grid and setting it to difference. I think that's the right one...anyway it will cancel out the existing grid. Unless you have painted over the lines in which case you will have different lines on those areas but you might be able to fiddle with the settings to remove most of it. Just a thought. I hate it when I do dumb stuff like that. At least you haven't blown away your entire file by saving over the top of it. :O

Chashio
06-29-2012, 01:29 PM
You can possibly remove the grid by creating a new layer using the same grid and setting it to difference. I think that's the right one...anyway it will cancel out the existing grid. Unless you have painted over the lines in which case you will have different lines on those areas but you might be able to fiddle with the settings to remove most of it. Just a thought. I hate it when I do dumb stuff like that. At least you haven't blown away your entire file by saving over the top of it. :O

Wow. I did not think of that. And I've been playing with the difference style to make some interesting brick textures lately, too. Jeez. I'll keep it in mind. I did paint over it... it's all hand painted style... and I spent about two more hours fixing it as much as I cared to this morning. Also helped that the cottage it meshed over has a field-stone siding; the little bits still there don't show too much at 100%. May see what the difference does to it now. Thanks for the tip!

At least you haven't blown away your entire file by saving over the top of it. :O

;) I have done that too, just not to this one. That really would dishearten.

Chashio
06-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Update with field-stone cottage and revision of the tower house, plus a teeny lamp and sign on the well. :)

### LATEST WIP ###

Larb
06-29-2012, 05:49 PM
That is a very very cute little well you have there. =P

Lyandra
06-29-2012, 06:47 PM
This looks so beautiful already! I love the artistic, "dreamy" style you using. :)

Chashio
06-29-2012, 07:45 PM
=) Thank you both. I'm enjoying sneaking in a bunch of little details that you can't quite see in this res-dwn version. Hmm... I think it's devolving into an artistic, "sketchy" style that's been chewed on by a puppy. Perhaps I'll have to up the effort again but, after doing that little cottage, I'm feeling lazy. =P Thank you nature, for your lovely thunderstorm that forces me to stop staring at the computer screen and get some much needed sleep. Or... maybe I'll pick up my favorite pen and work on something else. heheheh!

### LATEST WIP ###

Riggamorphus
06-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Great Job Chashio,

The raw art textures are just is something that makes this complete. Perspective is really nice but I don't think you have to be exact for this piece.

rigg

Chashio
06-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks Rigg! Maybe not too exact, but it's good for learning. ;)

What would people think if I drew little sheep-dragons behind that atrociously huge wall? Or Python rabbits? :P

lostatsea
06-30-2012, 02:41 PM
I REALLY love the style you are doing here. Keep it coming. Strange question though. Are all the graves "Fresh" in the grave yard or are they all still mounded for emphasis ? I'd go for the sheep dragons if I were you ; if you want to "cutesy" Up the theme. If you want to keep it "serious" then probably not. Love where this is going. You have a great hand-drawn / Sketchy style !!

Chashio
06-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Glad you're enjoying it! That's a very good strange question; I was just mounding the graves for emphasis, but I didn't really think about it. Huh.

Sheep dragons are not "cutesy"! **scoffing in mock outrage** =)

Blaidd Drwg
07-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Awesome!
I'm going to have a very hard time voting for someone, that much is certain :)

LindaJeanne
07-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Love your drawing style.

Chashio
07-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Okay, this one's out of the challenge. Computer crash, I can't get access to my files in order to finish it in time. So, a mod can remove it from the voting poll if necessary.

Blaidd Drwg
07-14-2012, 12:05 PM
... Aaaargh, that is such a shame :(
I could see this map winning the contest. I'll just rep it now if I cannot vote for it. Hope you get everything back soon.

jtougas
07-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Never give up. It's worth voting on just for the effort you put in. Great job and it's too bad about the crash.... Repped !!

Larb
07-14-2012, 04:38 PM
That's awful news, I was looking forward to seeing what this would be like once finished. =(

Gidde
07-14-2012, 05:31 PM
That is indeed a shame :( I'll be posting the voting, so I can leave it out if you like, but we usually still put incomplete entries in the voting. So I'll leave it in unless you confirm that you want it out.

Chashio
07-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Nah, take it out. I'll probably finish it eventually, outside the challenge.

arsheesh
07-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Man that really sucks Chashio, I was really enjoying watching this map develop. I hope you get the computer sorted, and that you do finish it at some point.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh