PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] New Arden Map 2012

Schwarzkreuz
06-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Hi there,

After a while I realy want to redo my most important map. When I started last September to do the Arden Map, I didnt know much about digital Mapmaking, but learned fast and intergrated the knowledge of this Community into a project I dreamed to do. Now I am going back to my original Arden map and completely redo it. The former version was 90cm x 120cm, but what I have in mind for the new one, which will be done on seperated pieces, will be 450cm x 600cm, or 55.000px x 90.000px on 25 Maps, each the same size as the old one. Well I dont know if I will realy do them all, (some Locations are quiet minor), but will at least try.

The first map will be about the Imperial Province of Keldon.
It is home to the sturdy and harsh Tribes and Clans of the Koldonians, which are dominated by primal Hunting cults and pray to the Gods of Iron, Stone, Fire and Forgery. Their Craftmanship and code of honor is well known in the realms of the Imperium and many stories are told about the hightkings of the past and their lagacy. Every ten years one of the five Great-Clans is choosen to serve the Imperator with a host of a hundred elite worriors to be his Bodygards and the Heavy Infanterists of the 4th Legion, consisting traditionally nearly complete of Keldonian Veterans.

Known mostly in my stories as some steriotype of the nobel savage, the Conans and Skyrim Nords of Arden, I now wish to shape them, explore their old history and also the wars and conflicts including some of the neighbor Realms.
Therefore I will also add on this map; the City-State and Tradeoligarchy of Myrad, the Backlands of eastern Arndie and Brest, the Protectorat of Tamaresh, the Miden Dasha Nomad terretories, The Jewel at the Gates of Earth City State Dahlmasir, Old Kartazal, the Cornessa Forest and Keldon itself.

So far I am using the new Aldebaran Set of brushes and reuse soem of my old textures, for giving it a feeling of connectivity to the old map. The rivers are completely redone (without river police in my neck) and new forests.
I have just finished the mountains.

Comments and Critiques welcome.

Schwarzkreuz
06-26-2012, 08:09 PM
And here is a full view on the Keldon Map (croped version) with a cut out of the old map to compare.

arsheesh
06-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Sounds fairly ambitious, but you are certainly off to a great start!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

s0meguy
06-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Nice style. Looking forward to what you'll come up with.

Bogie
06-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Looking good!

Blaidd Drwg
06-27-2012, 05:53 AM
This is ambitious in the extreme, wow :D
The old Arden map is very beautiful, but the new one ... I really hope you'll find the time to do all of it, because it's brilliant. Good luck!

Eilathen
06-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Wow, huge project you're planning! I wish you all the best with it. And i am totally looking forward to it! I hope you'll let us in on the history you'll write up as well.

Lukc
06-27-2012, 08:43 AM
You mad, mad person you! :D Looking great!

Veldehar
06-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Gorgeous, love the style and look.

Schwarzkreuz
06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
You mad, mad person you! :D Looking great!

I try to evolve and now to summerize my experience that I made the last half year. It will take me for sure some time but well, it feels good to have something to come back to.

Lyandra
06-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Very ambitious! I love your Arden map style so I will be watching this thread closely. I am really looking forward to how it develops. Good luck with the project! May you finish it. ;)

Schwarzkreuz
06-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Ok here is a tryout of a colored version.

Bogie
06-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Coming along nicely, the color is a good touch.

Lyandra
06-28-2012, 12:15 AM
It is nice to see you are experimenting with the style. Colour version looks good so far.

vorropohaiah
06-28-2012, 03:39 AM
must have missed this one before... subscribed!

Schwarzkreuz
06-28-2012, 03:48 AM
must have missed this one before... subscribed!

I like your project too. Its nice to see how different peopl Approach Maps here

Hannibal.Lector
06-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Ok here is a tryout of a colored version.

It is maps like these that keep me hooked to place like a bug nailed to an Oak tree. :) Wonderful!

Schwarzkreuz
06-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Ok, I spend my time doing 1550 new Brushes for the new Arden maps.
Here is a small preview of one page from 8 Pages finished. When I am done with all plans there should be about 2000 Brushes. I am well aware that for most members here such an amount are way to much and the question arises why not spend the time instead to do it all with a graphic tablet in PS? The feeling of the pen and the ink is something I need to give life into my drawings, something directly from me unfiltered through electronics. And anyway I have more space to improve in such a way.

Bogie
06-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Excellent brushes Schwarzkreuz! These will see a lot of use.

Schwarzkreuz
06-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Excellent brushes Schwarzkreuz! These will see a lot of use.

Some of them are inspired by DJ's Pit of War maps. There will be more comming, when I decide on some styles for them.

vorropohaiah
06-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Love the brushes. Reminds me, Need to do some more of own

Schwarzkreuz
06-29-2012, 03:37 AM
Love the brushes. Reminds me, Need to do some more of own

I had the Sam though when i was seeing your brushes. Your style of Rendering is the oposite of mine, more softer edges and shadings.

Lyandra
06-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Beautiful brushes. I know what you mean about feeling the pen in your hand. I recently tried to draw some maps directly in Photoshop.It turned out to be quite challenging and I still prefer to work with the traditional medium. I just have to practice more I suppose to get the "feel of the tablet".^^
Using brushes in Photoshop the way you do seems very tedious and difficult to me. How do you avoid the overlapping? Do you erase the unwanted bits keeping the brushes on separate layers? Your maps look entirely hand-drawn, if I did not know it, I would not suspect the use of brushes. I truly admire your work and techniques. :)

Schwarzkreuz
07-02-2012, 08:35 AM
When i have some time a can Upload a step-by-step about my workflow.

vorropohaiah
07-02-2012, 08:40 AM
I had the Sam though when i was seeing your brushes. Your style of Rendering is the oposite of mine, more softer edges and shadings.

The new set of mountains i done were actually harder-edged... i used a few but they looked different-enough that i decided against using them too much.

A step-by-step would be nice :)

Schwarzkreuz
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
The new set of mountains i done were actually harder-edged... i used a few but they looked different-enough that i decided against using them too much.

A step-by-step would be nice :)

Actually I was referring to the shadowside of your mountains, they are looking a lot softer/difuse than my hardedge lines in the shadows. I guess my english-skills did mixed the message up. I think I use them more in a painterly style than you, filling a lot of the map with mountains, icons, symbols and so on. Well perhaps more collage/Puzzle than painting. But I slowly want to get into color rendering of maps.

A Step-by_Step would be simply how I build up a system of Brushes, about the different angles of the endings and how to number the variations to have a decent set.

vorropohaiah
07-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Actually I was referring to the shadowside of your mountains, they are looking a lot softer/difuse than my hardedge lines in the shadows. I guess my english-skills did mixed the message up.

No I got you, I meant just that - the scan of my new set of mountains ended up with a lot sharper/blockier shading which didn't fit in, but I think I'm still looking for my 'style'. Seems pike you've found yours :)

arsheesh
07-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Those are some nice looking brushes Schwarzkreuz.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Schwarzkreuz
07-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Thank you. At this Moment i try to improove my Set with different types of plants, so there will Be n÷ more Clone Tree armies anymore

Schwarzkreuz
07-08-2012, 08:02 AM
The trees are finished, now i want to trying the treething. I Hope i understand it fast to integrate my own trees into it.

Schwarzkreuz
07-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Hi, here comes the next 250 new Mountains I am doing right now.
They are heavily inspired by Djekspeks Pit of War maps, and I hope to try them out soon this week. I am now trying to get more into the field of colored and full rendered maps.

Schwarzkreuz
07-17-2012, 10:01 PM
I have also posted my Layoutgrids HERE (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?19431-Brushes-amp-Other-Tools-Schwarzkreuz-Map-Elements-Collection&p=191834#post191834), which I from now on use for designing Mountain sets.

Schwarzkreuz
07-18-2012, 01:31 AM
New Mountains first edit.
I tryed this time to archieve Mountains that are inspired by Torstan and Djekspek┤s Styles. All in All 60 Brushes

vorropohaiah
07-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Hi, here comes the next 250 new Mountains I am doing right now.
They are heavily inspired by Djekspeks Pit of War maps, and I hope to try them out soon this week. I am now trying to get more into the field of colored and full rendered maps.

getting rid of that grid must be annoying... surely?

Schwarzkreuz
07-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Those from the above have still to be scanned. After working in the mathpaper i decided to do the digital Grid and Print them for drawing.

Lukc
07-18-2012, 05:23 AM
You could print out a grid and lay it under plain white paper - that should make it easier! :)

Looks nice, btw. But, how do you get coloured brushes in photoshop? Or are you using something else?

Schwarzkreuz
07-18-2012, 06:44 AM
You could print out a grid and lay it under plain white paper - that should make it easier! :)

Looks nice, btw. But, how do you get coloured brushes in photoshop? Or are you using something else?

I actually do have such a drawing desk with a glasplate to put a lamp under it, but I need a new lamp. In the Map Elements section I got a gridpaper for use online. I try this out right now and its pretty nice to use.

Sapiento
07-18-2012, 07:01 AM
New Mountains first edit.
I tryed this time to archieve Mountains that are inspired by Torstan and Djekspek┤s Styles. All in All 60 Brushes

A pity that PS cannot save multi-coloured brushes.

Schwarzkreuz
07-18-2012, 08:22 AM
A pity that PS cannot save multi-coloured brushes.

Well, PNG with transperencys are also ok. I puzzle them together in blocks to use, thats also fitting my workingstyle.

Sapiento
07-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Well, PNG with transperencys are also ok. I puzzle them together in blocks to use, thats also fitting my workingstyle.

I use the same technique for coloured map elements, but the clone tool is less efficient than a brush would be. Who knows, maybe future versions of PS will see such a feature included.

Schwarzkreuz
07-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I hope so too. It realy is a lot of work anyway, but colored brushes would make it simplier. The clonetool... I put them into order by hand, have to try this.

Schwarzkreuz
08-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Ok, I am back at this map now and hoping to be able to finish it to the one year anyversary of the Arden Map in Mid-Oktober

Schwarzkreuz
08-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Ok Here is a try on a smaller Worldmap of Arden, which means basicly that I will also show the other continents known to the imperial crown. Well the broken continent on the left side is along the Equatorial line and the northpole is still unexplored, so there are plenty of room for the southern continents and to the west and east.

Eilathen
08-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Nice shapes! I like it. An interesting ocean texture and color. Looks good. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Schwarzkreuz
08-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Ok here is a small update on nameming the Mayor areas.

Diamond
08-25-2012, 01:23 AM
Lookin' good man.

arsheesh
08-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Yup, looking real good.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

lxdengar
09-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Oooh, fantastic. Great work, as always.

Datoria
09-04-2012, 09:22 AM
As usual, I'm learning loads from seeing other people's workflows. This is looking beautiful. I particularly like the colours you're using.

lxdengar
09-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Schwarzkreuz, can you talk about how you're making the additional ripple lines in your rivers? They're very smooth, and it looks better than the selection "expand/border" method I attempted.

Schwarzkreuz
09-05-2012, 09:03 PM
@ lxdengar

Thats ultra easy, but I wonder why nearly nobody use this little trick.
Just hit Selection - alter Selection _ Smooth bye mosty 10 or 15

lxdengar
09-07-2012, 01:53 PM
@ lxdengar

Ha! That's great. The best tricks are the ones right under your nose. Thank you, I'll try that.

Schwarzkreuz
09-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Here is a small preview on my working process.

Most of my time is spend doing the mountains for a new set of map brushes. for me its more than just graphic design. Its Meditation, its Art, its my way of living. Slow pase, and concentrate on the beouty of a line.
Ok well my babble is sometimes a bit esoterical, but who cares? Since I found the guild last year, a livelong hobby began to turn into a passion, or a passion finally got its form. Since than, (Oktober 11) I have done more than 10.000 Mountain Icons.

The First set was my Arden Brushes, available in the elements section of the Forum, after that came the Ras Algethi & the Aldebaran Set and now the new Carcosa Set.
I constantly try to improve my Skills in drawing elements for maps in the hightes quality, within my possibilties. Till the end of the year, when I have collected enough material, I will publish a small book with the Title "Stadt, Land, Flu▀", which means "City, Land, River". It will be collecting most of my Elements to date, with a comment text on Fantasy-Mapmaking.

Seleucus I
09-10-2012, 12:23 AM
I salute you - that amount of work humbles and slightly terrifies me. I can't wait to see how it all comes together!

Carbus
09-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Outstanding work Schwarzkreuz, I envy you and your drawing skills. To tell the truth you inspired me to do the same, so I bought one sketchbook and started doing the same, so i could create my own collection of mountains and stuff.
If I may ask you one question, how do u place your mountains, one by one and build a range of them?? I tried to transform these mountains into brushes, but they would be on top of each other in a weird way.
Thanks, and keep on the good work, you inspire me!

Schwarzkreuz
09-10-2012, 06:46 AM
I use 12 layers of Mountains for overlapping Elements. And than masking them to erase the overlapping areas. Shall i do a Tutorial,?

Carbus
09-10-2012, 11:13 AM
I use 12 layers of Mountains for overlapping Elements. And than masking them to erase the overlapping areas. Shall i do a Tutorial,?

If you can I shall be very grateful to you! :)

Schwarzkreuz
09-10-2012, 06:11 PM
If you can I shall be very grateful to you! :)

Hi Carbus, can you show me your Mountains? So i can See whats the Best Way to use them.

Blaidd Drwg
09-11-2012, 03:14 AM
@ lxdengar

*takes notes*

Schwarzkreuz
09-16-2012, 09:46 PM
If I wouldnt be so bad in writing an apealing text in english, I would realy like to do a proper tutorial. I have started to make some but well it still feels a bit off.

Schwarzkreuz
09-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Ok here is a very short but illustrative Tutorial on my Mapping process, at least at drawing my Mountainsets

Lyandra
11-01-2012, 05:39 AM
I cannot wait to see this finished... Nice little tut. :)

Schwarzkreuz
11-01-2012, 07:28 AM

Schwarzkreuz
11-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi here is a new Preview of the Keldon Map.

vorropohaiah
11-10-2012, 12:50 PM
lovely stuff! some interesting names too. cardona is a pretty common surname where im from!

arsheesh
11-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Ooh, I really dig the look of this. The trees turned out really nice, and the river contours look great as well (and your mountains are always amazing). Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Schwarzkreuz
12-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Well I am slow as hell always...

But nontheless here are the completed new revised outlines of the World of Arden Map.
The original Map was only depicting the Middle of the two central continents where 99% of my fictional history takes place.
As I am used to Eilathen nagging me to spill out complete Worldmaps of my concepts, here it is! ;)

This maps included some of my affords of the past months: New Texture style, Grids, Waterlines, Textureburn PS Actionscript, Handdrawns Borders, New Colorsheme and so on. :)

Mountains, Forests and Labels come when I am done with my commissions.

arsheesh
12-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Looks very promising! Hurry up with those commissions ;).

cheers,
-Arsheesh

Schwarzkreuz
12-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Oh well, Arsheesh. You know exactly how much it is, dont we? ;)
Thanks again for the chance to step in.

Eilathen
12-27-2012, 08:42 AM
As I am used to Eilathen nagging me to spill out complete Worldmaps of my concepts, here it is! ;)

You're welcome! ;) :D

Looking forward to seeing this world develop, SK!
Oh and you promised us a Xmas-map in another thread... :P ;)

I'll rep you, if i can.

Diamond
12-28-2012, 02:39 AM
Damn that's nice. Love it.

Schwarzkreuz
01-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Inspired by Sapiento, who was also inspired by Joan Blaeu's Maps, I decided do try Icons similar to his Wyrtenheim and Khefaria Map.
I am still working on some long running commissions and will hopefully comeback to these here soon.

rjames112
01-02-2013, 06:29 PM
I'd give you more rep, but again I've got to spread it around, and I don't think Joan Blaeu takes rep anymore haha

I'm wondering with the revised map what sort of background pattern did you use to get the aged look, I've found some online but none match up well enough. Also how did you add the Rhumb lines?

Schwarzkreuz
01-03-2013, 07:21 AM
I'd give you more rep, but again I've got to spread it around, and I don't think Joan Blaeu takes rep anymore haha

I'm wondering with the revised map what sort of background pattern did you use to get the aged look, I've found some online but none match up well enough. Also how did you add the Rhumb lines?

Sorry i don't understand the word Rhumb.

For textures, try go to a Library and scan old books. In my Case i Tool old French dictionaries. Nobody read them since the '50.

rjames112
01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Great thanks!
The Rhumb lines are the diagonal grid lines in the background.

Schwarzkreuz
01-04-2013, 12:04 AM
You can find it here http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/19431-%5Bbrushes-other-tools%5D-schwarzkreuz-map-elements-collection.html

- Max -
01-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Inspired by Sapiento, who was also inspired by Joan Blaeu's Maps, I decided do try Icons similar to his Wyrtenheim and Khefaria Map.
I am still working on some long running commissions and will hopefully comeback to these here soon.

So here are those famous red cities icons! Looks nice

Schwarzkreuz
01-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Yes indeed.

Here is a small progress on things here.