PDA

View Full Version : Hyberga

Sapiento
06-28-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm trying an not so common colour palette with this map. Also some new mountain and hill brushes.

vorropohaiah
06-28-2012, 10:11 AM
the green water does convey the cold nicely :)

Sapiento
06-29-2012, 03:14 AM
More progress. I reduced the whiteness of the southern and middle part, and also gave the mountains and hills some unusual colours.
In the sea I added rhumb lines, coast lines and a wave pattern for the open sea.

I'm a bit unsure about the city icons, however.

Schwarzkreuz
06-29-2012, 03:51 AM
I am well surprised how well the grey undercolor Works out. The repeating Mountain Clusters are also well made. I am too trying to do some clusters for faster mapping. The colors of the icons Reflexe the borders well and i think the Match the Overall saturated style. The additional circles in the lines in the ocean are also some Great asset. Its stunning for me to see your Experiments with every Map!

Lyandra
06-29-2012, 09:09 PM
A very interesting choice of colours. I really like it. The city icons look great to me. Their colours work nicely with the rest of the map. Awesome stuff as always Sapiento! :)

Veldehar
06-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Well, I'm not as in love with this one as your past works, all the lines, contours and textures in the water get a bit busy for my taste. Beautiful work, as always, I'm just not "feeling" this one like others you've done, LOL. Fascinating color scheme, works better than I would've expected.

Seraphine_Harmonium
06-30-2012, 03:25 AM
Looks much better up close than as a thumbnail. I think three sets of radial lines in the water are a bit much though. I do like the way the color gradient on the trees works. It gives a sense of different trees suiting different climates.

Sapiento
06-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Looks much better up close than as a thumbnail. I think three sets of radial lines in the water are a bit much though. I do like the way the color gradient on the trees works. It gives a sense of different trees suiting different climates.

Thank you. Actually I have placed four sets of lines, not three. ;) I'm aware that it looks somewhat crowded, but I want to keep the map potentially useful for a domestic seafarer (not very probable I guess ;) )
I'm happy the gradient on the trees works as intended.

jbgibson
06-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but aren't rhumb lines an aid to navigation specific to one destination ? I.e. the bearings you have to set to arrive near Biell ... which won't have any practical use if one is navigating the big lake 200 milia NNE of there. So I'd lose the inland rhumbs, as well as any that are nothing but short crossbars on a long estuary. Same with the circles - the sea distance from Biell kind of loses its meaning among the islands off the coast to the north - why bother continuing the Biell concentric circles up there? That's speaking strictly as though I were a real period cartographer -- because if the sole purpose is art or illustration rather than travel, all the systems of lines do look pretty !

The slightly-approximate tinting is wonderful - such no doubt would be hand-done, and not perfectly registered.

I think the city icons are great. They fit the whole very-handdrawn vibe. Some of the labels though... think about how Sr. Manuel Cartographer made this. If it's a one-off, how'd he erase the neat halo around, say, Frotera? Or if he had the forethought to lay it ALL out before starting to ink, I bet he wouldn't have bothered to draw slivers of hill, or by Aolovi a sliver of tree. If I was hand-inking Frotera's label, I'd probably leave the hills alone, and use the clear space to its NW. Mind you, that is no solution for places like the city across the bay from Onas :-(.

How do you keep the concentric coastal wave lines so nice and slightly irregular? We see so many "hand-drawn" maps with what looks like machine-drawn geometrically perfect wave lines.

By the way, Apprentice Cartographer Lucio reports the twitch he developed while engraving all those midocean waves is almost gone, and he should be able to return to work in a fortnight or so. He apologizes for throwing the ripple-edge T-square through your window, and can he please have some of the pay you've withheld to pay for the glass? If he starves, you'll have to break in a new minion.

jfrazierjr
07-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Personally, I MUCH prefer the first version's water(without he wavy lines or Rhumb lines), but like the coloration of the land mass you added to the second.

Chashio
07-06-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm aware that it looks somewhat crowded, but I want to keep the map potentially useful for a domestic seafarer (not very probable I guess ;) )

A very nice map. =)

There's one big thing that bugs me and it's in both versions. Your background paper texture is too 'splotchy', and too evenly splotchy. It's adding to the crowded appearance. I would love to see what your map looks like on a plain background, or at least more plain.

That's an interesting color scheme, I like it for the most part (the red mountains and hills look a little weird, where you've actually changed the line color). I had a great time looking at all the different city icons, I love when people use a variety... and so pretty, too. ;) I'd not want to live in those mountains, though; they look menacing... except for the mesas. I'm just itching to draw some giant trees on top of them. =) Don't mind me.

I do have to agree with jbgibson about the label placement. I'd move them onto the bare areas so they don't overlap the mountains and rivers, etc.

Sapiento
07-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Small update. I tried to place the city names in empty spaces or 'erased' the underlying drawing where necessary.

I'm aware that the sea looks somewhat crowded. Hm, maybe I'll change that.

@jbgibson: for the coastal lines I usually use the selections and paths in different ways. To get the irregular effect I apply a very soft ripple effect.

Gidde
07-11-2012, 04:50 PM
I think the labeling looks much better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sapiento
07-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Small update with just a few labels added.

Any proposals for special features on this map?

Ourea
07-20-2012, 12:10 PM
The labeling is quite lovely. That color scheme is really doing something special :D I like it very much.

Schwarzkreuz
07-20-2012, 05:34 PM
I only dislike the overlapping elements of the font at places like Tetesia and Fortin. And all big "P" and "T" letters are wrong in the Size of line (falsch kalibirerte Strichstärke des Fonts), they are to thick. Theses typograpgical mistakes can spoil the map especialy the last ones with P and T, they are realy anoying. The rest of the map is just fantastic.

Sapiento
07-21-2012, 08:00 AM
The labeling is quite lovely. That color scheme is really doing something special :D I like it very much.

Thanks!

I only dislike the overlapping elements of the font at places like Tetesia and Fortin. And all big "P" and "T" letters are wrong in the Size of line (falsch kalibirerte Strichstärke des Fonts), they are to thick. Theses typograpgical mistakes can spoil the map especialy the last ones with P and T, they are realy anoying. The rest of the map is just fantastic.

Well, I don't think that I can do very much concerning the capital letters. Choosing a smaller font size doesn't work very well.

Lukc
07-21-2012, 08:34 AM
I think Schwarzkreuz means the line thickness - yes, it's a bit off on a few of the glyphs, but in a pre-modern style map I can accept it. Like a map done up in a print-shop with a few wacky letters and no time to replace them before the print is due :)

Schwarzkreuz
07-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Well but in Medieval Times they were pretty acurate with this.

@ Sapiento: try reducing the left/right size of the individual capital letters by some %

Blaidd Drwg
07-21-2012, 01:34 PM
The wavy pattern causes a strange, even wavier artifact when you don't zoom in, which is kind of a shame when you want to see the whole map. Maybe decreasing their opacity would cause it to disappear? When zoomed in, those waves look great. I myself don't really see anything wrong with the fonts, but I'm anything but an expert. I'll take Schwarzkreuz's word for it :P
Other than that, this looks so beautiful I'm just about ready to bin my own map that I'm currently doing and start all over ;)

Sapiento
07-22-2012, 09:38 AM
I have to accept the small differences in line thickness of the capital letter - I don't want to change the font. The left/right orientation brought some success, however.
I call this map finished.