PDA

View Full Version : Redraw an old map!

RecklessEnthusiasm
06-29-2012, 02:46 AM
Simple idea, inspired by a deviant-art meme that has been floating around for a while: redraw one of your old maps to see how far you've come! The final post should be the original map and the new version side-by-side. I'd personally love to see how far I've come, and it would be awesome to see some of "the greats" post their early work along side their current level of mastery.

eViLe_eAgLe
06-29-2012, 04:14 AM
This does indeed sound interesting.

fifty
06-29-2012, 05:02 AM
Great idea, although I'm totally new to this site so I reckon I'm a dozen tutorials and a good year away from being able to say I've come a long way! :D

Bogie
06-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Cool Idea.

Blaidd Drwg
06-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Seems like a great idea :D

Lyandra
06-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Great challenge suggestion! Although my maps are far from perfect, I feel that I've come far enough to try redrawing some of them. I actually have done it twice with one of my old maps. ;)

Larb
06-29-2012, 05:53 PM
I did this very recently on the town board. I think it's actually a very good exercise and can be pretty inspiring to both the artist and people looking at it because it allows you to see the progress you have made.

Seraphine_Harmonium
06-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I like the idea, though I am not sure that enough time has passed for me to really be ready for it yet. But I vote yes for the principle of it.

Larb
06-29-2012, 10:26 PM
I like the idea, though I am not sure that enough time has passed for me to really be ready for it yet. But I vote yes for the principle of it.

Even if the challenge doesn't happen and even if you don't think you're in a position to do it just now, I strongly urge you to do it as a personal exercise in the future at some point. You will be surprised by the progress you've made and I'm pretty sure you'll suddenly be struck with the gleeful feeling of "Hey I'm actually not too bad, Maybe I should make some more maps!" =P

lostatsea
06-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a great inspiration creator ! I wouldn't be able to really participate as I lost all my old work last April in a hard drive crash! But I would love to see then and nows of the masters and soon to be Masters !!

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Actually, since it came up, I went back to look at my Avayevnon map, and see a lot that could be better. I could vary some coastline textures, and fix some river violations, and just generally make it better.

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Sounds like a great inspiration creator ! I wouldn't be able to really participate as I lost all my old work last April in a hard drive crash! But I would love to see then and nows of the masters and soon to be Masters !!Did you post any of them up here? Cause in that case you might just be able to get the image files.

tilt
07-01-2012, 12:05 PM
RE, but what if we can't do it better than then *lol* ... joking aside, great idea for the more experienced mappers - a bit hard for new members though :) + what do we judge on, how far we've come or just how the new map looks?

rdanhenry
07-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Given I'd rather like to remake a bunch of my old maps anyway, I'm rather keen on this idea.

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-01-2012, 01:02 PM
what do we judge on, how far we've come or just how the new map looks?
Given the nature of the challenge, I would lean towards the improvement from the old map to the new map, but in practice people might just end up judging it by how good the new one looks anyway.

RecklessEnthusiasm
07-02-2012, 01:21 PM
RE, but what if we can't do it better than then *lol* ... joking aside, great idea for the more experienced mappers - a bit hard for new members though :) + what do we judge on, how far we've come or just how the new map looks?

As always, I suppose voting criteria would ultimately fall to the voter, but you could encourage people to vote on "most improved" or on "best map." Or, if we get enough submissions, you could even have two poles: one for each. This challenge would be a little trickier for some new members, but I was kind of envisioning it as a golden compass challenge anyway--I get the feeling we rarely have first-time cartographers participating in those, but I guess anyone who has made a map before would be eligible.

tilt
07-02-2012, 01:34 PM
you are right - the golden challenge is mostly done by more experienced cartographers, even though it is open for all (cause thats the way we roll *lol*)

Hai-Etlik
07-04-2012, 05:56 AM
I like it, but I just did redo the map I would have redone if the challenge were to be run, which kind of puts a damper for my enthusiasm for this idea.

Gidde
07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
I've actually been dying to do this to a couple of my old maps, so I vote hecks yes :) Give me some motivation to take out those old clunkers.

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I like it, but I just did redo the map I would have redone if the challenge were to be run, which kind of puts a damper for my enthusiasm for this idea.
Yeah, I had started redoing one of my old ones before this was mentioned, but then I remembered another, older one, so I've still got some ammunition for it.

Gidde
07-09-2012, 08:25 PM
If we end up doing this one, I may just drag out the piece of gossa map I first came here with many moons ago and redo that one. What fun :)

Bogie
07-11-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm in. I've got some old maps from when I started using DundJinni 5 or 6 years ago, or I could go back to some hand drawn Dungeons from the 80's and redo them. Just have to find my Way-Back machine.

Seraphine_Harmonium
08-01-2012, 04:19 PM
It appears this suggestion has a 100% unanimous approval rating, with 18 votes. That sounds like a mandate from the masses to me...

Thurlor
08-05-2012, 11:24 PM
I voted yes.

A pity that most of my old maps are hand-drawn, or contain really crappy landforms.

I suppose I could redo an implausible map with better techniques.

Seraphine_Harmonium
08-06-2012, 12:22 AM
I voted yes.

A pity that most of my old maps are hand-drawn, or contain really crappy landforms.

I suppose I could redo an implausible map with better techniques.

You could scan a hand-drawn map into the computer. And I am inclined to think that you could massage some less-than-ideal landforms a bit, within the bounds of the contest, as long as they were somewhat recognizable.