PDA

View Full Version : Does the Cartographers Choice work? If yes, how?

Depassage
06-29-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure if I'm posting the right location and even if the topic has been discussed previously - I'm quite sure it did, but didn't figure out where to look.

All is in the title... It's not that I don't like the maps currently being displayed as welcome page, but I find this page a little monotonous.

Every once in a while, there are some very good stuff being displayed by the folk here (the challenges winners for example) and other finished maps to be displayed on the home page, don't you think?

Korash
07-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I believe it does....but is a long process to get put up I think.

The Cartographer's Choice Maps are those maps that the CLs feel are real standout maps from all the maps posted in the Finished maps forum. As I am sure you know, some of those are indeed awesome and choosing standouts might be a bit difficult ;). Once a map is suggested to the CLs as a candidate, they then get discussed on the CL threads, and if they agree, one of the CLs posts it up as a Choice Map.

However, this all comes down to the CLs having the time to do these things, and RL has a tendancy to put restraints on time available for our favorite mappy site. I am sure that they will be back, just give it some time :)

arsheesh
07-04-2012, 09:00 PM
I too would like to see some fresh new maps in the Cartographers Choice section. I guess this means that more folks should take the initiative of "recommending" maps they think are superb as candidates for the Cartographer's Choice. That and making sure to rate the thread (same goes for Tutorials BTW, it's been a long time since I've seen any award winning tutorials).

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Gidde
07-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the interest guys! This is totally on our radar and we realize we've been slacking a bit on this front. I'll see if I can drum up some new discussion over there and get some action.

In the meantime, follow Arsheesh's advice! Recommendations and ratings are VERY welcome :)

Depassage
07-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Sorry to ask such a noob question, but how do you 'rate' the thread or 'recommend' the map or tut?

arsheesh
07-10-2012, 07:07 AM
No worries Depassage, I'm sure many others are probably asking the same question. If you look at the top of each thread on the right hand side you'll find several options, one of which is "Rate this Thread" (see image below). Just click on it, add your rating and away you go!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Depassage
07-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Ok, I understand now... I don't have this option as you can see in my screen capture...

Is it a preference I can change or is it related to forum preferences that only managers can activate?

arsheesh
07-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Huh, that's really strange. I don't know the answer to this; perhaps one of the CLs knows (it might also be within the Thread Tools?). As to nominating a piece for the Cartographers Choice, I would just say this in a reply to the thread: e.g. "I'd like to nominate X for the Cartographers Choice".

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Gidde
07-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Pulled that screenshot into the CL forums to see if any of the other CL's have an idea because I'm stumped other than what Arsheesh already suggested. We'll get back to you when we figure it out!

Gidde
07-10-2012, 10:32 PM
I've also created a nominations sticky in the Cartographers' Choice forum, here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?19365-Cartographers-Choice-Nominations

RobA
07-11-2012, 11:47 AM
The "plan" was to have a new choice map added every few weeks. The front page would roll them off and display the latest 5.

Unfortunately, we all have full time jobs, and just don't have the time we'd like to do this.

As suggested, rating finished maps makes a part of the job easier, but still a CL needs to write up the post and post in the Choice forum.

-Rob A>

RobA
07-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Ok, I understand now... I don't have this option as you can see in my screen capture...

Is it a preference I can change or is it related to forum preferences that only managers can activate?

It is enabled in specific forums (for non Community Leaders). Please check and see - you should have the option when viewing a post in the in the Finished Maps forums.

-Rob A>

Depassage
07-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Yes, the option appears in the finished map section... and now I also know the meaning of these symbols appearing sometimes at the end of the thread's title... :)

I also was thinking about another possible option about nominating CG choice: as I faintly suggested in the post beginning this thread, Monthly Challenges winners would make perfectly good choices, already voted for, etc. Maybe it would be possible to script this (I don't know how however... I let this to enlightened programers...) to make the winners automatically appear in said CG Choice. What do you think?

Gidde
07-11-2012, 03:42 PM
The Challenges are posted under different rules than the Finished Maps in regards to reposting as Featured Maps. We're going to post them on the front page as articles, but as far as Choice goes they would need to be reposted in Finished Maps to be eligible (as you've probably noticed, a lot of folks do this already).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depassage
07-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Sorry to come back to that, but I wanted to rate some threads, and was wondering that maybe the qualificative words for each level could be more positive...

Let me be clear, sometimes the work or thread is just ok, but not bad enough to get a 'terrible' note. For me when there's no rating it already means that the thread or work was not sufficiently interesting/good to make people spend a little second rating it... so rating to give a one star 'terrible' or 2 stars 'bad' is somewhat encouraging...

A new scale value could be for example: Ok, Interesting, Nice, Good, Excellent...

What do you think guys/girls?

Depassage
07-27-2012, 03:48 AM
Just putting it up...

Midgardsormr
07-29-2012, 02:50 PM
I think I agree with you. If a map is bad, then chances are it doesn't get rated at all, but for maps that do get rated, it would be nice to have a finer gradation between "Good" and "Excellent."

Schwarzkreuz
08-24-2012, 05:45 AM
Are there no Tutorial Awards any more?

RobA
08-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Are there no Tutorial Awards any more?

CL availability is limited in the summer months, so we are a bit behind on tutorial awards....

-Rob A>

Depassage
08-26-2012, 11:49 AM
What about the new scale value? Maybe we could put a poll to check opinions?

Schwarzkreuz
09-10-2012, 05:44 PM
I would put my hand up for managing CC and Tutorial awards, if an additional Pair of Hands is needed.
Also am i interested in helping bringing up a structure to make this process more easy and transparent to the community.

RobA
09-10-2012, 09:48 PM
I would put my hand up for managing CC and Tutorial awards, if an additional Pair of Hands is needed.
Also am i interested in helping bringing up a structure to make this process more easy and transparent to the community.

As far as I know, we are caught up with tutorial awards (Thanks Ravs!)

There isn't much "hidden" about the choice awards, either... Behind the scenes, a CL suggests a particular map posted in the finished map forums (that meets all the requirements specified in the sticky to be recognized as a Choice map), other(s) agree, and a CL posts it up in the forum.

I'll check with Robbie if he is interested in bringing on any additional volunteers... we have quite a few all ready, it just seems availability of folks waxes and wanes.

-ROb A>

Schwarzkreuz
09-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Ah, well I wasnt implying anything to be cheasy, I just had the feeling that simple matters had to be remind from time to time, how things are structured.
In correspond to the recent time of the first half of 2012, I surgest to anounce CC, perhaps by quartals/seasons. It would have a regular structure, without pressing to much as to handle booth, the monthly challenge & CC at the same time. Surgestions could be collected within the 3 Months range and than anouncement prepares.
It simply appeared to me that the workload may had overflowed the capacities, the last half year. Which caused irregularities within the timeframes, when something was anounced an award. This is not a complaining post or something. I just want to improoved and help within the community. And I have only been on board for roughly 11 Months, so I am not clear about regularities in the past years. This community had become a focus of my interests so I am glad to help.