PDA

View Full Version : A commission! Map of East/West Looe

torstan
05-01-2008, 09:30 AM
I recently received a commission to map out a coastal town and nearby island. It's a map for a game based in the 1930s and here is the current WIP. C&C much appreciated.

3390 3391

Oh, and I need a good free font that looks like 30s handwriting :)

As these are for a commission, these are not free to lift, unlike my other maps.

ravells
05-01-2008, 10:36 AM
I think these look fantastic! Is it for an RPG? Great work! I like the font you've used, but if you check out the font sticky in the mapping elements section you may find something there.

SpamValiant
05-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Really, really nice maps.

Makes me wish I could draw like that.

I don't know what your plans are for labelling, but these maps almost look like they should be annotated rather than labelled, if you get what I mean. Rather than big names plonked onto the map you could stick to little handwritten notes pointing to areas of interest. But that's just how I'd do it, and TBH you don't want to take my word for it!:D

torstan
05-01-2008, 12:00 PM
@SV That's a really good idea - I hadn't thought of that. Due to the line drawing involved I had been struggling to find places to place the labels.

@Ravells I don't mind this font actually. I found it after I had written out the first post and so changed it to that before I posted the images. I've had a hunt through the fonts post and I think I'll stick with this one for the time being. It was commissioned for a private Cthulhu game set in the 30s for use within maptool.

Thanks both for the compliments. I like the way this style is settling down. I'm not too sure about the buildings, but I can't see any easy way to improve on them. I do like the way the river came out though.

Sigurd
05-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I put your bigger map into photoshop and then changed the colour balance. I think it made it clearer but it removed your lovely sepia look.
Then I took the sharpening brush and went over all your buildings to make the most of the detail you gave them.
Then I turned the new map into an overlay for the old to hopefully get back some of your sepia.

I don't know if its "spooky" enough for Cthuhlu.

http://wm23.inbox.com/thumbs/4d_9fa79_f6cdc27_oJ.jpg.thumb (http://wm23.inbox.com/thumbs/4c_9fa7a_b18e4d8_oJ.jpg.thumb)

Sigurd

ravells
05-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I think it's perfect for Cthulhu!!

su_liam
05-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Cthulhu doesn't mind. He'll eat it.

delgondahntelius
05-02-2008, 03:33 AM
Azathoth was actually my favorite ... the blind idiot god threw the smack down :D

kalmarjan
05-02-2008, 04:09 AM
I took this a step further and added some layer adjustments.

Attached are the results.

torstan
05-02-2008, 04:57 AM
I'm liking the different colour palette choices being thrown up here. Essentially the choice will come down to the person who commissioned it, but it's good to see people's take on a Cthulhu palette!

The one by kalmarjan really should have a load of insane scrawls on it to add to the mood.

Sigurd, I see what you mean about it being clearer. In the .xcf file all the colour layers are currently down at about 20% opacity, which accounts for the washed out sepia tone - possibly I went too far. The lines are a mix of low opacity overlay layers andmid opacity normal layers too. I'll have a shot with greater colour definition and see what it looks like.

kalmarjan
05-02-2008, 05:31 AM
Here's another alternative, grunged up a bit, with some "insane" writing scrawled and faded in the photo/map.

torstan
05-02-2008, 05:40 AM
Very cool, and duly repped. I'll need to chat to the guy who asked for it and then post a finished version when it's done.

delgondahntelius
05-02-2008, 05:40 AM
OHHH ... I like that... I like it a lot! :) well done ....

kalmarjan
05-02-2008, 05:53 AM
Hey, NP. A lot of times what makes the final product shine is what you do with the colors/overlays. That can really sell your image. ;)

Sandeman

torstan
05-02-2008, 06:01 AM
Could you cover the layers you used to get that last image? I looked at the earlier .psd you posted, but all I got was a green layer at 20% opacity. I'm guessing you used a blend mode that Gimp doesn't interpret.

RobA
05-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Could you cover the layers you used to get that last image? I looked at the earlier .psd you posted, but all I got was a green layer at 20% opacity. I'm guessing you used a blend mode that Gimp doesn't interpret.

Gimp doesn't have layer effects, so it doesn't load them in properly.

-Rob A>

kalmarjan
05-02-2008, 11:15 AM
I see. I did not use any layer effects, rather layer adjustments.

In the order that I did: Note that these are layer adjustments.

photo filter : color #f9e31d, density 50%
curves adjustment slightly downward to "dull" the image a bit
exposure: exposure:-0.23, offset: +0.0254, gamma correction: 0.81
photo filter: color #ffd500, density 17%
color fill: color: #0a6a21, layer opacity: 15%
black and white: layer opacity 50%

Then I added a nice rendered clouds, dropped that layers opacity to 50%, and layer masked out the areas with a really really soft brush, gently erasing the middle and leaving the corners dark.

Finally, I found some random insane scrawling on google, and adjusted the brightnes so it was basically black and white... laid it over everything and set the layer style to multiply and an opacity of 15%.

Hope that helps out. There was a certain effect that I was looking for, and it is a matter of playing with the settings until I got what I like.

I did not realize you used the GIMP... as there really are no adjustment layers to speak of...

you could try this module I found:

http://the-gimp.deviantart.com/art/Adjustment-Layers-1473128

torstan
05-30-2008, 05:03 AM
The client went with the original colours. Here's a finished version of St. George's Island:

And this is what it looks like with a few RPMiller folds attached!

Note that these are commissioned pieces and so do not fall under the CC licence in my sig. Boring, but true.

pyrandon
05-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Amazing (as always) Torstan! Love it.

jfrazierjr
05-30-2008, 11:01 AM
yep, that totally rocks.

delgondahntelius
05-31-2008, 12:19 AM
Very nice... love the style!

Karro
06-02-2008, 12:04 AM
That's great looking!

torstan
06-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the compliments. I was very pleased with it as a finished piece.

Given the recent discussions on the challenge thread, I thought I'd mention that this was designed for a VTT. The person I created it for decided he did want the map to have a folded look. However the map sent to him was without labels. They were included as separate pngs. The base unlabelled map will be imported into maptool and the labels will be revealed as the players explore the map.

It just struck me as a very different type of map for use in a VTT than the battlemaps that we've been discussing in the recent challenge.