PDA

View Full Version : June/July 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Ashenbrook Cave

Larb
07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
I have done the initial rough grey sketch for my entry. I decided to map a cave for a number of reasons - I never really do natural caverns so it would be good practice. Also the other option was probably a town but someone else is already doing one of those. There was a cave map someone posted (torstan I think?) ages ago too so that was also some inspiration for this choice.

This cave is related to my Antira series of maps. It's a cave nearby that a lot of people actually know about so if there are new bandits in the area or someone is on the run, this is one of the first places the local magistrate will check. As a result it has been used and cleared out countless times.

Also some people believe it is rich in gold and will come here looking for it, but it's not. It's just iron pyrite.

There is currently a new resident who has fixed up the old barricade.

### LATEST WIP ###

LindaJeanne
07-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Love the idea! Looking forward to seeing what you're doing with it.

Chashio
07-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Neat sketch! I had to spend some time looking around at all the little features and oohing and aahing (which made the dog bark, so I stopped). Anticipating the finished map =)

Larb
07-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks! It is slow going as I'm also working on a piece of artwork for a dear friend of mine, but my choice of topic should mean I'll get done for the deadline (being part of a set of maps, I need to draw it anyway afterall).

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Looks really cool. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Larb
07-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Just a little update. The basic outlining is done now although there's a bunch of stuff I need to fix so I'll leave it for a day.

### LATEST WIP ###

Blaidd Drwg
07-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Sweet! Can't wait to see the finished product :)
Also: have I told you I'm jealous of your drawing skills?

Did you do this in photoshop (or GIMP)? What settings did you use for your pen/brush? I try to draw digitally from time to time, but this is the first thing I can never get right.

Larb
07-07-2012, 10:49 AM
I use Paint Tool SAI for my lines because they come out better than in any other program I have tried. In photoshop the closest I can get is setting the brush size to pen pressure in the brush options but even that doesn't work as well.

Blaidd Drwg
07-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Aha, thanks. No wonder I couldn't get it to work the way I want it to :P

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Do you use a tablet with a stylus, or do you just use a mouse?

Larb
07-07-2012, 06:42 PM
I use a tablet pen, a wacom intuos 4 medium. I could not live without it. It may as well be grafted to my hand. =P

LindaJeanne
07-07-2012, 07:10 PM
I use Paint Tool SAI for my lines because they come out better than in any other program I have tried. In photoshop the closest I can get is setting the brush size to pen pressure in the brush options but even that doesn't work as well.

If just using Paint Tool SAI could make me draw like that, I'd buy it in an instant :).

Chashio
07-08-2012, 01:47 PM

I will have to look into this. =) Thanks for the input!

EDIT: mhmm, I see what you mean.

eViLe_eAgLe
07-12-2012, 04:33 AM
I agree, paint-tool sai is brilliant with Tablets, but be forewarned, if you have a Bamboo like me and use it, it will often go unresponsive (The pen, not the program.) for as long as you have that window open, to fix it simply remove preferences.
Oh, and brilliant job Larb!

Larb
07-13-2012, 07:40 PM
It occasionally (rarely though) does it with my intuos 4, but if I nudge my mouse, I get my tablet responsiveness back. Not sure what causes it, but it's so rare to not be an issue anyway.

I hate colouring things sometimes. I really should practice more.

### LATEST WIP ###

Ghostman
07-14-2012, 06:09 AM
I like how the cave's walls and the rocks are looking now. The water is an odd color though, especially the stream outside the cave - I'd expect a darker and more bluish shade to it.

Blaidd Drwg
07-14-2012, 06:51 AM
It occasionally (rarely though) does it with my intuos 4, but if I nudge my mouse, I get my tablet responsiveness back. Not sure what causes it, but it's so rare to not be an issue anyway.
I used to have the same problem with my Intuos 3 sometimes, but it turned out to be a driver problem. Windows XP driver on Windows 7. Maybe that's where the bug bites, and not Paint Tool? Just guessing here ... :)

Like the new update. It's starting to look really awesome. Nice colours ^^ I take it the water isn't done yet?

Larb
07-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Yep, I've mostly done the water now. It will be finished soon. Just in time too!

### LATEST WIP ###

Blaidd Drwg
07-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Wow ...
How did you do the water? It looks terrific!

Larb
07-14-2012, 09:52 AM
I changed the original colour to a blue-green, then I used a darker shade on the water in the cave. Then I got lazy and did some cut and paste/mirroring of the cliff walls on a separate layer, lowered the layer opacity then used the ripple filter on it. Then deleted bits of it with a soft eraser.

Then I went a bit crazy with low opacity soft white brush. Then I added a few other colours. I probably spent longer than I should but I mostly like it.

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-14-2012, 01:16 PM
This looks fantastic! I had hoped to stand a chance of winning, but no such luck! :D

Ghostman
07-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Now the water's just gorgeous. Good job!

Larb
07-15-2012, 12:51 PM
And here is the finished thing. I wasn't sure if I'd get it done in time.

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
07-15-2012, 09:29 PM
This is fantastic Larb! Nice to see your hand-drawn work.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh