PDA

View Full Version : Finally made a map

SuperD
07-05-2012, 05:00 AM
After a few weeks I finally was able to follow one of the tutorials to make a map ( of sorts ). I chose tutorials for Photoshop as I know my way around in it better than the rest of the programs used. That really isn't saying much on my skills....:oops:. I'm not very artistic, and I'm sure that is said a lot, but I do try. I was aiming for an island cluster/chain possibly tropical in nature and maybe formed from extinct/inactive volcanoes. I think I got carried away with the foliage a bit :) and the ocean is really dark. I followed the Saderan tutorial as I would get messed up with the others and could not figure out where I went wrong ( Even after reading other threads to find some incite ). Didn't do any rivers, but I'm sure there are a few places that would do nicely for them. Had trouble with the paths part of the tut so I skipped it. In all, I got this done in about four and a half hours and am pretty pleased with my first attempt. So here it is for critiquing. Hope you all enjoy a newbies first try as I'm sure I will enjoy the critiquing. Thanks in advance!

P.S. : I have not named this as I am still trying to learn the techniques.

Phlimm
07-05-2012, 09:31 AM
I am certainly no expert but I like it. The forests do not look overdone IMO and I like the contrast that the black ocean has.

necrominog
07-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Nice! Very nice. My only critique would be maybe give the white around the islands (which I assume indicates shallow water) a more bluish tint. Otherwise, very nice. Look forward to any future work you do on it.

SuperD
07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks Phlimm and necrominog! Yes the white around the islands is supposed to be shallows, for some reason when I saved it as a .jpeg it lost some of the blue. I do want tofix that, but it will have to wait until late in the weekend. But if the blackish ocean looks good I'll keep that as I do kinda like the contrast it gives the rest of the map. Again many, many thanks!

Khaalis
07-06-2012, 02:53 AM
I'm by far no expert, but I would have to agree that I would even out the water tones. Right now its very start white on black and with very little in the way of blending of the depths. The only other comment I have is that I think maybe the mountains need a bit more definition? Right now they seem rather flat and lacking in, maybe texture, in comparison to the trees.

SuperD
07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Thank you Khaalis. I'll take a closer look at the mountains too. I'm not looking for expert advice, although it would be very welcomed. I am looking for any critiquing that anyone is willing to give.:)

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Yeah, unless you're doing a "Pirates of Dark Water" thing, I think the water around the islands should be blue (or at least bluish). Otherwise it looks good.

SuperD
07-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Thank you Seraphine. I had some time to spare so I did a few things to the map. I'm not sure why, as of yet, the water won't go more bluish in the shallows. I'll work on this as I think it is too white around the land masses myself. I tried a the approach of little is more is the ocean texturing and more is better in the mountains. Here is what I have done on some quick modifying. 46325

And again, Thanks everyone.