PDA

View Full Version : Forum Upgrades Completed

Robbie
05-04-2008, 12:29 PM
I've upgraded the site to 3.7.0 as mentioned yesterday, and now all the template upgrades have been completed and everything appears to be in working order. if anyone notices anything out of place or wrong, please let me know.

There's a few new features that I haven't dug into just yet. But, you can check out your profile page (Not the UserCP, though that has changed as well) for social things such as user messaging and social groups.

There's also Thread Tagging now...which lets you tag threads and I imagine you can search or relate threads with Tags.

If you find anything cool, post it here and share it with us all ;)

delgondahntelius
05-04-2008, 12:50 PM
In the profiles... the pics to the right of the page (mini stats, albums, friends, etc) are showing red X's ... and not loading up.. :(

Robbie
05-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Weird...it works for me....could you post a screenshot of the problem maybe?

ravells
05-04-2008, 03:18 PM
The tags would be really useful in the tutorial and reference section. Also there is now an 'album' feature in the User CP area, so I guess we can make galleries, although the settings (I guess default) for file size are 97kb.

delgondahntelius
05-04-2008, 03:30 PM
here's a screen shot

Robbie
05-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Just updated the filesize limits (I hope) and I logged in a s a regular user with no special permissions del and I still dont' see the error you're having. I'm wondering if something is blocked on your end?

Of course it may also be an IE problem. I haven't verified the site on IE yet.

Robbie
05-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Nope it was a custom image problem...Several of my image paths I modified specifically for the custom template, and the upgrade added new images to those paths that didn't automatically get copied over to my custom folders. All fixed now, and the problem should be solved del.

delgondahntelius
05-04-2008, 07:30 PM
yep .... all solved ... thanks arcana :D

RobA
05-04-2008, 08:03 PM
I noticed the tags when I posted today - so which CL gets stuck going back and adding tags to all the old posts? :P

-Rob A>

Robbie
05-04-2008, 08:07 PM
First one to speak about them maybe???

RobA
05-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Looks like album thumbnails aren't generating properly.

-Rob A>

ravells
05-04-2008, 08:21 PM
How do you generate tags?

Midgardsormr
05-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Down at the bottom of the thread is a list of tags. At the upper right corner, it says "edit tags."

RobA
05-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Below each thread is now Bookmarks (used to be on the left of each post) and below that is Tags. In this thread you can see the tags are admin , news , site , templates , upgrade , vbulletin

There is an "Edit Tags" AND when you create a post, there is now a field to enter a comma separated tag list.

EDIT:

Also like the new greybox style image display thingy.

-Rob A>

Robbie
05-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Looks like album thumbnails aren't generating properly.

-Rob A>
Fixed...was a permissions error...thumbnails need execute permissions.

How do you generate tags?

You just type them in when you create a thread...I imagine there's also a way to edit them...There's an Edit Tags option for me, but it may be because I'm admin. There's no "generate" tags though...its a manual type in process.

You guys don't have to go back and add tags to old threads unless you really really want to. Its not mandatory, but it is helpful really.

RobA
05-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Cool.

I made a test gallery. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?u=768)

-Rob A>

Robbie
05-04-2008, 08:40 PM
The CL's have been bugging me to add some form of "gallery" capability to the site for a LONG time...and I've been putting it off because I knew the 3.7 version of vBulletin would have it built in...I just had to wait for it to come out of beta. ;)

Robbie
05-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Bare with me...I'm going to experiment a little with the built in ad placement capability of 3.7...there will be duplicate Google ads on the page as a result until I figure it out.

Edit: Done...wow this stuff is easy.

delgondahntelius
05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
so now i'm going to have a pop-up flash window thingy pop up every time I click an attachment instead of it opening a new browswer window automatically?

Robbie
05-06-2008, 11:03 PM
yes, thats the lightbox...I don't see a way to turn that off per user...but I did find out that if you right click on it and choose open in new window or open in new tab it skips the lightbox.

delgondahntelius
05-07-2008, 12:21 AM
ya... that's what I have to do almost everywhere else... I just liked the fact that it did it automatically ... I multitask alot and tho it probably seems inane, it's one less click I have to make when it opens automatically .... but I think I can set my browswer and mouse to open in a new window with a middlebutton click.... I'll get over it ... just takes a while to get used too... :D

RPMiller
05-07-2008, 12:24 PM
If you click the popup it will move to another tab/window.

delgondahntelius
05-07-2008, 10:17 PM
my browser has a mouse navigation function... which is pretty cool... www.crazybrowser.com (http://www.crazybrowser.com)

RPMiller
05-07-2008, 11:52 PM
You had an extra 'w' in the url so I fixed it for you. :)

That is pretty neat. I wonder when they'll add the extension to FireFox to do that as well?

Cool! They already added it:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/39

Thanks for prompting me to look.