PDA

View Full Version : JULY 2012 Entry :City State of Etheria

lostatsea
07-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Got to hate that name ! You know I do !!:oops:

I always use these challenges to push myself and usually fall short of my own expectations! However I always learn a lot and I usually have fun . So here I go again !>:)After sorting through 192 cloud picts , I culled it down to six I thought would yield the best results ;(Whatever that is ) then tinkered with those and picked this one as my next victim !

BASIC CLOUD

BASIC BUMP

BASIC LAYER

### LATEST WIP ###
46422 Let's see if I can do this justice !:?:

Gidde
07-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Love it so far. :)

Bogie
07-10-2012, 01:31 AM
That's a great start, very natural looking terrain.

lostatsea
07-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Funny thing about nature it usually looks "Natural":P Actually that's the biggest reason I like to use clouds (real and brushes) They give a very Organic feel that takes tons of work to even try to approximate! Also they are in a constant mode of change. There is always a new and unique "Look and feel" from one moment to the next.

lostatsea
07-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Still in the layout Phase. The city is a filler till in make my own building textures. working on placement of the major landmarks . Cleaned up some of the artifacts.Updates to follow. Comments and suggestions welcome !:)

### LATEST WIP ###

lostatsea
07-14-2012, 02:04 AM
Changed the scale of forest texture. Added basic farm . did some MORE clean up,. Having trouble getting my clearings in the forest to look right. HMM back to that later.Hoping to get a multi-height look to this.
###Latest Wip ###

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-14-2012, 04:21 AM
Not "wrong" per se, but for a map called "City State of Etheria" it seems like very little of the map consists of an actual "city state" so far. And the placement of your farmlands seems like it would make for some awkwardness expanding south and west from there.

lostatsea
07-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Not "wrong" per se, but for a map called "City State of Etheria" it seems like very little of the map consists of an actual "city state" so far. And the placement of your farmlands seems like it would make for some awkwardness expanding south and west from there.

Yeah that is true. Right now I am juggling "design layouts" and technical representation problems. (How do I get the desired effect). There is a little "Wiggle" room to the west up to the mountains ,Then expansion will have to be across the bay to the opposite shore. There are a few small villages to be put in as well as my afore-mentioned "Troubled" clearings ! There is also a "major" fishing village on one of the islands . Which are little more than large rocks in the sea. The city is placed where it is because although not represented yet; the rest of the coast is cliffs and jagged rocks. As a port city it needs to be close to the water. The extent of the map represents 90% of the land claimed by Etheria. City-states are fairly common on this world I am creating .Larger kingdoms and one Empire do exist but the norm is much smaller areas of population and sovereignty. Only a few remain on our real Earth. Of those this is a comparable situation .

The Principality of Monaco is an independent city-state
Bordered by France on three sides, with one side bordering the Mediterranean Sea
It has an area of 1.98 km2 (0.76 sq mi), and a population of 35,986

Ethria is larger with a similar population.

A city-state is an independent or autonomous entity whose territory consists of a city which is not administered as a part of another local government. A city-state can also be defined as a central city and its surrounding villages, which together follow the same law, have one form of government, and share languages, religious beliefs, and ways of life

Monaco-ville

Once I figure out some technical problems ,hopefully It will make more sense ! "Hopefully !:?

lostatsea
07-15-2012, 04:36 PM
I am trying to convey variations in height . Is this "working"? Is there a better way? The lighter lvls by the sea or much lower and uncolored as of now > How do I convey the cliff drop off when you can;'t see it from this view ??Help I am out of my league !!:shock::shock:

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-15-2012, 05:08 PM
To me the light gray "uncolored" areas look higher up than the the brown, so it looks like the edges by the sea are up on a plateau. I have no idea how to indicate a sheer cliff drop from a top down perspective, but reversing the direction of "light-to dark" on that rocky section would indicate to me that those areas by the sea are lower.

lostatsea
07-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks to waldronate for the tutorial on Wilbur. I tried it once then I tried it twice Then I scratched my head and the lights came on !!:idea::idea: So I'm NOT the brightest crayon in the Box !!
It took me in a better direction !:D Still got alot to do and the competition is really heating up !Here is where I am going now. Read the Name " Lost at sea ":?

### LATEST WIP ###

lostatsea
07-25-2012, 06:54 PM
To Frame or Not to frame that is the Question....Got bogged down and threw a frame together till my Muse came back .Does it accent or take away from the map ! ?? I have a few more areas to detail but I know which Direction I am going with it ! Also have lots of cleanup to do and a border to make if the Frame is too much !

### Latest Wip ###

Bogie
07-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Good Question. Not sure. I like the overall look with the frame, but it does distract from the map ( the map is very very good BTW ).

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-26-2012, 12:08 AM
I think the frame kinda distracts from the map, mostly because it's so BIG.

lostatsea
07-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Here it is no frame.Lots of touch-ups. Still need to add the villages and maybe some more details?

### LATEST WIP ###

lostatsea
07-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Another update !! Fixed some artifacts and added the villages, A road out of the city-state to the semi Unfriendly neighbors. Need some names for the smaller villages . More cleanup But nearly finished !
### LATEST WIP ###

Bogie
07-28-2012, 02:29 AM
Nice work, and I like this frame better.

lostatsea
07-29-2012, 11:30 AM
What a Crock O ...... I've been a Good boy saving my work frequently.Last save of my in-progress PSD turned out to be a disaster!!:( All seemed to be okay but when I came back to open it later that day to finish up . "Corrupt file"!!!:shock:Well I downloaded all the PSD recovery apps the best I got back was a list of layers ;All blank. The other apps didn't get even that .:mrgreen: Well as luck would have it the windows"Previous version" was four days old so I lost Four days of tweaking. :((Oh Well it will give me a start for working on Future More detailed sections of this map area. So I finished as best I could using last posted Jpg as a base. So here it is !

### LATEST WIP ###

PS Good luck to all the entries, Lots of great work as usual !

arsheesh
07-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Wow, that really sucks Lostatsea. The finished product turned out out nice though. And I think you made the right decision to move to a smaller frame.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Thurlor
07-31-2012, 01:47 AM
It's too late now, however I feel I should point out that the wood-grain in the frame isn't aligned properly. All of the frames I have seen have the wood-grain flowing long-wise. So, the sides should have the grain going up and down.

Either way a great map and I really like the city.

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-31-2012, 02:36 AM
In this version, I thought that was meant to be not the actual frame, but the table the map is on.