PDA

View Full Version : July 2012 challenge entry: The Isle of Aedenis

vorropohaiah
07-10-2012, 02:49 AM
so here's the clouds ill be using for my entry, though i might end up cutting/pasting the resultant land-masses to better fit-in with my vision. I'm gonna be boring with this challenge and place this map in my conworld of Elyden. hopefully i'll manage to create something in time.

the clouds will be the land-mass and the sky the sea.

just wondering, can i use more than one cloud image and stitch them together into mosaic? since i might be moving one of the cloud chunks around ill have ome empty space ill need to fill in

vorropohaiah
07-11-2012, 03:28 AM
### latest WIP ###

still experimenting with the style i want, though i'm getting there

Gidde
07-11-2012, 09:18 AM
just wondering, can i use more than one cloud image and stitch them together into mosaic? since i might be moving one of the cloud chunks around ill have ome empty space ill need to fill in

I don't see why not :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lukc
07-14-2012, 01:30 AM
If the green is the land - fine, otherwise it looks to me like a bar of corroded copper lying on top of a piece of parchment, which - come to think of it - strikes me as a good idea for a map :)

Bogie
07-15-2012, 07:31 PM
I also like the overall look of this, but the eye is tricked into thinking the green is above the parchment by the coastline shading. More of a blue-green to indicate it is water might help. If you are planning on adding landmarks, mountains, forests & rivers, that should help also.

vorropohaiah
07-16-2012, 07:44 AM
If the green is the land - fine, otherwise it looks to me like a bar of corroded copper lying on top of a piece of parchment, which - come to think of it - strikes me as a good idea for a map :)

I also like the overall look of this, but the eye is tricked into thinking the green is above the parchment by the coastline shading. More of a blue-green to indicate it is water might help. If you are planning on adding landmarks, mountains, forests & rivers, that should help also.

yeah looking at the green more i realise i need to tone it down and maybe try add some more definition to the land and tone down that stark land/sea border as it looks. wish i had more time to work on this, as it is i dont think ill manage to finish it.

vorropohaiah
07-19-2012, 02:47 AM
ok, so i wasnt at all happy withthe older version so i decided to change to base cloud map:

### latest wip ###

this is going to be an old-style 15-16th century-style map in the fashion of those made of my home-country of Malta. hope it works out better

vorropohaiah
07-19-2012, 05:33 AM
### latest wip ###

this mornings' work, basically coming up with the style and border and combing through my fonts in the search of something that fits the flavour i'm going for. not as fancy as some of the other entries though i'm happy with it. it seems pretty authentic to the period so far. need to do some mountain and town/church/etc brushes and then it time to go crazy with the labelling.

i might lighten the paper texture and go back and add some primary colouring (as maps from the period tend to have)

vorropohaiah
07-19-2012, 10:19 AM
### latest wip ###

still needs compass rose, some other detail (handwriting on the map, like someones left handwritten notes on it, some weathering) and some more details to help convey the period better (whatever those might be). quite happy with this one actually; as ive been wanting to make a map in this style for a while

RjBeals
07-19-2012, 10:29 AM
this looks awesome! Is it a combination of hand drawn and digital? I can't tell if the border and projection lines are pen/ink or some crazy photoshop filter?

vorropohaiah
07-19-2012, 10:35 AM
I can't tell if the border and projection lines are pen/ink or some crazy photoshop filter?

That means the effect worked :)
all the lines are a simple stroke-effect with the spatter and sprayed stroke brush strokes filters applied to them, which i think make for a very convincing realistic hand-drawn effect.
The mountains and trees were drawn in pencil/ink and scanned, though they did undergo some blurring, sharpening and filters
The houses were drawn in a tablet on PS and were subjected to the same blurring and sharpening and filters to make them match a bit more
The text is normal text in PS... with the same effects applied

Chashio
07-19-2012, 10:57 AM
I thought your first map was cool. This one is simply incredible! Wow.
Not sure about the lines crossing over the ship and map title, though. May be accurate for the style you're after, but--especially on the ship--it makes me cringe.

RjBeals
07-19-2012, 11:25 AM
that spatter & spray stroke - thats photoshop? Illustrator? and is it a custom brush stroke you donwlnoaded? I have to try that - I always struggle with creating the grungy ink look. Nice work -

vorropohaiah
07-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Not sure about the lines crossing over the ship and map title, though. May be accurate for the style you're after, but--especially on the ship--it makes me cringe.
yeah I know what you mean. It does go with the period/style though might be distracting so i removed some of them :)

that spatter & spray stroke - thats photoshop? Illustrator? and is it a custom brush stroke you donwlnoaded? I have to try that - I always struggle with creating the grungy ink look. Nice work -
they're standard PhotoShop filter effects though only will only work with a white background,so you'll need to set the layer to multiply to mane the white 'invisible'

### latest wip ###

I added a cartouche, some weathering to the lines and a little bit of a (silly) story to it to add some character. Its not final, though pretty much done. Still trying to think of things to add to it.

arsheesh
07-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Looking good. The only critique I have is that the text on the left-hand side looks a bit too clean and crisp given that throughout the rest of the map the you have a sort of "ink-smear" effect going on. You may want to grunge up the text a bit. Otherwise looking good.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

daemaree
07-19-2012, 10:49 PM
This is a really cool map. I love the way you drew the mountains. My only critique would be how you faded the squiggly water lines. It looks like you just went around all the edges with the eraser, which is fine, but I think it adds a little bit of artificiality to an otherwise hand-drawn styled map. Maybe you could make the blurring a little less uniform, or use another filter effect?

RobA
07-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Changed your thread title for you.

-Rob A>

vorropohaiah
07-20-2012, 01:36 AM
The only critique I have is that the text on the left-hand side looks a bit too clean and crisp given that throughout the rest of the map the you have a sort of "ink-smear" effect going on. You may want to grunge up the text a bit. Otherwise looking good.

My only critique would be how you faded the squiggly water lines. It looks like you just went around all the edges with the eraser, which is fine, but I think it adds a little bit of artificiality to an otherwise hand-drawn styled map. Maybe you could make the blurring a little less uniform, or use another filter effect?
advice taken :) actually I had noticed the waves before (basically, after applying the pattern as an outer glow i just used the eraser on the edges. in hindsight I should have just used a median noise and brush spatter and gaussian blur on it. anywho, that should be fixed now. same with the extra text.

Changed your thread title for you.
thanks, was going to contact a mod to do it anyway :)

Lukc
07-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Spatter and spray strokes ... hmmm ... I have to try that!

vorropohaiah
07-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Spatter and spray strokes ... hmmm ... I have to try that!

keep them subtle if you do, or theylll look too crazy!

Schwarzkreuz
07-21-2012, 08:53 AM
I have to try this too, looks very nice

vorropohaiah
07-29-2012, 07:23 AM
well time to call this one done. not much different to the last pics actually, just some silly grunge and another paper added to the background as well as a compass rose of sorts.

### latest wip ###

Bogie
07-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Nice work, it really looks like a page torn out of an atlas.

vorropohaiah
07-30-2012, 04:10 AM
thanks :) i had a lot of fun making this one and might try explore this world more with other maps this style

some great and very different entries in this months challenge

arsheesh
07-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Great work on this Vorropohaiah, a great challenge entry.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh