PDA

View Full Version : [Unpaid - Taken] Please, i need a 2 floor tower

rossik
07-10-2012, 09:02 AM
hi guys!

this map goes to a free pdf adventure, and all credits will be given

i need a map of 1st and 2nd floor of a watch tower, plus the "top" of the tower.
it could be very simple, just the rooms, or if the artist feels like putting some more details (like beds, tables, etc), theres no problem about.

i've done a terrible scketch of it:

and i will sure explain it better if someone is interested in helping ;)

thanks in advance
rafael

Jacktannery
07-10-2012, 09:41 AM
i can help you out if you like - the layout looks similar to a tower I did before - I could make minimal amendments for you.

EDIT: actually I had two that might ift: check my sig and find the tower in Assault on Nighwyrm and Madness at Gardmore, and tell me which you prefer, and I'll amend them for you later.

EDIT 2: I speak spanish so I can understand your labels, but what's 'baus'?

rossik
07-10-2012, 10:33 AM
i can help you out if you like - the layout looks similar to a tower I did before - I could make minimal amendments for you.

EDIT: actually I had two that might ift: check my sig and find the tower in Assault on Nighwyrm and Madness at Gardmore, and tell me which you prefer, and I'll amend them for you later.

EDIT 2: I speak spanish so I can understand your labels, but what's 'baus'?

by the gods!!!
mad skills you have, amigo!

the one in Madness at Gardmore is more what im looking for :)

"bau" (actually "ba˙") is "chest", like a treasure chest but for personal objects :D

congratulations on your maps, they can really tell a story

Jacktannery
07-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Ok I'll post something here in a few hours and you can see what you think - I'll just refiddle the MaG watchtower maps - not doing this from scratch so don't get too excited.

rossik
07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Ok I'll post something here in a few hours and you can see what you think - I'll just refiddle the MaG watchtower maps - not doing this from scratch so don't get too excited.

i can always re write ;)

so, its ok for me to use in a free pdf adventure? how should i credit you?

ravells
07-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Great! I'll mark this as taken then.

Jacktannery
07-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Drats - I didn't realise this was for a publication - I thought this was just for you! That'll teach me to properly read the OP before volunteering for stuff. If its for a publication its more problematic - I'll need to ensure I don't use other people's resources and such. I'll see what I can do for you.

Jacktannery
07-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Is this any use to you for the ground floor? I know its not what you wanted exactly.

rossik
07-10-2012, 05:36 PM
ravells, its not taken yet, ok?

by missfortune, Jacktannery will not be able to help, but thats ok :)

i still need the tower \o

Jacktannery
07-10-2012, 06:05 PM
That's right Ravells - sorry about that - I just don't have time to make the OPs maps from scratch - I had missed that he wants them for a publication.

Gidde
07-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Took the taken marker off.

rossik
07-18-2012, 10:35 AM
still in need :D

rlucci
07-30-2012, 01:32 AM
I was haunting these forums tonight and noticed your request. I don't normally have a lot of time for map-making these days, but I try to put one together once in a while just to keep my Sketchup skills from atrophying .

I don't know if it's the style you're looking for, but if it is, it's all yours.

ravells
07-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Rlucci - that is really a really cool way to mix 3d rndering and mapping I mgoing to have to 'borrow' your technique!!

Bogie
07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Drats - I didn't realise this was for a publication - I thought this was just for you! That'll teach me to properly read the OP before volunteering for stuff. If its for a publication its more problematic - I'll need to ensure I don't use other people's resources and such. I'll see what I can do for you.

Actually Jack, I don't see a problem here. Unless I am mistaken, it looks like everything you used is from DundJinni and cgTextures. The standard at DJ is that all user posted art is free to use for any purpose unless the member specifically posted that it is restricted use. Only a few people ever did post restrictions. (Ask me if you have specific questions) and the textures at cgTextures can be used for any commercial use other than Video games as long as the original texture cannot be easily extracted and that they are credited as the original source.

Granted, I'm not a lawyer, but that is my interpretation.

Jacktannery
07-31-2012, 07:28 PM
That's great to hear Bogie.

I went back to my original Madness at Gardmore tower maps and checked through it, and the only thing I wasn't sure about were the floor tiles that had been made (or perhaps modded from your floor tiles) by Neyjour. That's why I removed those tiles and replaced them with a texture I created myself in the version I posted up for the OP in Post 8. Unfortunately this appears to have been too dissimilar from the OPs original request.

I may still be able to help OP in a week or so if my workload becomes a little lighter.

Bogie
07-31-2012, 07:56 PM
Neyjour has some great art, but she is one of the ones who specified personal use only on her work.

Jacktannery
08-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Hi there Rossik - I finally have some time to help you out, I think. I put this together for you so far: is this the sort of thing that you were looking for? Is the scale correct? Are the colours working for you? Would you like me to finish up this ground floor for you?

47292 47294

EDIT: Well, I finished the exterior anyway. I won't do anything else until you come back, in case you found another tower.

rossik
08-29-2012, 09:44 AM
OMG!
sorry guys, i didnt got my email notification!
jack, this is the right way, thanks a lot :)

dont know if you still have the time, but if so, i would be glad to have a map of yours :D

Jacktannery
08-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Hi there - I thought you had given up! I should have the time at the moment; are you completely happy with the ground floor, the floor colour and texture, the walls, the archway; the exterior - grass colour river colour and funny-looking rocks?

rossik
08-31-2012, 08:14 AM
yes, i am :D

Jacktannery
08-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Ok I'll hit the fireplace and interior walls tonight if I can. Are you happy for me to use the beds, tables and stools from the map on Post 8 above, or would you prefer a less rustic style? If you like you can type 'Dunjinni Bed' into the google images search (then the same for table and chair/stool) and pick one of those for your tower - we'll need to check its ok to use but like Bogie said it probably will be fine.

Bogie
08-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Here are some links to beds at the DJ Forums:

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=13439&KW=bed

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=10938&KW=bed

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=11507&KW=bed

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=3662&KW=bed

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=8174&KW=bed

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=7358&KW=bed

Jacktannery
08-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Those are lovely Bogie - and the variety and colours just goes to show how different bed styles can make a map feel completely different. I'll let OP peruse and select.

rossik
08-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Jack, i didnt put a lot of thought on beds, so you can put them as you like, ok? :)

Jacktannery
09-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Right - here is version 1 with two different lighting - one normal and one wizardly blue. Thoughts? Is this the sort of thing you were looking for? I just have the staircase left to do.

47990 47989

EDIT: with stairs made by jpfrazer & bogie here on these very forums ; and tweaked things a bit, not necessarily for the better.

rossik
09-02-2012, 11:26 PM
very very nice!
love the blue light, and wish i had wrote something for it, hehehe. i will use the "normal" light, ok?
is there apossibility to add some shelves/closet to the bedroom? (thats the yellow marks for "armario/prateleira")

Jacktannery
09-03-2012, 05:23 AM
Oh I just assumed the yellow lines were internal walls! Yes of course I can add some shelves to the sleeping quarters - I'll do that next.

Jacktannery
09-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Ok How's this Rossik. If you want the full high-quality .png you'll need to PM me your email for me to send it to you as its too big for these forums; but to be honest this jpg is perfectly fine in terms of quality I reckon. I probably won't get to the second floor until next weekend.

EDIT: tweaked exterior lighting a bit to make the river brighter and the tower cast a shadow; not sure if its an improvement yet.

48015 48016

rossik
09-03-2012, 06:47 PM
PERFECT!

i prefere the darker waters ;)
thanks a lot, and theres no problem about next week :D

(oh, and the images are great, i dont think i need a higher resolution one)

Jacktannery
09-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Ok here is the final lower floor and the start of the next floor up. Your middle floor sketch is pretty busy.

48076 48077

Bogie
09-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Excellent work Jack! The first floor came out great. I think you got the lighting just right. Have some Rep!

rossik
09-12-2012, 11:24 AM
thats great!
yes, i know, lots of stuffs going on :)
green are chests
purple are "others": bags, sacks, rope, etc
brown are tables
yellow are shelves
and grey are chaminÚs (those holes for smoke to go out). there are 2 in the second floor :)

Jacktannery
09-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Ok. I'm pretty busy at the moment so you'll have to hold on. Feel free to populate that 2nd floor of the tower with furniture yourself if you need it quicker (or get some other sucker); I'll get back on this when I get some free time.

rossik
09-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Ok. I'm pretty busy at the moment so you'll have to hold on. Feel free to populate that 2nd floor of the tower with furniture yourself if you need it quicker (or get some other sucker); I'll get back on this when I get some free time.

ok!
well, i have no skills to do so, so i will wait :)

thanks

Jacktannery
09-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Ok - but it might be a while; your idea is very busy, with dozens of things crammed into a small space and it won't look great no matter what I do.

Here is the top floor anyway. Is this what you wanted (yes I know it has no staircase yet - that comes later).

rossik
09-20-2012, 02:41 PM
yes, this is it :)

just missed the smoke holes for the chimney (one from 1st floor, and one from the kitchen from 2nd floor)

if you think its going to be too confusing, take off some details: after all, they are writen in the text ;)

thanks again!

Jacktannery
09-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks for reminding me about the smokeholes - I will add those. I'll try and stick with floor 2 it as drawn and we can discuss it after the first draft. I'll have something up by the end of this coming weekend I think. I do apologise for the extremely long time this has taken.

Also, should we really be discussing this in this thread? Is it breaking some rule? (this being the map requests thread after all; I don't won't to annoy the moderators).

rossik
09-24-2012, 03:04 PM
good question. i will do anything the moderators think is right

torstan
09-24-2012, 03:49 PM
There should be no problem continuing in this thread, but I'll mark the thread as Taken to avoid others reading the thread to see if there's an active request in here.

Jacktannery
09-25-2012, 04:38 AM
Thanks Torstan.

Jacktannery
09-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Here's floor 2 Rossic - lI had to rearrange some of the internal walls but I think I kept to the plan. It's not great but it'll hopefully do.

anomiecoalition
09-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Looks great, but shouldn't the shelf (just right of center on the top) be placed below the wall?

Bogie
09-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Great job Jack!

It is a tall shelf, so even though it doesn't really go over the wall, I place objects that way sometimes to convey the sense of height.

Jacktannery
09-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Like this?

I prefer my first version but this is also possible.

EDIT: the main thing to fix up on the map is the northern staircase, which needs to be going down and I need to rework the shadows around it; otherwise I think its done.

anomiecoalition
09-30-2012, 05:44 PM
yeah...its a personal preference (and obviously you gotta make what you like and your client likes) - just wasn't sure if it was an oversight. Having seen the two, the shelf below the wall makes it almost look like the room to the left is higher than the room with the shelf - so I would have to say that I also prefer the original.

In general, I'm not a huge fan of those types of shelves because the perspective is a little off from the other objects we use in these types of maps. I've tried to use them before and I always end up going with ones that are purely top down. I think this trend will only continue now that Bogie has reposted shelves (from the Dunjinni Forum) that are top down and allow for customization.

But...the MAP IS AMAZING...i'm very jealous and this is all just nit-picky stuff that doesn't in any way detract from what you have produced.

Jacktannery
09-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks ano. I like the slight angle on very tall furnishings, like the shelves, and you'll also notice that my southern staircase is slightly oblique. Each to their own I guess. Thanks for the critique though, I appreciate your opinion because it makes me rethink my map.

jtougas
09-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Wow is that nice. I have to make a tower for a upcoming "Calan Stonebridge" adventure and now I have some great inspiration !!

Jacktannery
09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
And here is the final version with the staircase fixed. Thanks jtouglas - glad I helped you. Several of the elements used in this map are the work of the fantastic Bogie of course.

rossik
10-01-2012, 08:21 AM
wow...i mean...WOW!!!

awesome work, my friend! love the lights and the "feeling" of cold stone. this is so nice, thanks a lot!
just the 3rd floor (with the smoke holes) and we are done :D

do you have a showcase (is that how its called:) of your work, so i can link it to the pdf?

Jacktannery
10-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Glad you like it Rossik - I'll add the stairs and chimneys to the tower map soonish. I don't have a portfolio to link to - I'm not that professional.

jtougas
10-01-2012, 10:59 AM
wow...i mean...WOW!!!

awesome work, my friend! love the lights and the "feeling" of cold stone. this is so nice, thanks a lot!
just the 3rd floor (with the smoke holes) and we are done :D

do you have a showcase (is that how its called:) of your work, so i can link it to the pdf?

I would second rossik's opinion. And suggest that you at least think about setting up a blog or site somewhere that features all your awesome work :)

Jacktannery
10-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Top floor complete - I'm afraid I'm not very good at smoke. I tried to give the impression of shadows from clouds but not sure if I succeeded.

I'll repost the three finished maps:

48653 48654 48655

jtougas
10-01-2012, 02:10 PM
I think this really looks great. I especially like the smoke effects (maybe it could be a bit heavier?) Also the cloud shadows are a nice touch as well. :)

anomiecoalition
10-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Awesome...there are a lot of free blog sites out there. I set up one with wordpress very easily. (I have no plans on being professional with map stuff myself, but I like having a spot of my own).

Lukc
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I personally recommend blogger aka. blogspot from google - very stable platform, very easy to use and integrates with facebook and google pages very well.

rossik
10-02-2012, 06:06 PM
wow, thanks Jacktannery!

how should i put your name in the work? a nickname, or your real name ?

Jacktannery
10-03-2012, 03:10 AM
You can put 'Jacktannery' (my username) - it is probably easiest. Make sure to mention the Cartographer's Guild and link to the homepage - a lot of the furniture used is by bogie. Glad you are happy with it Rossik.