PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from, uh, sunny-ish Upstate NY

Nonsequitur
05-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Hi! Just joined.

I'm a pen-n-paper enthusiast (AD&D, AD&D2e, RuneQuest), old school miniature collector (circa 1977-1983, the uglier the better), and closet cartophiliac (the shame).

I have a healthy love for fantasy cartography, and I like to dabble when I find the time. There aren't a lot of RPG hobbyists in the area, so I tend to satisfy my gaming needs by devising and developing simple campaign settings. It's not really a hobby I could take to the local art gallery, but it makes me happy. I've done some very basic maps that aren't so horrible that I won't share them here. And I'd also like to add that I have no practical knowledge to share that relates to the art of cartography, I just want to absorb your knowledge, maybe offer some useful outsider criticism along the way.

Great community, btw.

Gamerprinter
05-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Welcome, Nonsequitur!

The love of maps is the first step. Post maps, ask questions and critique away.

NeonKnight
05-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Welcome to our little corner of the web!

RPMiller
05-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Welcome to the Guild Nonsequitur!

pyrandon
05-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Welcome, and glad you will be participating here, helping others while helping yourself! :)

ravells
05-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Welcome to the Guild and, this is a place of learning as well as teaching, so I hope you learn much while you are here.

jaerdaph
05-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Binghamton! My parents live outside of Binghamton in Endwell! My father was an IP lawyer for IBM for 30+ years and we ended up there from NYC when IBM was still around. I went to Seton Catholic Central in Binghamton many, many years ago. I've been living in NYC again though for quite some time now.

Welcome to the Guild, fellow Southern Tier gamer! :)

BTW, is Fat Cat Books still around? That was one of the greatest game stores on the planet.

Nonsequitur
05-13-2008, 01:23 AM
We Southern Tier gamers are a rare breed, Jaerdaph. I've actually toyed with the idea of creating a local Gamer Society (with a more creative name) and posting ads at BCC and BU (hell, even at Davis) just so that I can have a pool of cats to run games with.

Fat Cat still exists, though it moved a couple blocks to a slightly bigger location. Apparently the old property changed hands and the new landlord was a total dick, so they found a better place to set up shop. I try to give them as much business as possible. My only beef is that they don't have enough used stuff, but overall they're a great shop. It's amazing that they can survive in Johnson City.

Great quotes, btw.

GM's Apprentice
05-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Welcome aboard!

My wife went to SUNY-Binghampton. I've some rather fond memories of the place. I think I even remember Fat Cat, although that was a while back....

Nonsequitur
05-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks, man.

Binghamton (and the surrounding area) is still a pretty nice place. Its economy has had to make the conversion from manufacturing- to retail-based in the last fifteen years or so. Not such a great thing, but I imagine it's a pretty common problem for urban centers these days.

Where are you guys located now?

jaerdaph
05-13-2008, 12:11 PM
That's a shame about Fat Cat having to move - that was such a beautiful old building.

I'm living in Astoria (in Queens) in New York City now.

Yeah, Binghamton's manufacturing sector never really recovered from the Reagan/Bush Sr. recession of the late 80s early 90s. IBM left the area, so did GE, I believe. Is Singer Link still around?

The No. 5 is still an excellent restaurant, though. :)

jaerdaph
05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Oh, and BTW, having lived there almost two decades of my life, I *totally* knew you had to be from the Southern Tier before I opened the thread by the "sunny-ish"! :lol:

Nonsequitur
05-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Yeah the No. 5 has some great food. I'm also a fan of the Lost Dog -- really good selection of beers and excellent atmosphere.

Not sure about Singer Link, actually. That's another Endicott manufacturer?

Nine months of gloom, maybe three months of sun. If you're lucky.

jaerdaph
05-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I think Singer Link was right outside of Binghamton towards Kirkwood.

I've been to the Lost Dog Cafe. They moved from the old gas station on Main Street to downtown Binghamton, right?

Have you ever seen a play at The Cider Mill Playhouse (or better yet, had the donuts fresh out of the oven and cider right off the press at The Cider Mill proper)? I used to be the managing director of the theater many, many moons ago. :)

Nonsequitur
05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah, the Lost Dog's new location is really nice. I've never been to the Cider Mill Playhouse, actually. But cider and donuts are a winning combination. I'll have to go at some point.

delgondahntelius
05-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Greetings and welcome to the Guild@!!!@

Nonsequitur
05-16-2008, 01:37 AM
Thanks! I love this place.

delgondahntelius
05-16-2008, 05:34 AM
Ya... it doesn't take to long to grown on ya huh? ... all of about 2 seconds and you're HOOKED!!! :D