PDA

View Full Version : [Brushes & Other Tools] Schwarzkreuz Map-Elements Collection

Schwarzkreuz
07-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Hi,

I have decided to only run one thread here in the Mapping Elements Area and collect all my material for a more easier collecting and distributing.
With the time I want to put some new brushes and other Materials usefull for mapping in this, and open it for discussion.

For the Beginning, I want to post my grids, which I use to design new map-elements like Mountains. To use a grid is an easy way for me to have an overview and controll about the sizes usable for a map. The Grids are on an 300DPI roughly A4 Sheet, the base box size is 5mm x 5mm and increased always by one another dimension of 5 mm. Its helping me a lot to have mountains for each set in a decent number, if I stick to the amount on the sheet.

UPDATE 01: Edited Brushsets

All my Brush-Sets can be used in private and noncomercial projects. Any comercial use is only allowed with my explicit permission. These Sets have been constructed within many hours of work, so please respect my usage Rules. Copyright by Josephe T. Vandel aka Schwarzkreuz. If maps will be created from this, dont forget to put a Link in this thread so we can share it. Dont share or distribute them without former permission on other Websites or sell them. Please provide a Link back to this thread if used.

Here is the First run of Arden Map Brushes, its about half the Brushes used for my Arden Map.

Venice Classic Brushset (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?19431-Brushes-amp-Other-Tools-Schwarzkreuz-Map-Elements-Collection&p=195455&viewfull=1#post195455)

Aldebaran Set (Complete series of over 500 Brushes) 42MB! (http://www.aristagon.com/brushes/Aldebaran_Grand_Set.abr)

UPDATE 02: Unedited Brushsets

Unedited Brushes 01 (http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46731&d=1342705343)

UPDATE 03: Tools and Grids

Brushsetdesign-Sheets (first Post atachment)

UPDATE 04: Textures

Comming soon

UPDATE 05: Photoshop-Actions

Comming soon

UPDATE 06: Tutorials

Easy Forest Tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?18903-Schwarzkreuz-Easy-Forest-with-Shadows-Tutorial)
Easy Coastline Tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?18787-Schwarzkreuz-Realistic-Coastline-in-Photoshop-or-make-your-life-more-easier)

Schwarzkreuz
07-18-2012, 01:36 AM
Ok here is an example of what I archieved with the Grid as tool.

vorropohaiah
07-18-2012, 01:59 AM
thats a great idea having the grid to use as a guide. i find when i make my brushes without the help of a grid they tend to end up strange sizes and especially with slightly off-orientations so i have to manually rotate them once theyre done. very handy tool

Schwarzkreuz
07-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Here are several Hundreads of free Mountains from my past projects. You can use them for free personal Usage, but please contact me before using them for comercial uses.

Schwarzkreuz
09-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Ok I decided to clean up my collection a bit. Hopefully this will see some order soon.

Schwarzkreuz
09-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Here is my Venice Brush set, themed after some old Venice maps. Have Fun with it.

Schwarzkreuz
09-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Over 500 free Brushes launched. Feel free to use them.

Aldebaran Set (Complete series of over 500 Brushes) 42MB! (http://www.aristagon.com/brushes/Aldebaran_Grand_Set.zip)

ruff
09-11-2012, 12:58 AM
Going to give them a run and see.. :) I appreciate all the hard work..

arsheesh
09-11-2012, 01:03 AM
It's very generous of you to give away so much of your work Schwarzkreuz. These are really top notch as well.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Schwarzkreuz
09-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Oh well, Arsheesh, I am already finished another Brushset with about 500 Elements called Ras Algethi. But am nearly about to skip it. The newest Set called Carcosa have already 450 Brushes with about ~300 to be added, drawn with the excellent Nanotechnology Pens of the Pilot-G series. Also i need to finish my Altostratus Color Map set, another one adapting Torstans Mountains and at last another set adapting DJ's Pit of War style. About 50 A4 Textures have to be prepared and than also uploaded. I am only sharing the Sets, that I will no longer use. They got replaced by more advance Brushes.

EDIT:

Some Work in Progress Images

Seraphine_Harmonium
09-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Wow! You really do give out tons of great brushes! I repped you too recently for it to let me rep you again, but you deserve it!

Schwarzkreuz
09-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Thank you! Do you have any surgestions what kind of elements shall be needed?
I am planning on doing more flora brushes, with different Kind of forests next.

And I did learn to do proper ZIP files now :D

Seraphine_Harmonium
09-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Ok, flora is good.

Actually, I really love the buildings in the Aldebaran brush set, but most of them seem to be churches of some kind. Now, it would be pretty easy to just go and erase the crosses to increase versatility, but I would like to see more buildings done in that style, but a broader variety of types of buildings, from modest houses (or clumps of houses) to a castle, maybe a windmill, things like that.

You give so generously, it seems wrong to ask for more. But it's so good, I am always glad to see more.

Schwarzkreuz
09-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Ok i started to draw buildings now

ruff
09-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Ok i started to draw buildings now

Buildings would be AWESOME.. Here in a few days I will be uploading the brushes I made to give back some.. :)

Schwarzkreuz
09-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Fortress & City icons and also Flora Pack done. I will proceed with adjustments this night and than Upload them.

Seraphine_Harmonium
09-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Sounds awesome! I look forward to seeing them.

Schwarzkreuz
09-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Hi Seraphine,

Here are the Previews, the Brushes comes in later, I have been very busy recently and havent much time to draw much.
Its a compilation with a lot of new material. What I want to hightlight is my first try to create a flexible cliff-brush-set.

The atachment is the full resolution file, for those who dont want to wait till i do teh brush set can generate it them selfs from teh file.
Have fun.

Seraphine_Harmonium
09-15-2012, 02:51 AM
AWESOME! The factory-type brushes-to-be are fantastic. Great job!

ravells
09-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Brilliant, thanks Schwarz!

Yusaku Asano
09-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Your work is really excellent!
When you have time it would be great to give us some village-town brushes too! (dark age- viking - medieval staff)

Galendae
09-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Holy Crap! I knew you were a serious talent when I first saw your work here, now you are also a serious asset and contributor to this site! Thanks!

Schwarzkreuz
09-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Thank you all. I try to improve myself on the process. And repeating over and over again has the effect to getting better. If I compare my first maps to those I create now, its a huge gap. But that was walked in slowmotion. I am not sure if or if not I agree in that 10.000h Expert theory or not, but you get better in everything spending enough time and motivation in a skill. I am still a mediocre drawer in many things. Mapping helps me to find motivation to improve also in other fields.

Schwarzkreuz
09-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Ok here is also the cleanedup Mounain Reference Sheet I did before, included in here.

Schwarzkreuz
09-20-2012, 09:09 AM
And here comes the Giveaway of the Week.

My complete Set of handdrawn dots and Icons for maps and my render-references Drawings also usable as textures for mapping. Well here is the raw file, have fun using it!

Schwarzkreuz
10-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Here is a Compass Rose Grid in a PNG file to be applied on maps, Have fun with it.

Schwarzkreuz
10-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Here is a full circle of 32 lined Compass lines in perfect arrangement for map use. Also again in a PNG

jtougas
10-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Wow.. This is all just awesome. Thank you so much for all your work and for sharing all these incredible elements with us :)

Schwarzkreuz
10-29-2012, 11:41 PM
I growed with this community, and so I give back what I learned. Its cool if I can be of any help here.

Schwarzkreuz
10-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Here is the Ragged Line Pattern for Old printed maps.
Have fun withit

Lyandra
10-31-2012, 07:50 AM
It is wonderful what you are doing here Schwarzkreuz, giving back to the community. It is so nice of you to share all this stuff you put in so much time and effort to create. Your brushes are simply beautiful, other resources you have shared are very useful as well. Thanks! :) The tips on working with brushes in PS were especially useful to me. ;)

Schwarzkreuz
10-31-2012, 08:43 AM
Anything more you wish to get ?

Seraphine_Harmonium
10-31-2012, 10:39 PM
How much work is it for you to get some of these that you have made turned into brushes? I can make it work without that if it's hard.

Schwarzkreuz
10-31-2012, 11:14 PM
I dont have time to digitilized it all, I draw way too much mountains. and stuff. I digitilize them when I need them. So well, Its not looking like I will have time to make brushes from them so fast, so if you want to do so feel free to do it and post them here.

Lyandra
11-01-2012, 05:38 AM

Just keep up the amazing work you are already doing! ;) Though I must say that an in depth tutorial about your workflow in PS would be welcome.^^

Schwarzkreuz
11-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Just Skype me, i like to talk while mapping, and I still have a lot of maps to Be finished. I am Happ to answer your questions.

Lyandra
11-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. :)

Ornir
12-17-2012, 05:11 AM

Thank you so very much for the inspiration, brushes and other elements.

It appears that the file Aldebaran_Grand_Set.zip is no longer available and your link is dead. I would love to get a copy of these brushes if they are still available somewhere else.

Thanks!

KarbinCry
12-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Here is a full circle of 32 lined Compass lines in perfect arrangement for map use. Also again in a PNG

Do you have a .svg version? It would help me a lot.
Also, I would like to thank you for all the wonderful brushes! :)

Hai-Etlik
12-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Do you have a .svg version? It would help me a lot.
Also, I would like to thank you for all the wonderful brushes! :)

If not, I have an SVG here: Portolan Chart Lines by *Hai-Etlik on deviantART (http://hai-etlik.deviantart.com/art/Portolan-Chart-Lines-176848667)

Or you could try my generator program (which requires Ruby). http://www.cartographersguild.com/automation-scripts-actions/11692-portolan-line-generator.html

Schwarzkreuz
12-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Thank you so very much for the inspiration, brushes and other elements.

It appears that the file Aldebaran_Grand_Set.zip is no longer available and your link is dead. I would love to get a copy of these brushes if they are still available somewhere else.

Thanks!

Broken Link restored, thanks for telling me.

Vellum
12-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Hey Schwarzkreuz I'm still getting broken links :(, mind double checkin their ok on your end, thanks V

Nocturniquet
04-25-2013, 05:20 AM
You have given me so much information and resources.

One thing I haven't seen though is your process for making parchment/paper as your map background. Do you just use a very large parchment image or do you make the parchment for each particular map you do?

Schwarzkreuz
05-08-2013, 05:59 AM
I use a Library and a Scanner ;)

Pandemonium
02-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Hi there Schwarzkreuz! I thought I'd drop a quick note to say that I think these brushes are incredible! They look utterly fantastic!

I was wondering if I would be able to use them in a game I am working on at the moment? I ask because I have a world map that your icons would finish off beautifully, and I would love to use them if possible!

If not, I completely understand, but I would love to show some of your work off in my project!

Valkiery
03-10-2014, 11:38 PM
thanks for the great brushes!

Schwarzkreuz
03-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Enjoy them.

anomander
03-11-2014, 07:14 AM
Enjoy them.

Dear Sir,
I created an account just to say WOW! You are an amazing inspiration for a newcomer! And THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all your contributions!

:):):):)

nzlemming
11-29-2014, 02:38 AM
I got a 404 when I left clicked on the link, but I got the file when I right-clicked and used "Save as"

Schwarzkreuz, you do good work, and I thank you for it.