PDA

View Full Version : Ystraad

Bohunk
05-05-2008, 07:53 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/Bohunk25/Ystraadparchment.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/Bohunk25/Bereden.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/Bohunk25/aberech.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. My file is 14 mb so I had to cut it down to size. Obviously I am going for a mercator style. I can't seem to find the correct fonts, it's driving me crazy! I like the regional font though.

This map is not yet completed but I wanted to get some hints off of you before I'm done.

RobA
05-05-2008, 09:26 PM
The lake edged look a bit crisp compared to the ocean edge on the closeup, but other than that, very nice! I too like that font...

-Rob A>

ravells
05-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi Bohunk! Beautiful map, like RobA, I really like the font too - it would go well with a 'wood cut' or copper etched feel.

Just one comment, usually the the rectangles on the border (I think it's called a 'neatline') are used as subdivisions of the latitude and longitude lines (I think collectively known as a 'graticule'). At the moment your graticule does not match the neatline - presumably this is an easy fix if your graticule is on a seperate layer.

cheers

Ravs

jaerdaph
05-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi Bohunk,

I really like your map! Did you do this in CC3 with the Mecator style pack from last year's Cartographer's Annual?

Also, what is the name of the font you are using? I know I have that font but I can't remember the name.

Nonsequitur
05-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Wow, I'm salivating. I have to agree with RobA's comment, but overall... Just beautiful.

Bohunk
05-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. This was from the annual, however I did not keep much. New symbols and used solid white in place of my parchments and touched it up in photoshop after I saved as PNG.

The regional font is EcuyerDAX and smaller font is paquard antique.

Thanks again for the comments and kudos!

Bohunk
05-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Toned down the size of file so I can attach it...

Added some borders, fixed the grid and lake outline. The land that is not bordered has what is considered to be barbarian and I am thinking maybe not putting borders around it for each area. What do you guys think?

ravells
05-09-2008, 09:55 AM
I think it's one of the most beautifully understated maps I have ever seen. What is interesting is that you have managed to create such a stunning map by using only 1 type of tree icon. Bravo. This map is a masterclass in simplicity, superb use of colour, composition and line weight.

NeonKnight
05-09-2008, 10:17 AM
I like it because it shows that CC3 CAN make beautiful maps.

You sir have inspired me. Duly repped!

landorl
05-09-2008, 11:27 AM
These are some of the nicest maps that I have seen with CC3, and the best thing is that they don't look like generic CC3 maps. These look like they were hand done.

Bohunk
05-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Wow thanks guys. You've really made my day with those comments! It's nice to have all the time and hard work I put in to maps appreciated like that. Thanks again.

Ravs, now ya got me making new tree symbols...

Torq
05-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Lovely map Bohunk. I think it shows great artistic skill and grasp of subtlety of colour and lines. I think its really cool and nicely put together. I also liked your names fro towns and things. They just struck a chord with me.

Torq

RPMiller
05-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Absolutely agree, and most definitely repped!

Bohunk
05-15-2008, 09:43 AM
I just wanted to post my final version of this map, (unless someone finds a ridiculous error of course!) The actual version is 20+ meg so this a smaller version. I decided to stay away from borders right now, I think it looks better without.

I wanted to thank those that have helped and complimented me.

RobA
05-15-2008, 12:06 PM
You can post it over at the finished map forum. If you like, one of the CL's can move this last post there...

-Rob A>

Bohunk
05-15-2008, 01:43 PM
You can post it over at the finished map forum. If you like, one of the CL's can move this last post there...

-Rob A>

Sure, wasn't thinking.

torstan
05-15-2008, 02:15 PM
That's a stunner. Beautifully done - and I can't believe that's a CC3 map.

ki11erDM
05-15-2008, 02:55 PM
That is one heck of a rocking map!

StillCypher
05-20-2008, 06:08 AM
Really spectacular...

::color me green with map envy!::

Vapour
08-26-2008, 04:00 AM
Truely a beautiful piece of work! One thing that disappointed me slightly was that the only thing that doesn't look 19th Century is the shadowing around the coast. Create the horizontal lines around the coast instead of the shadow and you'll have the perfect 19th Century look!
Bloody amazing otherwise. Love it!

Karro
08-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Congrats on making Featured Map! It's really a fantastic looking map!

Moniker
09-04-2008, 11:17 AM
I would LOVE to get my hands on the coastal outline and/or the FCW file for this!

Cheers,
Daniel

ProFantasy
10-06-2008, 06:51 AM
I'd be interested to know what you did to the PNG in Photoshop when it left CC3.

Bohunk
10-06-2008, 09:41 PM
The export from CC3 was white except for the coastal glow which I beleive was a greenish yellow color. The work in PS was basically aging it; a texture, some darkened edges, and a parchement type color.

ProFantasy
10-07-2008, 04:32 AM
The export from CC3 was white except for the coastal glow which I beleive was a greenish yellow color. The work in PS was basically aging it; a texture, some darkened edges, and a parchement type color.

Thanks. I was just seeing the extent to which this appearance could be reproduced in CC3. I think it could be done with a Whole Drawing Filter which includes Texturize (to add the texture), RGB Matrix Process (to age it) and an Inner Glow (to add the edge effect). None of that would be as easy as doing with Photoshop though, I imagine, but if we set up a template with it pre-done it would be easy for maps in the future.

The symbols you used - are they public domain?

Bohunk
10-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I am almost positive that the effects could have been done in CC3, and if I were more experienced with some of the effects that CC3 can do I would not have transferred the file over to Elements.

As far as the symbols are concerned I did not copyright them, but I probably would not want to see others profit by them. Why do you ask?

The Stoat
10-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I am in awe of this map. It is absolutely beautiful.
I really loved the mountains. There is just enough variety to keep the illusion it was all hand drawn. How many different mountains went into the picture?

PokealypseNow
10-13-2008, 06:32 PM
That's a really great map, Bo! My only real suggestions are quite nit-picky concerns about the color pallet, do I won't bother you with them here.

Kudos to you!

Bohunk
10-13-2008, 08:12 PM
I am in awe of this map. It is absolutely beautiful.
I really loved the mountains. There is just enough variety to keep the illusion it was all hand drawn. How many different mountains went into the picture?

Thanks, I think around 10 to 12 different mountains, made with a mouse into symbols for CC3. I recently bought a tablet so I will hand draw all my mountains from now on.

That's a really great map, Bo! My only real suggestions are quite nit-picky concerns about the color pallet, do I won't bother you with them here.

Kudos to you!

Thanks Imp. I remember that I wanted a parchement map that seemed to have color in it once but then faded over time. I don't think I achieved that but when I was playing with colors and found these understated shades, I stayed with it.

bblackmoor
12-11-2009, 02:39 AM
That Ystraad map is just lovely. Hard to believe that CC3 made that.