PDA

View Full Version : July / August Lite Challenge: *** Limited Colour Palette***

ravells
07-30-2012, 05:58 AM
Apologies that we have let this month's challenge slide.

A simple silhouette to make into a map at any scale you wish. You can use part or all of the image but if you use a part of it, please identify which part you have used in your WIP thread. You must, however work with the limited colour palette (muted colours) below. You can 'mix' these by overlaying them at varying transparencies if you wish and you may use some or all of the colours.

We'll hold the challenge over for a little longer to give you a bit more time but you should aim to complete by 15th of next month.

Good Luck everyone!

:: Edit :: uploaded a bigger version of the .jpg (at 7,000 px).

vorropohaiah
07-30-2012, 06:09 AM
ooh this looks cool.

are we restricted to a certain number of colours from that palette, or any/all?

ravells
07-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Hi vorropohaiah, good question! You may use some or all of the colours. Thanks for spotting this, I've updated the challenge wording.

LindaJeanne
07-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Ooh, this should be fun. :)

Ghostman
07-30-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure yet whether I'll participate in this challenge, but anyway: here's a GIMP palette file I composed of the colors in the attached image. It might be easier to select colors from it instead of using the color picker every time.

Installation for GIMP 2.x on WinXP: unzip the file and place it under .gimp-2.x/palettes/, found under the Documents and Settings/ folder.

Beoner
07-30-2012, 02:50 PM
This might be a stupid question, but I couldn't find the answer on the post so here it goes: Is is necessary to use the exact same image, without changing the colours (pink and black)? Or can I use only the shape?

Thank you,

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-30-2012, 03:05 PM
MY understanding is that we have to use that shape, but then we can change the colors to anything in the limited palette that they have provided.

ravells
07-31-2012, 03:18 AM
Seraphine has the right of it. Also, you can use all or some of the shape (but if you use some, identify which part in your WIP thread).

Beoner
07-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Oh, ok, I thought it was that but I wanted to make sure :)

Thank you again,

Thurlor
07-31-2012, 09:46 PM
A couple of quick questions;

- Can we use the black and pink from the original base image?
- Can different colours be used during the creation process? I would need extra colours to generate height fields.

ravells
07-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Hi Thurlor:

- You can only use colours from the palette. So black yes but pink no.
- You can do what you like during the process as long the final colours are those of the limited palette or an overlaid mix of one or more of them.

Seriously, don't spend your time overthinking the rules, better to spend it doing the challenge.

:)

p.s. please don't tell me that you were seriously thinking of using that pink in this challenge.

Thurlor
07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
I wasn't to sure about the pink, but black would be helpfull. Also, that colour plaette does not contain black. The closest it has is 11100c, which is nearly black.

I've already started work on the map, so I wasn't really obsessing over the rules. Just wanting to make sure my plan was valid.

ravells
08-01-2012, 04:56 AM
Good to hear it! Sorry I didn't mean to be harsh in my last post! I see you what you mean now. You can't use the black from the template only the near black from the limited palette provided.

maackey
08-02-2012, 04:51 PM
I tried to make a pallette from the colors, and thought I had successfully done so, but then when I try to fill up the land color with say, brown or blue, I get the exact same purple as the ocean! :(

I just downloaded Ghostman's pallette, and will try that (thanks man!), but I'm still confused as to why mine doesn't work.

edit: pallette window didn't show up, here it is:

Ghostman
08-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Make sure that the image you're editing is set to RGB mode (http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-mode.html).

maackey
08-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Ahh, thank you. For some reason I thought I had to be in indexed mode to use a pallette.

ravells
08-15-2012, 05:15 AM
I'll be closing the challenge tonight (about 10pm GMT) as I'll be travelling tomorrow. Try and get your entries finished!