PDA

View Full Version : July / August 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: The City of Trovesport, Jewel of the Crown

LindaJeanne
07-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Only time will tell if I've bitten off more than I can chew for the timeframe again:

### Latest WIP ###

LindaJeanne
08-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Critiques welcome, btw. There's so much I'm still learning.

Elevation contours added, and starting to sketch out the locations of the major fortifications. I need to make the scale more consistent; the river should be wider. And the contours need to be adjusted... not entirely natural-looking as they are now.

### Latest WIP ###

atpollard
08-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Should the land get darker as it rises and the water become darker as it gets deeper?

LindaJeanne
08-02-2012, 08:52 PM
More of the city roughly sketched out:

### Latest WIP ###

LindaJeanne
08-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Refined the rough-layout of the city districts, and added rough layout of the countryside:

### Latest WIP ###

Should the land get darker as it rises and the water become darker as it gets deeper?
That's how most modern maps are. :) But I've always liked the effect I've seen on some antique maps where the saturation is greatest on the coastline (my guess is that the reason was to use less ink. But the look seemed appropriate for this map.)

LindaJeanne
08-04-2012, 08:11 PM
More refinements.

Next, I've got to start putting the buildings in :)

### Latest WIP ###

Edited to add: while working on buildings for the seaward-facing slope by the river-- I noticed that the river is just sort of floating on top of the contours. Yes, it's flowing down, but it hasn't carved any sort of bed for itself. Next step: fix the contours so that the surface water is a little less literally "surface" water.

Larb
08-04-2012, 08:18 PM
This is looking very pretty. It's all vector, right?

LindaJeanne
08-04-2012, 08:35 PM

I like the flexibility of vector. So much easier to edit and make changes than with raster.

ravells
08-04-2012, 08:53 PM
It's looking great, Linda! I love that curvy feeling you've got going on the map.

LindaJeanne
08-05-2012, 09:27 AM
It's looking great, Linda! I love that curvy feeling you've got going on the map.

Thanks!

While waiting for the July/August Lite challenge to begin, I was experimenting with trying to get a more intuitive feel for using bezier curves, and playing around with contour maps. So that kind of carried over into my challenge entry :)

LindaJeanne
08-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Elevation contours fixed to put the river in a river bed. (Previously, the surface water was sort of floating just above the surface).

### Latest WIP ###

Edited to add: oops, looks like I forgot to turn one of the ocean layers back on before exporting. The ocean contours are still there, they're just hidden in this view.

LindaJeanne
08-05-2012, 07:53 PM
I've begun putting in the larger houses. Slightly higher resolution export this time.

### Latest WIP ###

Chashio
08-07-2012, 02:04 AM
Very clean. I like it =)

Tigon
08-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Yeah, very nice indeed! Looks like a cracking freshwater source for the city too. Are you going to run an aqueduct in?

LindaJeanne
08-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Very clean. I like it =)

Yeah, very nice indeed! Looks like a cracking freshwater source for the city too. Are you going to run an aqueduct in?

Thanks!

I was playing around with ideas for visibly getting fresh water to the northern part of the city, but I'm not sure if I will or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cracking" in this context :?:

OK. A few more houses, and a bit more detail to the existing houses. I'm going to be seeing little polygons in my sleep tonight, i think :).

### Latest WIP ###

Hmm... not sure I like the how the roofs are on the tiniest buildings. Might have to re-do those.

Tigon
08-08-2012, 04:38 AM
:D "cracking" means good in this context. You might be better off without the sloped roofing showing of course.

lostatsea
08-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Looking straight down you wouldn't see the "gables " of the roofs. (The small end triangles). As they are actually part of the side walls. Other than tha this is coming along great !!!

Chashio
08-08-2012, 10:23 PM
I think they're hip roofs, not gable. But that might be a better style to try if you're not happy with what you have.

LindaJeanne
08-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Yup, the small buildings currently have hip roofs :). I think I'm going to try changing them to mansard -- if that doesn't work, I may remove the internal roof lines entirely and have them go back to just being outlines.

Thurlor
08-11-2012, 03:38 AM
Nice work. Such a nice, clean, stylised map.

LindaJeanne
08-11-2012, 06:47 PM
No more messing with roof-lines until the crucial stuff is in place!

I could easily spend a month just on the arrangements of houses in the city and their architectural styles. But if I'm going to finish in time, I just have to let. it. go.

Once I have everything there, then I can go back and improve things.

### Latest WIP ###

Chashio
08-11-2012, 07:44 PM
;) ya missed one.

It looks very nice. One question... did you do the upper rivers in raster or vector?

LindaJeanne
08-11-2012, 11:19 PM
\One question... did you do the upper rivers in raster or vector?

It's vector. The Inkscape "pencil" tool creates a line with about a bajillion nodes, which is why it looks so raster-ish. The river needs fine-tuning, but it's a low priority right now :)

OK. I promised myself I'd get all the buildings roughed in before bed tonight. Turns out the only way to do that was to do a rush, clumsy job of it. So this will need extensive revision, but at least I've gotten the first draft of the building footprints down.

### Latest WIP ###

Edited to add: yeah, the sizes and distributions need fine-tuning. And not just because there are buildings built across paths, blocking them.

LindaJeanne
08-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Alright. I know I said I was stopping for the night, but that last upload looked so noisy/busy it was driving me crazy. Here's a slightly cleaned up version:

### Latest WIP ###

Further revision will have to wait until morning; now I really AM going to bed :)

LindaJeanne
08-12-2012, 03:29 PM
The next installment:

### Latest WIP ###

anomiecoalition
08-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Don't know to really describe it, but I love the interplay you have going on between smooth and sharp shapes (i.e. the variety of sharp geometric patterns nested within the flowing curves.) Looking forward to the next update.

LindaJeanne
08-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks! :).

I don't know if I'll have time to work on this between now and when the contest closes, so this might be the final. We'll see.

### Latest WIP ###

LindaJeanne
08-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Alright. Did some touching up and finishing up. (Gonna regret this when the alarm goes off tomorrow morning; I should have been in bed hours ago!)

### Latest WIP ###

Edited to add: d'oh! I forgot to turn the ocean contours back on before I exported it. Not dealing with that tonight. One could argue the flat blue looks better anyway... I'll deal with it tomorrow if I have time.

vorropohaiah
08-14-2012, 03:11 AM
i love the colour-palette on this entry; i think it makes great use of the colour choices given with the challenge. great job

arsheesh
08-15-2012, 01:39 AM
I agree, it is a rather nice color palette.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

LindaJeanne
08-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys :)

### Latest WIP ###

Thurlor
08-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Wow. This looks amazing. The colours work well together. I must say though that I preferred the solid blue water.

It's amazing how good a finished map looks.