PDA

View Full Version : Aguilia - my first map.

Kasaichi
08-01-2012, 05:46 AM
I'm new at this forum and I wanted to show You my maps. I've made it in Paint.NET. Which is better? Old-styled or normal map?:?:

Ghostman
08-01-2012, 01:34 PM
They're the exact same thing in two different styles, you can't objectively say one version is better than the other. I'd consider the old-styled map prettier based on personal preference. It's a good map in either style, especially for one's first map and for being drawn in Paint.NET :D

arsheesh
08-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Not too shabby. Welcome to the Guild Kasaichai.

Cheers,]
-Arsheesh

jbgibson
08-02-2012, 10:43 PM
They're both nice, just a bit too 'combined'. What I mean is, I'd lose the key or figure out a way to make it meaningful on the older style. And I'd modernize the font some on the full-color one.

You have serious issues with your rivers. Take a look at Redrobes' Most Excellent Tutorial on how to get your rivers in the right place. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?3822-How-to-get-your-rivers-in-the-right-place&goto=newpost) The tenet of hydrography you are missing is that water takes the single 'best' route downhill. Rivers join on the way to the sea, but don't diverge - minor midstream islands and deltas notwithstanding. Applying that to lakes means there'll be but one outlet, though one can have multiple inlets.

Keep working on it - you have a good look going there. And welcome to the Guild!

raindog308
08-03-2012, 01:39 AM
If you are using your maps for a roleplaying purpose, you could easily make the first one rougher - some missing details, burned edges, tears, etc. Then perhaps later the actual map on the right is available in the storyline.