PDA

View Full Version : [Unpaid - Taken] Help with a map to role-playing with friends.

Facubaci
08-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Hello.
I'm looking for who can help me to make a map for an RPG I'm making to play with friends. Just for that, play with friends, nothing commercial.
Sorry I can not upload a sketch map I want. Yesterday I started to draw, and I think tomorrow will be ready. If someone offered to help me now, I'd be very grateful. I will add the information you may need to draw in detail to the map.

Description:
Well, the map I'm doing ... actually two maps. One is a continent called Rovendor. The other is a section of that continent, more detailed.
I will add the map scale when I upload the map. Do I need to be in inches?, Can not be in kilometers?

Style:
The style (ie how I want to make it), does not really matter (I mean the profesionality of the map), and I don't expect someone to lose much of their time doing.
It would be good to add edges, aged, reliefs, etc., you know. I'm seeking the two maps that have the same background... having the same format but the different areas (which I will upload).

Quality and Size:
Well, if the maps look good, I plan to do some posters (or great photos) with them, and hang in a painting on my wall. Therefore, should have a good resolution for that when enlarged, its pixels are not altered.

Time constraints:
I have no time limit, as this is a free solicitude. I can not impose a time to work.

Copyright:
I want the map for a personal use. I will use to play roleplaying games with my friends. I do not know too much about copyright, but I would like to preserve the rights of the map.

Contact Info:
Can write to facu-diablo@hotmail.com

Thank you very much.
Greetings to all.

PS: Soon I will upload the sketches and details.

Facubaci
08-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Hello. Sorry for the delay.
Well, I finished drawing the sketch of the first map for any person of good heart who want help me, haha.

I wanna ask something: I have the names of the regions that are on the map. Do I add them now?, or, after making the entire map of the continent, I pass another photo with the names? As you wish.

This first map is Rovendor, the entire continent itself. There are three areas "large", which are separated by water:
-Strangor (highest, middle)
-Glimghard (small, right)
-Strateglass (the small, down).
It is also defined in different areas with different climates, (I'll upload a photo of the confined areas, but in a old map).

I specified the style above; if you can re-draw would be good (outline, reliefs, forests and oceans). The things you see fit.

Anyone wishing to do so, I would appreciate it with all my heart. If you have any questions, feel free to tell me, I will answer with as much detail as possible (I have descriptions of how areas are).

That is Rovendor. References:
-Dark red point: capital of the elves.
-Red points: Elven villages.
-Yellow point: capital of the dwarves.
-Dark blue point: capital of the humans.
-Blue points: humans villages.

There's more references, but I do not want to publish as much of my stuff until someone takes this map. I have more maps as reference too.
In the next days perhaps I will upload the next map.

Thank you very much. I hope someone will take pity on me, haha.
Greetings to all, and I hope that you have a good day.

Facubaci
08-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Hello.
Well, I think my issue hasn't caused any interest in the foro.
I wanna tell you that I'll upload the other map if anybody wants help me with this other. I mean, come on guys... 260 views and anything answers...

Please, help me. At least answer something :(
Thank you. Greetings for all.

Chashio
08-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I looked in a few days ago, but I don't have time to work on it. It's a very pretty sketch. =)

Suggestion... you might want to link to a couple of other maps that you like the look of. That may get a few more people interested.

Facubaci
08-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Oh, thanks god!

Thank you for answer, Chashio.
Ok, I will link to other maps that have a similar result as I look on my map. I did not want to show other maps because, perhaps, you think I'm picky, that's why I said I did not mind the professionalism of the result (if the quality, ie, the resolution ... to make posters).

Well, some maps that are similar to what I want:

-http://www.deepleap.net/jademap.jpg Very good.

-47342 Excellent.

- As best:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46052&d=1340768470 In the best of cases.

I said I do not want to require a professional map ... even in black and white, after, I can look for how to paint and add the names. But the maps that I linked have very good results, similar to I wish. I am satisfied with anything result.

Thank you very much everyone. Thanks Chachio.
Greetings.

PS: If someone takes this map, I will publish the other.

Ilanthar
08-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Well, I like your continent's form and I'm not busy with my own maps or work, so I think I could try something.

I'm gonna do a test based on your sketch and you'll tell me if it will do for you.

Cunning Cartographer
08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
(Not trying to jump the gun with Ilanthar's offer, but I had decided to give this a try before he had posted. Wanted to give it a try before I committed myself to it publicly :D )

Was feeling charitable so I had a stab at this this afternoon; if you like the style then I'll carry on with it.

I've never made a region map before (I generally put my hand to battle maps) so you'll have to bare with me. Added in most stuff, only thing I need to work on is the inking for the mountains and forests, etc. (never made a brush set so again it will be another new experience for me). I got the landmass as close as I could, probably a few extra islands here and there, but let me know if there are currently any major problems with missing/added features.

If you're happy then I'll start inking in the mountains, from there I think I'll need you to mark where you want the forests and stuff because it's quite hard to make out from the sketch (to the point where one or two of these rivers might have been forest outlines :D ). I'm happy to work with you a little on it for labeling, etc.

I'm still working on and tweaking the map (within reason given that this is a freebie :D) but I'll try and make it look as professional as possible with the time I can allocate. Designing at 300ppi at approx 40x50cm print size (just roughly the size of your scan) but I can resize it for an A3 Print if preferred.

Facubaci
08-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Hello!
God! Thank you very much!
I never really could have done myself a map like that, so I appreciate it highly.
I liked the result you got: the relief and the color of the paper. Very good.

I like it. But taking the idea that it is a sketch, let me mention a few things that could be removed or added.

-The importance of the accuracy of things.. I mean, not added or removed islands or the base geography, as the map is designed (I would have to invent the name of each island that you add).
-The mountains can be like those of Example 1 or 3 ... if you can not do better, no matter, because I do not know the difficulty of making them.
-Inking: I prefer a very thin black for the edges, as in Example 3. At the coast you can remove the three blue lines, leaving only a very fine (again, as in Example 3).
-I like the fount of the words. But the location and size can be changed.

I reiterate: if you can't do any of these things, there isn't problem.

Another thing: I'm sure I'm going to print the poster in A1 format (68 x 97 cms approx.), so, it's probably necessary the increase of the resolution.

I added the forests. The rivers (and others things) have differentiated.
I also scanned three maps of small areas, only if they will help.

Rovendor, the continent.

Some references:
-The forest in the middle of the map is dark.
-With respect to the fjords that I have marked: I wish they were more detailed, and less rounded (then I will link a map that I did draw about these).

The maps help:
Map 1; Orgoll.

Map 2; Dark forest.

Map 3; Duringor's Basin.

That's all for now.
Thank you very much, really!

Greetings to all.

PD: Ilanthar, I'll wait for your map too, thanks! :D

Cunning Cartographer
08-10-2012, 04:29 AM
Okay that's a lot more info and very useful. Really nice sketches as well so it's obvious a lot of time and effort has already gone into these maps, which for me makes me more compelled to help someone who has already made such a big effort as opposed to someone turning up with no idea but wanting something for free. The edits you have asked for should be easy enough, the accuracy of the map.. well, we'll see. The method I used is a quick and easy generation of land and jagged edges, then cutting it more roughly to the shape of your land. If you're wanting it more accurate then it will take a lot more time potentially (that's not to say I'm not willing, but I think it then becomes a little more than I was expecting so might take longer).

I'll wait to see what Illanthar produces before continuing though, in case you prefer his style it doesn't make much sense me working on it if you're going to go another way. Again, really nice sketches though!

Facubaci
08-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Thank you very much!
Well, you're right: I spent some time designing the world; I try to make it as detailed as possible. Thank you very much, are just drawings :)

Regarding the edits: I am very pleased that the vast majority can be made. The accuracy can see it later.
I want to mention that I have found the map of the fjords (the ones I've marked on the map) that once I drew. I can re-draw and link them here.
I wanna also remember that any map you want (or details about something) I can draw or explain it as detailed as possible. I have a lot information on most of the continent (sketches, descriptions, etc.) for you can check.

You should not feel obligated to anything. I can only give you my full appreciation for all you've done.

Okay, let's see what Illanthar produces. Anyway I want to thank you in advance for the effort you made for me, really.
For now, I can publish a map of the fjords, if you need them (or any other map or description, just ask to me).

Thank you very much.
Greetings to all.

PS: Thanks again for the sketches! :D

Ilanthar
08-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Well, congrats, it's a very fine map already Mr Vospeck!

I just gave it a try, so mine is less developped. I just put some moutains & a few rivers (not completely finished).
In fact, I thought to work it the same way I've done my Agartha map with a few more tests (according to your requests) and without the political land coloration.

I, too, haven't much time to spend, and wouldn't been offended if you prefer another mapmaker! There a lot of great artists there and I'm not one of those who are skilled in every map styles !

So, just tell me if you want me to keep working on it (knowing it won't be finished soon).

PS : I'm curious ; do you have something in mind with what appears to me be a skull form for your continent ?

Pryme8
08-12-2012, 02:08 PM
I like your hand drawn maps... I think you should look up some inking tutorials and do them yourself, because your very good at the construction from what I see... dont be so critical on yourself! you dont need anyones help, infact some of use should be asking your for inspiration.

Cunning Cartographer
08-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Good job there Ilanthar :)

Facubaci
08-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Oh wow, it will be hard to choose.
Thank you very very much to both. Tonight I will decide with which to follow ... And when I do, I'll upload a map with the areas defined.

Thank you very much, great job guys!
Greetings ... I repeat: it will be hard to choose ...

PS: Some people told me, some time ago, about the shape of a skull which has the continent. Let me say that the form has changed five times ... was unintentional that the map is finished with that form, haha.

Facubaci
08-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Hello.
Well, I have nearly ready the zones map (which will only serve as a reference). And ... I already made the decision.

I would like to thank you to both. They were very good to help someone for free, I am very happy!. Yospeck, thank you very much for being the first to get to work on my map and accept the modifications I wanted.
However, the Ilanthar's work was the most resembled what I wanted at first ... the form was respected and the colors are good. So I decided to go with you, Ilanthar. I hope you wanna go on with my map too, haha.

There are some changes that, if not too difficult to implement, I'd like you to add:

-The resolution, I want to increase a little. Remember that I want to make a poster with map, and the size will be in A1 format, so the definition is important.
-The mountains if you can improve a little.
-I would like the black thin edges.
-If you Add an old style to the map would be nice.
-The river water has the same color as the sea water.
-I wonder if the names can be changed after you finish the map. That is, if I want to add or change some names, I'd like to give me a map without the names so I can add them later.

Nothing more for now. I wonder if, after you apply the changes, you can change more things... That is, if I do not like something when you complete the map, I want to know if you can change some things anyway.
If some changes can not be made, no problem.

Seriously guys, thank you very much to both.
I will publish more information on the continent when you want.

Thank you!
Greetings to everyone.

PS: This map has some incredible mountains and rivers. Also the color and forests...
http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46052&d=1340768470&fb_source=message

Cunning Cartographer
08-14-2012, 12:54 AM
*thumbs up* Hope you'll show us the final results!

Ilanthar
08-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Ok, I'm gonna test a few things... so I'm not quite sure of the results.

I certainly can color the rivers in the same manner and I have no problem with a "no names" map (it's yours after all!), but I'm not confident with your other requests.
By the way, what do you expect exactly when you say "old style map"? And, the "black thin edges" applied for the map or the mountains?

Anyhow, I'll show you a part of the map with the new tests, and you'll tell me if it's OK for you.
Oh, and OK for the bigger resolution, I know what it is to mapping the wall for an RPG :D !

Facubaci
08-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Okey.

Thank you very much again for the effort, Ilanthar.
So, the theme of rivers, names, and resolution is finished. Very good. Remember: it will be a map of RPG, but it will also be a poster, so I'd like to be a detailed map, like a drawing or photograph (one question: 5000pixls is best for a sheet of A1 size or A2?)

When I say "old style map" I mean to add aging to the map, as if it has many years old. You could add ragged edges, small stains, etc.. then we will see how it looks.

When I say "black thin edges" I mean making small edges of the continent (and also of the mountains) for it seems that everything is drawn with the same "pen", with the same "line" ... you can look at the example 3 that I linked... you can see how the edges of the mountains and the edges of contienente is very similar.

I want to see how you make the forests and mountains. I think you have a good style :D

I have finished making the map with the zones, Which only serve as a reference for you to put the names. The color is only to differentiate areas (it hasn't to do with the sovereignties, the reliefs, the color of the earth, etc).

Thank you very much!
Greetings to everyone.

Ilanthar
08-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Well, thanks for the details, I'm gonna see what I can do.

I'm drawing your map with the following dimensions : 4788 x 5976 px and according to my software, its a 23,940 x 29,880 inches picture. But, I used to print it with another software and use the rule : 1050 x 1485 px for an A4... So, I guess it's up to you.

If you want to have an idea of one of my recent map with moutains and forests :
http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47585&d=1345207793

This was a huge map (too much for my soft... I got a lot of problems). Tell me if you're waiting for this kind of forests.

I'll try to show you a first try till next monday.

Facubaci
08-17-2012, 12:58 PM
What's happen if you use mountains like this?
http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38946&d=1317762386

Ilanthar
08-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Ok, this is a first try and I'm not really satisfied of the result... I think the mountains and rivers are too much drowned in the background...
But you tell me if there are some of these tests that are satisfying for you.

I can use the mountains (without problems) you're talking about if it's free of use.
So I'm waiting for your guidance and think about a way to improve.

Facubaci
08-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Well, I liked the map. But I have some things to say.

First, and most important, is the abruptness of the changes of color. I mean, for example, there is much difference in color between the blue sea and the background effect. The colors do not mix well (look how well it applies the antique effect throughout this map http://awesomewallpapers.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/fantasy-map-11429.jpg also colors not abruptly change ... there is harmony, do not know).

Second, the effect of antiqueness I was referring to apply it in all the map, and not on the edge only. I mean, the map must has a darker, older. It seems that the blue sea is very new, I do not know. There isn't harmony with the rest of the map, you understand? As if part of the map was old and the water has been painted later.

Third, the effect of the background (the edges) did not fulfill my expectations. Maybe you can add one more simple (like this http://www.hejorama.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/map_Narnia.jpg - or as this http://www.wimeuverman.nl/afbeeldingen/ fantasy_map_euverman.jpg) or can be torn edges but continuing the color map (like this http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/view.pl?id=75603)

Fourth, the mountains. The mountains you did in the first map are better than those. As you said you can do the mountains I linked (from the map of Schwarzkreuz) I'll wait and we'll see what results you get. If there are good, we let these ... otherwise, we can let the first that you showed me in the first map.

Fifth, (and I finish with this), the rivers. I thought they were going to see more easily, but I think we have to darken the color of water (like the examples I gave you). I like the color of the sea is like the river color ... but if these can not be distinguished ... perhaps we'll have to darken it.

That's it. Honestly, I'm not too pleased, like you. Let's see how you apply these five things I mentioned. If it goes wrong, you can do it as you would.

Thank you, I think that is a difficult job! haha
Greetings to everyone.

PD: next time, you can use a little portion of the map for try... to not complicate you so much!

ravells
08-21-2012, 03:34 AM
Marking this as taken.

Ilanthar
08-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Ok, I think I'm gonna test another background, the schwarzkreuz mountains and a few things.
I didn't used the effect I wanted to about the sea in the precedent test (just forgotten), but the background isn't appropriate anyhow.

I'm a little busy right now, but I'm gonna try to do a complete try on the same part before next monday.

Facubaci
08-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Hello.
Thank Ilanthar!
I'm excited to see the changes that you'll add to the map. I think perhaps it's easier and faster apply changes to a small portion of the map ... So, if I do not like something, we do not have to re-do everything.

What kind of trees will you use for the forests? I like yours trees, but if you want I can link some styles of trees for the forest.
I'm glad you can use Schwarzkreuz's mountains.

I'll wait untill monday :), I'm not in a hurry.

Greetings to everybody.

PS: Do you need some information about some place of the map? I have a lot of descriptions, some pictures... and I can draw everything that you need.

Ilanthar
08-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Hi Facubaci,

Now, that's better according to my taste. The mountains are a bit oversized perhaps but I wanted to obtain the same edge size as the coastal line.
The forest is a test too. I think it's correct but it's hiding the rivers too much (maybe I can fix that anyway).
So tell me what you think !

A few questions : do you have something (or examples) in mind of what you want for the cities? Different pictures for different species?

Facubaci
08-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Hello.
It looks awsome, Ilanthar!
I like the mountains and the effect you've added it to the background. I like the water color too.

There are some things that you could change (the last things to change):
-Increase resolution because, when you zoom, the pixels are deleted and are not defined.
-The coastline I wish it were not so black, that is, so highlighted. I would like a coast like the following map: http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41844&d=1328131908 (Schwarzkreuz's map).
-I don't want that the river's line crash with the coast's line. That is, the blue of the rivers will not cut it with the black of the coast, the blue continue to the sea. I hope you understand.
-Finally, if you can use other types of forests ... I find I can use some for you ... because I do not like you used, it looks like scribbles.

Nothing else. Your work is amazing, good job.
Thank you.
Greetings all.

Ilanthar
09-01-2012, 02:21 PM
OK, thanks, I'll see what I can do!

Facubaci
09-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Okay. Quiet, dude :)

Schwarzkreuz
09-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Oh its realy funny to Read people talk about me and my maps. Give me a Note if advises are needed.

Facubaci
09-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks Schwarzkreuz. I taken your mountains because they're very well done. Now, I'm searching for a tree model to make the forests.

Ilanthar, I repeat: if you want some information about whatever, you can tell me.
Greetings.

Ilanthar
09-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi,

A new test on a part. I hope the coastline is close to what you wanted. I'm afraid I won't be able to do it with a higher resolution (too hard for my soft), but believe me, it should be quite ok when printed. Prints are almost never exactly like what you got on your screen anyhow, cause it really depends on your printer.
Since you're gonna put the names by yourself, I just need indications on cities and the forests (coniferous, mixed, jungles) & swamps. How would you like it to be? I guess you may want differents looks for humans, elves, etc.?
And how do you want your roads? Dots, short lines, lines?

Facubaci
09-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Good, Ilanthar! I love it.

What a pity that you can not modify the resolution to the background has the same resolution as the mountains. Do you understand me? Well, no matter.

With regard to the cities: I would not want an "icon" to identify the cities, but rather a different point for each city (remember, it must be in "harmony" with the rest of the map. I mean, you do not put a fluorescent red dot, because on the map no such vivid colors).

I could point the forests. Soon I will paint in the original map, different forests (types of trees).
Same for the swamps, forests and other natural environments you need (maybe I forget some places ... I'll try to remember all).

As for the roads: I'd like black spots and small (remember the above, the "harmony" with the rest of the map).

I think that's it. Thank you very much, Ilanthar, you are doing a very good job.
Cheers and thanks again.

Facubaci
09-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Hi Ilanthar.
I just finished the map with the forests. If you have any questions just tell me.

http://i50.tinypic.com/68y0qh.jpg

What a fool I am, I forgot to set the color of a tree. Well, the missing tree (similar to the color purple in the north) is called Larch.

One thing I forgot also: Are you going to paint the by their geography? ie, grasslands, steppes, etc., because if you will paint all with one color, not worth the geography of the map.

Greetings and thanks!

Facubaci
09-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Hello Ilanthar.
I want to know how you're going, you may need help with something ... just tell me :)

Thank you!

Ilanthar
09-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your map, it will be helpful. I am working slower because of my work, but I didn't forget your map.
Do you want a different color for each forest? It's possible if you provide me the color you want (in rvb : see link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors).

I'm doing the mountains right now (I have to do each layer separately and in good order). I'll try to show you a result till the end of the week.

Facubaci
09-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Ilanthar... :(
What's up? I hope you haven't forgotten the map... :(

Ilanthar
09-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Don't worry, I have not forgottent! I am just working slower because I have a job to care about.

I have finished the mountains and hope u like it. I'm gonna add the forests then, and need to know if u want different colors for each kind of trees? See the wikipedia link in my previous message.

The rivers are almost done and roads/cities are pretty quick to draw, so the biomes are the last part that will take some time.

So tell me for the colors, I'll do my best to finish your map in a "not so long" delay.

Facubaci
09-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Well done, Ilanthar!
I like it so much!

I want say to you about the rivers ... I'd like more dark blue.
Forests want them to be the same color (with different shape, some) but the same color (some may be darker (ebony, oak ... in the Dark Forest ...)).
You can mark the cities with a point, and roads with small black points.

Thank you very much, Ilanthar. I think it will be awesome!

Ilanthar
10-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Hi Facubaci,

I have almost done all the forests and I think I may be able to do a final version before the end of the next week. I have a question about a forest I'm not sure about : is it a sequoia/larch forest in the top north?

Thanks for your patience...

Facubaci
10-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Yes, it is. It's a combination of sequoia and larch forest.

Thank you for your dedication, Ilanthar!
I'm waiting for that final version :D

Ilanthar
10-21-2012, 12:14 PM
OK, here it is.
Hope I have not forgotten much or made mistakes. Tell me if you want changes (not big ones if possible ;)) an I'll do my best to do it in a reasonable time.
Anyway, a pleasure to work on this map, and I have already learned new things by doing it according to your likes!

Facubaci
10-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Thank you very much, Ilanthar.
It's great. I really like it!!

The last things you could say to change are:
-The snowy or ebony trees may have characteristic colors (blue or white the snow, those of ebony, dark, etc..)
'You could put the capitals (Orgoll (brown), Strateglass (light blue), Glimghard (red), Aldor'al (green) and Galdor (dark blue)) with big points, and the villages with smaller dots.
-Missing bridges, you can draw them.
-Names. Can you give me the font for put myself, or I can give you the names and put them yourself (I mean you give me the source for that, when I invented a new name, I can put it), but if you put them perhaps be neater.

Here attached the capitals, the points must be the same size. You can put the villages with smaller dots.
http://i47.tinypic.com/k21bfq.jpg

Nothing more, I think that's all.
Thank you, Ilanthar. It was hard work but satisfying :)

(Remember the names).
Greetings and thanks!

Ilanthar
10-25-2012, 04:28 AM
Ok, tell me if you're happy with those changes.

For the names, I got a lot of fonts but don't always remember where I got it. I can suggests the fonts below in quite different styles... Tell me what you prefer.

Facubaci
11-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Hello, Ilanthar.

Sorry for the wait, but with a friend we're designing some new things to add to the map. When the changes are ready, we show you them and we see what can do. We were thinking of new villages or things like that.
We know you can work on the map on Fridays or weekends, so let's try that changes are ready for those days.

Thank you very much, Ilanthar, and sorry again for the wait!
Greetings.

Ilanthar
11-08-2012, 08:53 AM
You don't have to apologize!

To tell the truth, I was just wondering if you were satsified with the result. If it's minor changes or adds, I'll do it with pleasure.
You investigated well! ;-) I'm generally working during the week and the weekends are my mapping moments!

So, wish you a good brainstorming!

Mullenkamp
11-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Hello Facubaci and Ilanthar. Good work on Rovendor map.

I have a request from you, but first some explanation.

I'm making an fantasy strategy - war board game "Terra nullius" to play with friends. Game will be only for non-commercial, but I don't
exclude publishing it in future- if game appears to be good (in that case we will talk about acquiring copyrights or I will make completely different map).

Shape, proportions, even city locations of yours map fit perfectly my view on mechanics for "Terra nullius". Game will be played on
strategy map divided for provinces where armies will be build, and politics made . Battles will be played outside the map with special
token-card mechanics.
That's why I want to ask both of you for permission to use this map in my game, for personal use..

Facubaci - If you wish for I can make that part of story line for "Terra incognita" will be link up with Rovendor (for example -geographical and cities names some history links).
Ilanthar - to link this map with my game mechanics it will need minor changes (province divide, little more forests and swamps, icons and
names of cities, fortress). I respect others people time, so I'm happy to pay for your time.

Waiting for reply. mullenkamp@wp.pl
Thank you very much

jbgibson
12-13-2012, 02:27 AM
Ilanthar, the map is beautiful, but you have some rivers doing very not-river-like things. Water can only flow downhill. I know you know that, but in some places you have it doing otherwise. Over long distances rivers will only join on their way from high to low. Over short distances -say a modest island or a river delta - you can see branching, but that is only where both paths are essentially the same level. They will definitely not split over huge distances - one route would be lower and would immediately capture all the flow.

Another thing that comes from the always-downhill rule is that no river can stretch from ocean to ocean. Think about a person paddling upstream from each end - where in the middle would each cross and change to going downstream? The river water can't change direction. And if you are thinking of "downhill both ways from a high ridge top source" that won't work either -- lakes will only have one outlet, though they can have multiple inlets.

Too, not all river sources need to start from high mountains. Certainly the places you show are okay for streams to spring up, but any higher ground, even hills or plateaus might be where water starts downhill .

It might be useful to look at the How To Get Your Rivers In The Right Place tutorial -- lots of good info on staying believable.

Facubaci, if some of those unlikely interconnections are needed for your story, maybe certain connections could be drawn as canals? Those CAN do unnatural things like split off from rivers in a downhill direction, or connect the headwaters of rivers in two different watersheds.

Ilanthar
12-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the compliment jbgibson.
A you pointed out, I am well aware of the unrealistic flows of some of the rivers. But to be frank, I just sticked to Facubaci's drawing.
I can't speak for him, but I think that a "fantasy" world is not necessary realistic. Personnally, I like a lot a comic book with a big river cutting the continent, flowing each side from it's center and suddenly boiling and carrying stones on day each year (a non predictible day).
For me, the most important is coherence. On world has to follow its own set of rules, even if it's fantasy rules defined only by magic.

Facubaci may tell you more.
Thank for you kind concern !