PDA

View Full Version : July / August 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Wanenjo

Thurlor
08-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Well, here's what I have so far.

Still alot of work to go obviously.

Seraphine_Harmonium
08-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Oh nice, going for one of the small islands. Looking forward to seeing how this shapes up!

Tigon
08-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Love the names! :D

Thurlor
08-07-2012, 08:16 AM
@ Tigon

I was hoping someone would notice the names with this map.

Thurlor
08-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Well here's an update. I've sort of been a bit slack lately as I wasn't looking forward to doing the contours (but they're done now).

### Latest WIP ###

I've been forced to upload the image as a jpg as the png file is too large. Ah well.

There is still an awful lot to be done;

Rivers & Lakes
Locations
Roads
Vegetation Types
Contour Labels (I'm really not looking forward to this)
Numerous Spot Heights
Relief shading - if I can make it work with the limited palette

When I'm done with all of that I'll probably find something else to fiddle with.

Do I need a compass considering the detailed grid I have?

Tigon
08-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Tremendous effort fella! Even "just" this is pretty spectacular IMHO.

I doubt a compass is needed given you've got the grid, which orientates things nicely, as well as placing the map in terms of long & lat.

atpollard
08-10-2012, 09:48 AM
How on earth did you create those contours?
They look as accurate and realistic as any USGS map that I've ever seen ... and I study contours for a living [Civil Engineer-Stormwater].
Rep for the contours alone!

Thurlor
08-10-2012, 10:17 AM
@ atpollard

Thanks. I was under the impression the contours weren't very good. They seem somewhat 'wonky' to me. Either way, they too so long to do. The process is as follows;

Create hieghtfield in Wilbur.
Select from height range for every 25 m.
Save each selection
Trace each image in Inkscape.

I have a folder with 89 x 95.3 MB btimaps to cover the range of 0 -> 1641 metres.

Any suggestions on a quick way to label every forth contour?

Bogie
08-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Sounds like a lot of work! Well done.

atpollard
08-10-2012, 11:11 AM
In my experience, real contours are 'wonky'. ;)
Nature just doesn't seem to understand that all countours should be simple shapes in uniform concentric circles ... it keeps making all of these tiny hills and depressions and variable slopes that mess thing up!

Thurlor
08-10-2012, 11:23 AM
lol

I thought my terrain was 'messed up'.

And by 'wonky' I was specifically referring to the fact that there are a few places where higher contours slightly overlap lower contours (due to the bitmap tracing feature of Inkscape giving different results each time).

atpollard
08-10-2012, 02:17 PM

Nothing comes to mind except the observation that with over 1600 meters of change in elevation, labeling every 100 meters on the flat parts (like near the coast) and every 500 meters on the mountain should be adequate. Just tag a few 'peaks' that might fall between the 500 meter contours - since that might be important data for a map.

Chashio
08-10-2012, 07:41 PM

I don't know as it's quick, but maybe creating paths from each of the contour lines you want to label and stroking them with the type tool (a lot of copy/paste would help speed that part up).

This is shaping up beautifully! =)

Also, is there a very easy, quick way you could create a lower res image of this in 3d, from an angle? I'm really curious to see what it looks like in 'reality'. I don't know if the programs you use can do that or not, though.

LindaJeanne
08-10-2012, 09:46 PM
The contours -- wow. If Atpollard hadn't asked how on earth you'd done that, I'd've.

Thurlor
08-10-2012, 11:47 PM
@ Chashio

Do you mean a 3D view of the terrain? That's so easy to render out I'll do it now.

The vertical range isn't quite right (too much vertical exaggeration) but this gives a general idea of what the island looks like.
The ugly shore-line is due to me never intending to render this and thus I didn't create it properly.

I really love working with Cinema 4D. Making this mock-up took a whole of 5 mins. I'm pretty sure Blender would allow scenes like this to be easily setup as well.

I've been looking into using sculptris to model some 3D terrain.

Chashio
08-10-2012, 11:56 PM
=D That's exactly what I meant! Thank you!

Thurlor
08-11-2012, 03:11 AM
Here's another small update.
I've added;
* Spot Heights - I think they're all done.
* Relief Shading - This was a bit difficult due to the limited colour palette but eventually I figured it out.
* River & Lake test.

### Latest WIP ###

Thurlor
08-13-2012, 07:49 AM
Here's the latest update;

### Latest WIP ###

* Added some more spot heights (there's still some more to go).
* Started laying in rivers and lakes which takes a long time.
* Added labels to the contours representing 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m, 500m and 1000m. At higher altitudes it becomes too crowded to add them all.

I keep 'discovering' new things to add or change so this is taking longer than it probably should. Also, because I'm learning as I go along I find myself staring at nothing thinking of various techniques.

After looking at some real maps I've decided to also add a 'Provincial Boundaries' panel and a 'Historical Notes' panel. I really like creating the back story, even for a silly world like this. Actually if I were to change some of the names I could probably make this into a decent campaign thingy.

Any comment and criticism welcome (if that's not against the challenge rules). I could really use another's perspective as I've been staring at this thing for so long now.

vorropohaiah
08-13-2012, 08:30 AM
@ atpollard

Thanks. I was under the impression the contours weren't very good. They seem somewhat 'wonky' to me. Either way, they too so long to do. The process is as follows;

Create hieghtfield in Wilbur.
Select from height range for every 25 m.
Save each selection
Trace each image in Inkscape.

excuse any ignorance on my part, as ive never used wilbur before, though couldnt you save each selection as a bmp and open them all separate layers on a single image in photoshop and then select each layer and stroke it? seems a lot easier than manually tracing each one...

anyway, this map has really got me itching to try out wilbur as those contours are lovely. not just those but the map itself. great work on this one!

Thurlor
08-13-2012, 09:55 AM
@ vorropohaiah

That is pretty much what I did. Each selection was saved as a bmp from within wilbur (I'd love it if wilbur exported vector viles).

The only graphics software I have is Inkscape and GIMP. Inkscape allows tracing of bitmaps but it would die a horrible death if I tried to load 89x95MB bitmaps into it in one go. In fact just making this map slows it down so much that I have had to find work arounds.

Chashio
08-13-2012, 11:02 AM
I like the history notes! Edits: "Turee Silk and (its) (products) are the greatest export of Wanenjo." Also, the single, working Travel Arch... is that a one-way trip kinda thing, since it's the only operational one? Great story starter, that. 'I dare you to step through it!' ;)

The whole map keeps looking better and better! =)

Thurlor
08-13-2012, 11:51 AM
@ Chashio

Thanks for pointing out that error. I find myself quite unwilling to make the exception for it's. Ownership is ownership. lol
The notes will probably go through an edit if I get time. Some of the sentence structure is a bit questionable.

In regards to the single, working Travel Arch;
* One way trip from it to any intact Travel Arch that is not in day-light (no particular reason for this, it just seemed like a good twist).
* It is believed that all of the arches were once capable of 'opening' a connection as the Wanenjan Arch is not remarkable compared to the others (excepting that it works).
* The use of this last Travel Arch is what allows the Wanenjan State Troopers to play the role of 'king maker' back on the mainland. Obviously there must be some reason why the mainlanders haven't destroyed the remaining Travel Arches.

Chashio
08-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for pointing out that error. I find myself quite unwilling to make the exception for it's. Ownership is ownership. lol

haha =) I agree.

Thurlor
08-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Well, here is my final update. It's still not finished but it will have to do. There is no way I can finish it in the time left.

I managed to include;
* Capital City.
* Provincial Seats.
* Some cities.
* Placed Travel Arch markers.
* ONE Plantation/Orchard that I'm not happy with.
* Very rough Imperial Highway following the coastline.
* I finished the rivers & lakes for the southern half of the island.

* Increased resolution to 7500x7500 as the original 5000x5000 wasn't enough to show the details clearly.

### Latest WIP ###

I really need to work on finishing my maps.
Good luck to the rest of the challengers.

Tigon
08-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Well, I reckon I know who's getting my vote then...

ravells
08-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Heee hee, I love that 'I'm not worthy' smiley!

Chashio
08-15-2012, 01:42 PM
I really hope that you finish this at some point. It's quite incredible. =)