PDA

View Full Version : Sacrament Gulf

Diamond
08-08-2012, 01:41 AM
It's been forever since I've had time to work on a map. I doodled this little one on a Post-It Note at lunch today; hope to turn it into something interesting-looking. This is a post-apocalyptic California after a sea-level rise and massive flooding of the central valley. You've got lots of little city-states on the peninsulas, rustic principalities in the mountains, and a large empire in the interior (actually just its far western frontier; the heartland is farther east).

Chashio
08-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Sweetness! Gotta love post-it note maps. ;) We should make it a challenge. You can use as many sheets as you want, in any color. haha

Materials aside, very cool map. =) Nice rendition of a post-apocalyptic California.

Diamond
08-09-2012, 04:04 AM
LOL, can you imagine your friends and loved ones peeking into your room and seeing thousands of post-its plastered everywhere? They'd think you were insane. Oh, wait... :D

Here's a couple of different starts on this, not sure which one I like better:

vorropohaiah
08-09-2012, 04:41 AM
The one on the right has more 'character' though both are nice. are they still post-it note size or have they been scaled up? nice stuff :)

Chashio
08-09-2012, 11:30 AM
:D
The right one seems just a little more balanced to me.

Diamond
08-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Yep, I like the one on the right too. And they have been scaled up. :)

ravells
08-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Let the salivation commence! Good to see you back in the saddle, Diamond!

Diamond
08-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Gee golly gosh, thanks Ravs! :D

Here's an update:

arsheesh
08-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Ooh, this is looking quite nice so far Diamond. I agree with Ravs, good to see you back in action.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
08-12-2012, 01:31 AM
New and improved, with mountain brushes by Quabbe.

ravells
08-12-2012, 05:47 AM
Really nice choice of font (what is it?). Not sure I'm in love with RobA's cross hatching pattern on the coastline (although it looks great in the thumb)...I wonder whether using noise in which the dots get sparser (rather than fainter) as you go inland might be worth a try?

Diamond
08-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Did Rob do that pattern? I never could remember where I got it from... The font is called 'Mirkwood Chronicle'; one of my favorites. I did try a stipple effect on the coasts and wasn't too taken with it. Maybe I'll try some variants of it and post 'em up here for your perusal.

Schwarzkreuz
08-20-2012, 03:05 PM
I like the clearness of your Work D. Its always to the point, and without unnessesary elements to overload the maps.

vorropohaiah
08-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Nice mountain brushes! I love the overall effect of the map

ravells
08-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Did Rob do that pattern? I never could remember where I got it from... The font is called 'Mirkwood Chronicle'; one of my favorites. I did try a stipple effect on the coasts and wasn't too taken with it. Maybe I'll try some variants of it and post 'em up here for your perusal.

If not that one, one very much like it! I'm just wondering - if a stipple doesn't really work either what other options there are.

Diamond
08-21-2012, 03:39 PM
I did a revised version that's more geographically accurate; I'll post it when I get home from work tonight. Did a stipple pattern on the interior coastlines which, combined with a triple white coastal outline, looks pretty good.

Diamond
08-25-2012, 01:15 AM
A few days later than advertised, but here's an updated, more geographically accurate version. Again, thanks to Quabbe for the awesome mountain brushes.

Thoughts on the coasts, both the interior stipple and exterior rings?

Lyandra
12-02-2012, 07:46 AM
The coasts look very good to me, nice change. It's a great map Diamond. :)

Diamond
12-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks! :D

gbsilverio
12-02-2012, 11:27 PM
This really really beautiful, Diamond! It's a good thing I actually restarted my map, all this awesome stuff I've seen is really serving as inspiration!

Keep up the great work!