PDA

View Full Version : August 2012 Entry: Wasteland Stronghold

Pryme8
08-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Here is what I got so far, I figured because I have some time to work on this now, and I will be moving which will give me time without the internet which will give me ample time to work on this, and the side things I have planned for it.

BASE IMAGE

normally I don't use a base image but I thought it would inspire me.

First Water Layer

### LATEST WIP ###
First Flat Areas

I plan on drawing over the whole thing... then doing side profiles of the Stronghold, and then doing a complete floor plan which will include several floors and some underground structures.

Chashio
08-09-2012, 08:18 PM
(Huh. I see faces in the base image.) It's looking nice so far!

I plan on drawing over the whole thing... then doing side profiles of the Stronghold, and then doing a complete floor plan which will include several floors and some underground structures.

That's ambitious. Good luck. =)

Pryme8
08-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Update...

Moving to do some more land molding and then im gonna look at adding basic structure sketches and decide where I want everything wand what everything is... then ill start decorating... and blah yea got lots to go stay tuned...

### LATEST WIP ###

Pryme8
08-10-2012, 11:52 PM
more land definition... im gonna start working on some ravines now, and then define the caves a little better.... then I will place a little grass in with some small shrubs and then get to architecture built into the landscape before I start working on actual buildings...

### LATEST WIP ###

Pryme8
08-11-2012, 03:01 AM
tying to figure out the style for the roofing sections, and build some more definition into the map...

### LATEST WIP ###

how will I attach the final product when I am done? It will be huge in filesize...

Chashio
08-11-2012, 10:49 AM
I think there's a 5 MB file size limit for direct uploading. If you really want to show a larger version, you could upload it elsewhere and link back. Though unless you have very minute details then it probably wouldn't hurt to lower the resolution just a bit. It's looking good. Is that a copper roof? =)

Pryme8
08-11-2012, 01:24 PM
yea its a new technique I figured out to do roofs! I may write a tutorial right now for how to do it!

Pryme8
08-11-2012, 03:27 PM
### LATEST WIP ###

And i wrote a tutorial on how to do those rooftops

each section on the side represents about 20 feet... so the map is about a quarter mile

anomiecoalition
08-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Really like the idea of connecting the complex with a series of mountain tunnels. Can't wait to see how this ends up.

Pryme8
08-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Stopping point for the night...
### LATEST WIP ###

vorropohaiah
08-12-2012, 02:55 AM
looking good, though i actually prefer the version with the valley/bay rather than the dividing mountain.

Pryme8
08-12-2012, 10:03 AM
I thought about it, and due to scale and the way that I want the underground system, If i was to keep that a ravine, when I go to do the underground part I would of had to make then drop down uber far to make it realistically transverse the gap. I was thinking about a bridge, when I wanted to do the water, but then I realized caves and mountains seems so much more aesthetically jail like.

Pryme8
08-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Im going to finish putting all the buildings in place and then work all the structures up, then I will go back to building the terrain... then details

Juce734
08-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Looking good so far. Keep up the good work!

Pryme8
08-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Ok, here is what I did tonight while I was in the hotel before going to bed... long day not much...
### LATEST WIP ###

and now Im sad... because I was in a rush to get off, and get this posted before bed, on exiting the file after resizing it for preview... I saved with no way now to revert... Im a dumb ass... and very ****ed because all the hard work of having the file at 5000 by 5000 pxls for extreme detail is now lost, the image is now 2000 by 2000 more then half which really really sucks... maybe due to the new size I will be able to work faster... but man what a blower. and all my brush presets are useless now.

Meanwile underground:

the very left if the entrance floor, middle is first sublevel, right is last sublevel.

Diamond
08-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Gahhh. I feel your pain, man. Still, it looks really great. Nice color palette, and the tunnel shadows are very convincing.

Pryme8
08-26-2012, 02:30 AM
due to the re size of the image and the loss of motivation due to loss of work, I wrapped this up as quick as possible I do not like it because I feel its no where near where I wanted but I have ran out of time to work on it and need to get back to paying jobs.. Sucks because I had big plans for this map... now ill leave all the gaps in design and labeling to your imagination...

sorry for not coming though this time.

### LATEST WIP ###

lostatsea
08-26-2012, 10:26 PM
That's too bad it is coming along so well. May be you will finish this later . I for one would like to see it when it is done !!

Fury
08-26-2012, 11:09 PM
due to the re size of the image and the loss of motivation due to loss of work, I wrapped this up as quick as possible I do not like it because I feel its no where near where I wanted but I have ran out of time to work on it and need to get back to paying jobs.. Sucks because I had big plans for this map... now ill leave all the gaps in design and labeling to your imagination...

sorry for not coming though this time.

Are you kidding? The image you lost might be larger but it's not that much more detailed than your latest WIP. Don't know what program you're using but there are effects/renders/filters that can turn a lower res image into a higher one. I use them all the time. Whether it works depends on the image and experimentation. Also, the file limit is exactly 4.7Mb. I know because I love large images too and then when it comes I can't upload it and have to downscale and due to scaling algorithms, details can be lost and particularly text can lose their sharpness. It's better to work in the scale that can fit the file limit which isn't easy to guess what the final file size would be. I love the way you carved the tunnels. Outside the challenge, you'll have all the time to work on it.

Pryme8
08-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Outside the challenge, you'll have all the time to work on it.

I will.. and a lot of the detail work I was going to do is what was lost... I did not feel like doing it anymore do to loss of motivation...

Bogie
08-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Man, I feel your pain! A couple times I was half asleep & still working on the computer and saved when I shouldn't have. But like everyone says, it is still looking very cool.