PDA

View Full Version : August / September 2012 Lite Challenge : First map, BlackWater world

gen
08-26-2012, 07:21 PM
This is my first post with a map, also my first own map, though prior I did 3 attempt, following cues of tutorials of the site.

I did not do the parchment effect myself; I downloaded them to have nice textures to start with. Later i will use my own canvas and numerise them.

The brushes, I created them; on my next post trees and mountains will show themselves :)

I want to thanks
OldGuy, for his tutorial on coastline (though I didn't use it here);
Ascension, for the atlas tutorial guide (thanks also for the french version by M. H2o);
And RPGMapMaker's, that I found on YouTube and draw me to this very site.

It is very plane, just a starter and not much to critiscism on but feel free to do so, don't be shy, I can take them ;)

gen
08-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Finally, I wasn't happy with the coastline so I used the Oldman trick.

I also submerged a part of the continent by error and I think I'm going to keep it for game purpose and also, I like the effect.

I used a copy of the land so the color piled up; one one I kept the isle and the other not.

gen
08-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Still, thoses coastlines are not ok.

LindaJeanne
08-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Love the parchment-like textures, and the colors go well together.

gen
08-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks a lot!! If you like the parchment texture, I can give you the link (found it on deviant art, artist give it for free)
...making me think, I will have to give credit to the creator on his page also! So, I took it from Bleeding-Dragon here: http://bleeding-dragon.deviantart.com/ ;)

gen
08-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Bahhh. Have to start somewhere :)

Just a draft to place things; I am thinking of creating another type of brush for the trees; I tried an aquarel style but it dosen't work very well as it can be seen on the close-up part. As for the ruins, same thing; I will have to change the aquarel style for pencil draft, precise and clean. Don't know yet how I will represent the ruins... Any ideas?

Anyway, I will do others detailed maps of villages and cities later so I guess I must keep it simple in this one.

gen
08-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Much better. I think I'm going for the hand drawing with details for cities and villages instead of symbols or dots. I thought about it a lot and this feel the good way to do it for this project...though I don't think I'll finish up for the lite challenge. :sad:
Anyhow, this is being a lot of fun! ;)

anomiecoalition
08-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Those drawings look really good. Might have to nag you about making those into brushes once your done.

gen
08-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks a lot! I did a little brush of my first village and it didn't come out well, so I did it directly on a layer on the map :)
When I'll get better at it, I will do a brush set for village and cities based on population (working on that idea), and will be happy to give them.

Posting my latest work with trees. I did this brush but have to do touch up for highlights...the brush do not superpose properly and the lighted zones are transparent...can't find a way to put it opaque. Anyone found a way?

I'm kind of happy with the result for now :P

gen
09-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Upgrade with better resolution and more details.
Even did some drop shadow.

### Latest WIP ###

Coffee's good this morning!

lostatsea
09-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Need to put (### LATEST WIP ###) in front of the pictures posted so that the thumbnail scrubber will pick it up and put it under the challenge thumbnails thread. I counted 5 thumbs and 6 entries that is the only way I knew to look for your entry. Most people don't get past the thumbs. Nice work so far. I believe that the before and after must be on one map so be sure to stitch them together before your final post. Looking forward to seeing this finished now that I found it !!

Seraphine_Harmonium
09-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Wow, that looks great!

Have some rep!

Regarding brushes, if those towns are in their own layer, you could probably just copy/paste them into a new file and save it in a brush format.

gen
09-07-2012, 12:06 PM
@ lostatsea Thank you, will put ### LATEST WIP ### before my next images for sure! But I dont understand the before and after image....do I have to post my firts image again saying "Before" and my last saying "After" at my final post? Or do I have do edit my first post with the "Before"? Sorry, langage barrier :) I still have trouble to properly understand English so I thank you in advance for your time ;)

@Seraphine_Harmonium Thank you for the comments; always nice to see one when we post new work!

Will post new work maybe tonight or tomorrow. Just came back from a trip in New York...it was great! Montreal seems very tiny now!

Wish a good day to every Cartographer's:D

anomiecoalition
09-07-2012, 03:39 PM
the before and after thing just means that they want you to combine the two maps into one single image (i.e. one .jpeg).

LindaJeanne
09-10-2012, 07:14 AM
.do I have to post my firts image again saying "Before" and my last saying "After" at my final post? Or do I have do edit my first post with the "Before"? Sorry, langage barrier :) I still have trouble to properly understand English so I thank you in advance for your time ;)

Gen,

The "before" and "after" isn't referring to your first and last versions. It means that, as @anomiecoalition says, there should be two maps in one image: One map the way things were "before" some event of your choosing, and another map showing "after" the event. (for instance, if you look at anomiecoalition's entry, the image shows the city "before" it was destroyed by angry Genies and "after" it was destroyed.

Cunning Cartographer
09-14-2012, 10:07 AM
The challenge ends on or about 15th September.

Good luck getting that second map done :o

jbgibson
09-15-2012, 11:00 PM
I hope you get something in place by tomorrow, but even if not please do keep on with this - it is looking very promising.

The Ruins label would look better completely "at sea" - the bit over land gets too mixed with your onshore details.