PDA

View Full Version : May Entry: The Old Cemetery

NeonKnight
05-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I have thought long and hard what to do, and decided....A Cemetery.

I think this would give a good spread across as many genres as possible:

RPG (Fighting the Undead)
Modern Spy (A cool place for the Maltese Falcon to be hidden)
Western (Old Man Cooper was buried with his deed, and Cattle Baron Henry needs it for the Railway Rights)
Modern Horror/Cthulu (Fight Zombies, or the Old Ones)

So, stay tooned for a map soon!

RPMiller
05-08-2008, 04:01 PM
That sounds like a sweet idea!! I love the genre generic approach. I definitely will be looking for entries that are something other than "yet another fantasy map". ;)

ravells
05-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Brilliant concept!!!! I can't wait to see it too!

NeonKnight
05-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Ok, so here's my map (so far, not sure if I want to tweek or not).

Making a map only 75 K and making it BIG (a cemetery) AND trying to put details in is...TOUGH!

So, here it is. :?

Torq
05-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Look and feel are unique and stylised. Cool map Neon. Different too. It has an almost cartoony atmosphere.

Torq

Baziron
05-14-2008, 03:40 PM
I like it. It's a tad yellow, but the overall (infra)structure can certainly be transferred to other types of graveyard (dark necropolis, f.e.)

NeonKnight
05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
I went with yellow because I wanted a sort of 'deserty' color, but I can change the color up to a more yellowy green, more a dead grass color.

waldronate
05-14-2008, 06:01 PM
If you turn off random dither on your PNG export then I imagine that your size will go down a bit. Random sequences don't compress at all. Those fuzzy edges in the shadows and path borders are probably a third or more of your total file size.

meleeguy
05-15-2008, 12:23 AM
I ran your file thru PS7 "Save for Web..." which saves you 15k, there's one lower setting and even slight blurring saves another 10k.

NeonKnight
05-15-2008, 11:13 AM
I ran your file thru PS7 "Save for Web..." which saves you 15k, there's one lower setting and even slight blurring saves another 10k.

Well Thank You.

There is some hope then I can put some more detail on and see if you would be so kind as to save with more detail for me.

Thank You.

dorpond
05-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I like the layout. Has the same feel as that cemetary in Darkshire (world of Warcraft). Man, I can just imagine the baddies wandering in there!

Midgardsormr
05-15-2008, 01:19 PM

Notice that the file type has now changed. jpeg is much better at handling the blurs and angled lines. Waldronate was spot-on in his evaluation of the blurs in png format. Also, the angled lines are costing you quite a bit.

If you elect to go the jpeg route, I recommend you throw on some texture to disguise the noise the compression adds to flat colors.

meleeguy
05-15-2008, 01:24 PM
You are welcome, and I'd be happy to do further filter runs on your entries.

meleeguy
05-15-2008, 01:38 PM
PNG-8, 8 colors

my PNG fu is especially weak, but there seems like there are a couple "odd" colors in there you might be able to do without.

RPMiller
05-15-2008, 02:24 PM
It's not bad but there is something that is distracting. Everything is top down except the grave markers. How about this:

Make the grave markers top down as well (basically just a rectangle) and then you can add "shadows" of what the grave markers really look like and add corresponding shadows to the buildings as well.

Typically I don't recommend shadows for VTs, but it might work with this one. Maybe do one without shadows and one with and see what you think.

NeonKnight
05-15-2008, 03:31 PM
A couple of different approaches to the graveyard to get away from the 'plainess' of the original. I prefer the one on the right.

*** Latest WIP ***

RPMiller
05-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Agreed. The one on the right is the nicer of the two.

dorpond
05-16-2008, 03:35 PM
I like them better now that you toned down the yellow some. For some reason I think dark when I think of graveyards. I sway more towards the darker one. (not to make it more difficult on you ;) )