PDA

View Full Version : The Old Windmill

Schley
08-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Here's an illustrated map of an old windmill that I created for Chris Perkins' D&D Adventure "Prey for Smiley Bob". I love working on isometric cutaways but wow! They take some time! I really wanted to sell the old school ink and watercolor style in this one. I think it came off pretty well. Crits welcome!

2012 Wizards of the Coast

Larb
08-31-2012, 07:42 PM
I have a real thing for windmills of all types so I love this. And these types make places that can be real great plot points or a focus of an encounter. Now this is an inefficient windmill but my favourites are vertical axis windmills which are even more inefficient =P. Following this type of windmill is one where a small wooden "cap" on the top where shaft protruded would be that could be rotated to face the wind. And following that, they designed it so the entire windmill could rotate.

And there are all kinds of windmill too. Little ones that just operate an archimedes screw to drain fenland and stuff. Others like those ones you see in the US which are simple lattice structures to help irrigate fields. They are so very useful.

Windmills are some of the best things. Huge labour saving devices too! The Romans weren't too big on them because they had slaves but they did the work of dozens and dozens of slaves.

Windmills. Cheer for them!

Cunning Cartographer
08-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Whilst I'm not as big a windmill fan as Larb, I have to say I love this one. Great work as always Schley.

lostatsea
08-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Very nicely done ! I especially love the fabric texture.

arsheesh
08-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Lovely work as per usual!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Simon33600
09-01-2012, 03:35 AM
It's reeeeeeeeallly nicely done!

Good job!

ravells
09-01-2012, 04:33 AM
I love how your work is so intricate and crisp. How much of it is hand drawn and how much digital?

Schley
09-01-2012, 02:17 PM
I love how your work is so intricate and crisp. How much of it is hand drawn and how much digital?

Thanks Ravells! My maps are actually 100% digital. I use a Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and Photoshop CS5 exclusively.

Realmwright
09-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Are you a windmill engineer or salesman? :) This is a fantastic idea. I probably never would have thought to include a windmill given that in my neck of the woods there are a total of 3 and they're wind turbines. Your spiral staircase got me thinking: what if the stairs were built around the inside of the tower with the axis running down the middle? I figure this would give mechanical access in case of needed repairs/maintenance. Perhaps it's constructed of several pieces that can be easily replaced.