PDA

View Full Version : *** AUGUST 2012 CHALLENGE VOTING: Map a Prison ***

ravells
09-01-2012, 04:25 PM
PLEASE VOTE FOR 2 ENTRIES

VIEW THUMBNAILS HERE (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular)

Well it's time to bring out your voting buttons again!

This month's challenge was to map a prison, namely:
... to map a prison of some sort. Anything built to keep its occupant contained qualifies.

As always we leave it to the voters to decide whether the entries fit the challenge criteria.

There were a lot of entries this month and more than a few from our newer members - thanks for having a go and participating!

TO THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT VOTED BEFORE, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS:

Have a look at the maps. You can find them all conveniently thumbnailed for you here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular);
please vote for 2 entries in the poll above;
please give rep to deserving entries, these guys have put in a lot of effort into making great maps for us to admire!

Best of luck to everyone!

-ravells.

Jacktannery
09-01-2012, 05:22 PM
All great entries - congratulations everyone on your prisons.

Schwarzkreuz
09-01-2012, 05:36 PM
This was sure a collection of unusually maps.

Cunning Cartographer
09-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Great job all. I actually found it quite hard to choose my two favourites as there were a couple I liked, trying to balance creativity with technique and style. As my first challenge entry I have to say I found it a blast and I'm looking forward to the next one already :)

Seraphine_Harmonium
09-02-2012, 05:07 AM
My main vote went to Bogie's Bridge of Tears Prison. Love the level of detail presented.

Rodan
09-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Watsland would have been my number my selectionsone pick, but all it needed was a discription in each of the specific diagrams on the right to finish it up. Thanks for the great entries. It was hard to pick my selections.

arsheesh
09-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Another tough call this Month. I wanted to vote for 4: Detention Centre 417 by LonewandererD, The Dark by lostatsea, Prison Planet by Sapiento and The Devil's Cauldron by Yospeck. I ended up going with Centre 417 and Prison Planet. But good job everyone.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Depassage
09-03-2012, 10:13 AM
As always, quite difficult to judge... Congrats to all for applying the challenge, I wish I could have myself...

My 2 choices:
1/ SuperMax Seven by Diamond: very detailed, neat realization, ready to use, and I like the simple and efficient style
2/ The Dark by lostatsea: clear and ready to use sci-fi style

My would be choices / special mentions:
Detention Centre 417 by LonewandererD: nice details (escapees and others), but lack of readibility inside the camp itself.
The Devil's Cauldron by Yospeck: nice style and feeling, but no map key or indications except some drown in the text, would be my first otherwise.
Brbridge of Tears Prison...There is no return. by Bogie: nice continuing of last challenge, but no map key or indications.
Sci-Fi Ancient Prison Ship by Fury: style very interesting depicting a grim sci-fi mood, but lack readibility, I spent some time on it but still don't understand the place.

Cunning Cartographer
09-03-2012, 11:07 AM
The Devil's Cauldron by Yospeck: nice style and feeling, but no map key or indications except some drown in the text, would be my first otherwise.

Thanks for the mention :) The "map" isn't supposed to be a map in the traditional sense, which is why there are no indicators because quite simply I felt it would just clog up the image and detract from the overall feel (ie. it's a page from a n ancient book as opposed to reference material). Also, it's a fairly simple map so really didn't feel there was anything that would need highlighting that couldn't be taken from the image itself, the text was fluff/lore there to support it. Whilst I could have thrown a compass rose, scale meter and notes onto it, I think it would have just looked like a standard "Tabletop Iso Map", which isn't what I was aiming for at all.

Tigon
09-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Tough choice this month. Eventually plumped for Ttaliel but only just. Congrats all round for all submitters.

lostatsea
09-05-2012, 04:45 PM
WOW What a Horse race this has become !! So many place changes and fall behinds then rallies. Now it is down to the back stretch !!!The winner by a nose is ?????

ravells
09-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Yospeck at a photo finish! Congrats, Yospeck, your medal is on the way! Congrats to everyone else who took part too!

Greenlizard0.
09-05-2012, 05:09 PM
My first choice was yospec's The Devils Cauldron (congratulations you have won) because I like the booklike style and the drawing (and climbing part of the story).

It was much harder to select a second map for a vote, because I like the Bridge of Tears, Supermax Seven, Detention Centre, Prison Planet, Wasteland Stronghold, the Prison Ship and the The Dark. However in a few elimination rounds The Dark prevailed. I liked the scematic design and the overal composition.

Cunning Cartographer
09-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Yay me! I've sent out PMs but once again thanks to everyone who voted for my submission, really enjoyed getting involved in the challenge (my first, but it'll be far from my last!) and I'd be lying if I didn't say I checked in on the polls quite regularly to see where I was at and it was indeed close the entire time (too close for comfort!). Good job to everyone who got involved.

arsheesh
09-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Congrats Yospeck!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Bogie
09-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Congrats Yospeck, well done.

Schwarzkreuz
09-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Congrats, a nice ead on head race!

Datoria
09-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Guess it's too late to vote, I was paralyzed with indecision :) Great bunch though.

Diamond
09-08-2012, 02:42 AM
Well done Yo and richly deserved!

Depassage
09-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Congrats to Yospeck and all other participants!

macziggy
09-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Hi,

I'm probably going to get all sorts of flak for this but.... Isn't a SIDE ON MAP a 2D map? Perhaps my interpretation is wrong, but I thought from the way the challenge was worded that the map had to be a 2D one... A 3D map isn't really a side on map is it, it had three dimensions and the map that one the challenge was also drawn at an angle slightly above the prison. I don't mean to take anything away from the winner, it was a good map and well made, it was voted on and won, so fair play. It's just if I had entered this challenge and drawn a 2D map and a 3D map that had been drawn from an angle slightly above the prison, I personally would have been a little annoyed. So in the future could the challenge be a little more descriptive in terms of which maps are and are not acceptable?

Been on here a few months and have been eagerly awaiting the July challenge, only to see the winner's post on the home page in September! Now I finally realise it's on the forum... Doh! Stupid moi! Won't be taking part in September's challenge as it doesn't float my boat, but am keen on seeing what the next challenge will be :) Well done to all who bother to to take part, this is a very creative and inspiring website for creative and inspiring people - WELL DONE!

Depassage
09-09-2012, 06:10 AM
macziggy, misunderstanding comes from the fact that you're reading this month's challenge (make a side-on map), and that the vote was for previous challenge (map a prison).

macziggy
09-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Ah well that makes sense... many apologies.