PDA

View Full Version : Gimp and two colored grid

neofax
09-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Is there a way to have a grid at 50px square be red and a grid at 10px square be black? The reason is I am using RobA's Dungeon Making Script to create some dungeons for a campaign I will be running and the first one I made was a pain as I was trying to get the 10px wide walls to line up correctly to the 50px grid and changing grid every other step.

Jacktannery
09-02-2012, 05:32 PM
I don't really understand this question, but I am familiar with GIMP. You know there are two separate grid tools in GIMP - I think you are I think referring to the grid in the view menu to align things and which does not show up in the finished drawing, not the RENDER-PATTERN-GRID tool ; but in this case why does the colour matter?

neofax
09-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Yes, I am referring to the View-->Grid menu. The color matters as I need the walls to lie on a 50px grid but have a 20px width. So when I import the jpg into MapTool the grid will align perfectly and when I apply VBL I will still see some of the wall. That is why I want the 10pc grid black and the 50px grid red to make it visually easier to see where to draw the rectangle select tool and fill with black.

Jacktannery
09-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Well I'm afraid I still don't understand - sorry, perhaps someone better can assist you. The only thing I can suggest is to use the render grid tool (filters>render>pattern>grid) to draw a 10 pixel by ten pixel grid on your drawing, then use it again to draw a 50x50 red grid over it, so you will have this. I'm sure that's not what you wanted though.

neofax
09-03-2012, 09:28 AM
That is exactly what I wanted. Now, if I apply those to my picture can I remove them later?

Jacktannery
09-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Yes, however it depends. If you apply those to your picture in gimp on one or two new layers, and save the image as a jpg or png (which compresses all the layers into one layer) then you won't be able to undo; you have to save it in gimp format (xcf) which won't work with Maptool.

You could save 2 versions of your map - one withe the grid and one without. Import gridded version into maptool; adjust the maptool grid to fit and add your vision-blocking layers, then import the clean map, align over the gridded one, and delete the gridded one; Voila!

neofax
09-03-2012, 03:55 PM
I did it a little differently. I made the two grids on different layers to use a guide in GIMP. Then when I went to save I turned off visibility of these layers. Thanks for the help as it works great for my needs. Although, I figured out I don't need to draw the walls using the rectangle select and then fill. I now just draw lines with the line tool using a 20px wide brush. This works well as I can snap to the grid line but the "wall" bleeds over the grid line which allows the players to see the "wall" after I lay down my VBL.