PDA

View Full Version : Two handdrawn maps: Welg and Gondor

Eochaid
09-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi everyone!
After a long time without mapping, two new maps...

I'm trying my hand to nib pen drawing. I made two maps in two different styles, the first one is a part of my fantasy world, Omyar, the second is a map of Gondor, inspired by the one found in the very nice "Atlas of Middle Earth" of Karen Wynn Fonstad. It's mainly a mean of practicing and trying new styles... so comments are welcome (and requested)!

ravells
09-09-2012, 04:48 PM
These are both really beautiful! Great work and really nice expression in the lines. This is exactly the sort of thing that is very hard to do on a computer!

LindaJeanne
09-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Very nice!

Galendae
09-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Karen Wynn Fonstad lives?!

Somewhere she is smiling at your mimicry. Well done. I love the font too!

Question for the River Police: The Entwade River as it approaches it's confluence with the Anduin River splits into several other rivers, is this possible? Or did Tolkien make a Physical Geographical impossibility? I was always curious about this and wondering if the River Police could weigh in on it.

Schwarzkreuz
09-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Very nice lines. I like how you interpret the original styles into your own maps. Its interesting to see how people adapt things.

arsheesh
09-09-2012, 07:49 PM
These look very nice indeed.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Eochaid
09-10-2012, 04:14 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words...

Galendae: regarding to the confluence Entwade/Anduin, my guess is that it is some sort of marshy confluence, like a delta but into the Anduin. Anduin is sure large enough, and the land at that location very flat, so I don't think it is completely impossible. The scale seems a bit too much though. I guess a little marsh-texture like in the Nindalf would be good to add.

metal
09-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Very nice, hand drawn is right up my alley.
The font looks great.

Feadel
09-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Karen Wynn Fonstad lives?!

Somewhere she is smiling at your mimicry. Well done. I love the font too!

Question for the River Police: The Entwade River as it approaches it's confluence with the Anduin River splits into several other rivers, is this possible? Or did Tolkien make a Physical Geographical impossibility? I was always curious about this and wondering if the River Police could weigh in on it.
Yes it is possible. It's more common at coastal borders, but not impossible. The scale here is larger than any I've seen in reality, but then I haven't been in areas with real rivers except to pass through.

scott
09-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Nice work! Those are beautiful maps.

I never took the scale of the Entwade/Anduin confluence too literally. And I agree that it's probably meant to be more of a marshy confluence than a series of established channels. Maybe even an Alaskan-style braided river?

Lukc
09-28-2012, 02:44 AM
Two beautiful maps! Well done!

Reminds me to go the art store and get more nibs, lol :)