PDA

View Full Version : Das Qala

Carbus
09-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Hi guys, so I never did these kind of stuff before, Ive started this cartography thing 2 months ago and never thought I would love making it. I consider my drawing skills between ok and bad, but I decided to try and do something in these month challenge.

It was born from some initial lines, the idea of a castle carved in to a mountains ( its a cliche, but hey its my first try!). Im making Das Qala based on Minas Tirith, The Eyrie (from GOT) andother castles that are mountain based (I might say I stole a bit the idea from the Throat of the World from Skyrim). To reach Das Qala one must walk the Red Stairs, and then reach the village of Das Kand, from there walk the Das Qala mountains road, a tricky and narrow one, making it impossible for a large contingent to walk it without casualties.
I know the story is still a bit shallow, but if everything goes well, i will try and do something more interesting.
Critics are welcome! ;)

anomiecoalition
09-10-2012, 09:06 PM
I really like it (...and if your drawing skills are "between OK and Bad" then we need to seriously revise the scale to make room for my abominations - hence the reason I use CC3 and occasionally photoshop). I'm not sure if it would kill the aesthetic, but i'd be interested to see how it'd look with a little more subtle shading and/or color.

Carbus
09-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I really like it (...and if your drawing skills are "between OK and Bad" then we need to seriously revise the scale to make room for my abominations - hence the reason I use CC3 and occasionally photoshop). I'm not sure if it would kill the aesthetic, but i'd be interested to see how it'd look with a little more subtle shading and/or color.

hahaha I forgot to mention that its only a skecth, the shading is coming after I finish the main lines! :D
Thanks for the reply!

Schwarzkreuz
09-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Yes this looks interesting so far, i like the idea of outposts on mountains in generally. Its like a Small Universe in itself, consisting of a path and the steps of a small Journey. What truely would make this good would Be some nice ideas about the Arcitecture and culture of the place. Did several cultures Build on Top of each others? Did ancient kingdoms used this place As well? What are the benefits of doing such a desolated place? Why the efford, what is the fortress looking over? Are there traderoutes?

After the other dragonthemed City I now too decided to take part in this challenge. May the Best win.

Carbus
09-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Yes this looks interesting so far, i like the idea of outposts on mountains in generally. Its like a Small Universe in itself, consisting of a path and the steps of a small Journey. What truely would make this good would Be some nice ideas about the Arcitecture and culture of the place. Did several cultures Build on Top of each others? Did ancient kingdoms used this place As well? What are the benefits of doing such a desolated place? Why the efford, what is the fortress looking over? Are there traderoutes?

After the other dragonthemed City I now too decided to take part in this challenge. May the Best win.

Oh crap, now that you are in I have no chance of winning :D

Jokes apart, thanks for the tips Schwarzkreuz, it really is a important step to overlook the history of the place! I shall commence this now.

Bogie
09-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Great start! Don't forget to add the ### LATEST WIP ### above your art so it shows up in the Thumbnail grabber.

Schwarzkreuz
09-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Sometimes don't remember who i said what advice, so i am sorry if i repeat myself.
Have you looked into the free textures on CGTextures for your Map?

Carbus
09-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Great start! Don't forget to add the ### LATEST WIP ### above your art so it shows up in the Thumbnail grabber.

Sorry to ask but how I do that? :?:

Schwarzkreuz
At the moment Im still doing the drawing and thinking about the architecture, I was thinking in keeping the aesthetic of this map like these, with lines and maybe some shading. To tell the truth I dont even know how I could apply a texture to look like a drawing and not a real thing. Did you mean that?
Sorry If misunderstood what you said.

Schwarzkreuz
09-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Yes more or less, it was just a suggestion.

Bogie
09-11-2012, 05:20 PM
It goes right above your map just like I did in a previous challenge.

Example:

Carbus
09-11-2012, 05:58 PM
It goes right above your map just like I did in a previous challenge.

Example:

Oh thank you! :D

Carbus
09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
After 2 days made some adjustments and started to draw the main lines of the buildings. I choose an Islamic and Byzantine architecture, seen that its an arid location, and it fits well. :) Adjusted the saturation of the yellow to give an old-parchment feeling to it. And in some parts added a few peasants, just to give the drawing a more natural feeling, and since I suck at drawing people and stuff, they are all silhouettes. Hope you guys like.

### LATEST WIP ###

Larb
09-12-2012, 05:45 PM
This is already looking very nice, I can't wait to see the final result.

ravells
09-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Wow! I really like this! The buildings look fantastic.

Chashio
09-12-2012, 06:35 PM
That is... extremely cool!

arsheesh
09-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Ooh, I'm quite digging this already!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Cunning Cartographer
09-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Really pretty *thumbs up*

Carbus
09-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Getting really excited with this. Added more variations for buildings, changed the font and the colors, removed the ugly mountain eye haha and started to give some details to the lower mountains, just to test how they should be. Hope you guys like.

### LATEST WIP ###

Schwarzkreuz
09-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Oh its lovely, I realy like your buildings! can you show by time, how you do them? I struggle myself to do so straight forms. And well, looks like its a hard competition for me too!

Carbus
09-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Oh its lovely, I realy like your buildings! can you show by time, how you do them? I struggle myself to do so straight forms. And well, looks like its a hard competition for me too!

Well to make them straight I hold shift and draw a line with a hard-point brush, that´s all. Other structures I use a shape and transform them, but sometimes its pixel by pixel work.

Schwarzkreuz
09-13-2012, 07:22 PM
I see. Normaly I prefer handdrawn elements and my ruler but your buildings are realy nice, esprecialy the repeating architectural forms in different contexts make it feel like a fluid culture!

lostatsea
09-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Looking very nice !! But I would hate to live there; Too damn much climbing :P Looking forward to its development. If you don't finish on time hope you finish and post it later !!

Carbus
09-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Finally finished the front mountain, now focusing in the main fortress. :)

### LATEST WIP ###

Carbus
09-19-2012, 11:07 AM
So almost finished with the Das Qala fortress, with the statue Im waiting for the opinion of you guys. I suck at drawing people, animals and other living things :P. I took a vector of a horse and tried to blend it with the rest of the scene. Also Das Qala now starts to have a history, its the main fortress of the Horse Sheikdom of Qosmaq, a nation based on an arid location, where it found in this animals the strength to rise as a major empire. The black statue represents Olumqara, the horse of Sheik Muthali, that died after a major battle against Qosmaq enemies. In his honor, Muthali after the construction of Das Qala (the story of Das Qala Im telling later), ordered the creation of this statue, in a way the symbol of their own people.

Thats it, hope you enjoy, next steps are the back mountains and sky, and then some final details.

### LATEST WIP ###

arsheesh
09-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Well given the history you've developed, the horse statue does make more sense, but really I prefer the original trio of figures. They just seem more impressive than a solitary horse.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

rdanhenry
09-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Good thing you explained it. I'd have been waiting for the rest of the world's largest chess set to be placed...

Carbus
09-23-2012, 11:11 AM
After 2 weeks I thinks Das Qala is finished. It was great for me, I really like the theme of challenge, and it was a motive for me to start drawing. About history at the moment Im still thinking about it, maybe I´ll post it later. But thats it, hope you guys enjoy and good luck to all the participants :)

### LATEST WIP ###

Mateus090985
09-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Excelent work. Congratulations sir.

anomiecoalition
09-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Love this map. Hope you get around to posting the history...i'd love to use it in the Al-Qadim campaign I'm running.

Larb
09-23-2012, 11:32 AM
That has turned out great. I bet all that work on the mountainside was tedious. =P

Carbus
09-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Valeu Mateus! Sou do Brazil também, Rio de Janeiro! :)

anomiecoalition, maybe we can talk about the history, i didn´t really worked very hard on it, maybe we can fit it into your Al-Qadim campaign!

Larb, by the end it was! But I never really draw any mountain with that much detail, so it was good, I learned something new!

anomiecoalition
09-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Don't speak Portuguese anymore unfortunately...but my parents are from Porto Alegre (they imposed an english only rule in the house once I started school).

Lukc
09-23-2012, 01:31 PM
I think it looks quite lovely and the colour scheme is great. One thing I would consider is ordering the numbers on the map, so that the eye follows them logically. As they are now, the numbers seem to follow in an unexpected order: 1, 7, 2, 5, ... (left to right, top to bottom). I know this is quite hard and can complicate things (I have problems with it too), but it's worth giving it a thought.

Bogie
09-25-2012, 01:26 AM
Excellent work, great details, very precise.

ravells
09-25-2012, 07:12 AM
That is quite something! Lovely work! The only minor question / crit I have are the large windows (if they are windows) on the cliff which is holding up the horse statue. The ones on the extreme right are 'cut off' by the cliff which looks odd (how would a window like that work in 3 dimensions?). It might be an idea to get rid of the incomplete windows and just fill it with the pattern.

Lovely work all the same!

Carbus
09-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Just a quick update, following Lukc advice, I organized the numbers in the map, they are better now, I hope!
Ravells, about the windows, they weren´t supposed to be windows, but what you say is correct, they look a bit strange :(, but I with the challenge ending I think there´s no time. I´ll try to adjust it later, but thanks for the advice!

### LATEST WIP ###