PDA

View Full Version : Hello, cartographers!

hudster
09-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm here for the same reason as a lot of other people ... Have a fantasy world (or several) that I write in, blah blah, want to make maps. Yup! I've never really made any maps before, but after following Tear's tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8086-Award-Winner-Saderan-%96-a-tutorial), I'm super excited to have another go at it and incorporate more and more! I didn't realize how inspirational it would be to put my settings down relative to one another.

This is my first attempt at a map (yucks!):

And my second attempt (phew, it improved a bit):

I look forward to learning a lot more about mapmaking (and climatology ... which apparently I'm not so good at right now ;))! So expect to see me lurking ...

Mateus090985
09-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Be welcome! Yuor maps look really good =). Keep with the work.

hudster
09-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Thank you! I am experimenting with different stylized effects now ... This is a really neat art form I didn't know existed!

Protopop
09-15-2012, 05:57 PM
I love the balance of your composition - the landmasses look solid and make sense. I find the typograohy easier to read on the first map, i guess because the second one is busier with more detail - maybe combine the two? Those forests are really inviting, and i like how the cities arent just dots but actual shaped masses, like they occupy a specific portion of the land. Very inspiring. Welcome!

hudster
09-15-2012, 08:05 PM
I love the balance of your composition - the landmasses look solid and make sense. I find the typograohy easier to read on the first map, i guess because the second one is busier with more detail - maybe combine the two? Those forests are really inviting, and i like how the cities arent just dots but actual shaped masses, like they occupy a specific portion of the land. Very inspiring. Welcome!

Thanks for the suggestions! These are kind of just concepts right now, I am trying to find my style, hehe. I wasn't really focusing on typography or anything, just fleshing bits out. But I really appreciate the feedback!

arsheesh
09-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the Guild Hudster. I've left you a comment over at your WIP page, but again, really nice work. I hope you decide to finish the Tear map as well, as it was really shaping up nicely.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh