PDA

View Full Version : September / October 2012 Lite Challenge : Ciderorchard Village: The Waystation

LindaJeanne
09-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Alright. Got an idea for this one.

I'm going outside my vector comfort zone, however, and using raster for a hand-drawn look.

So far, I've created a parchment texture and worked out my color scheme.

###Latest WIP ###

Stay tuned...

torstan
09-22-2012, 01:53 PM
That's a lovely way to start a project! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

LindaJeanne
09-22-2012, 07:19 PM

### Latest WIP ###

A rough sketch to start out with. (And also better parchment texture.)

LindaJeanne
09-23-2012, 05:38 PM
The next installment.

More here than meets the eye, as will become apparent later...

### Latest WIP ###

LindaJeanne
09-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Thought I had been done for the night before, but I've got one more version tonight. (Probably won't hear from me again until next weekend.

Feedback and critiques welcome!

### Latest WIP ###

Korash
09-23-2012, 10:38 PM
I know this is still early, but I think you need some division between the woods(?) and the stream that goes through the village. Right now it kinda looks like the bridge passes over the woods on either side of that stream...which I know isn't right....

Beyond that, you got me waiting to see if I can figure it out before you reveal the secret..

keep up the good work :)

LindaJeanne
09-27-2012, 07:00 AM
Ah, yes, I see what you mean on the bridge :).

I'll have some time Saturday to do the next installation.

Larb
09-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Given the size of the buildings, for "woods", they are a bit small, more like shrubs, unless it is stylistic and not to scale. But anyway, from that sort of perspective, the tree line is going to obscure parts of the stream and the bridge. Doing that will make it look more three dimensional.

I like your palette choices btw. They are always warm and interesting.

Korash
09-28-2012, 05:35 PM
I was thinking that the stream was in a bit of a ravine and the green was more of overgrow grass or bull rushes sort of thing

LindaJeanne
09-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys :).

Here's the next installment.

(Later this weekend, there will be more of a hint about the secret...)

### Latest WIP ###

LindaJeanne
09-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Yes, I know I just posted, but I always see things I want to touch up as soon as the image goes live.

And... uh-oh, looks like someone found the map who shouldn't... and they're starting to figure it out (and marking it up as they go)

### Latest WIP ###

jtougas
09-30-2012, 06:57 PM
This is very cool. I love a hand drawn map and the feel of it. :) The only thing I would ask is did you mean to have your roads go off the side of the map? (or is that part of the secret) :)

LindaJeanne
10-01-2012, 07:49 AM
@jtougas, thanks :). Yes, having the roads and river run off the end of the map is intentional, but something I've been second-guessing; I nearly erased the portions of the rivers and roads that run over the border of the map with my last update, but decided to wait and see. It's not really having the effect that intended.

jtougas
10-01-2012, 10:03 AM
One of the downfalls of looking at a map for too long. :) I have come to a very simple conclusion with my work (after years of second guessing and self doubt) If I like it and it does what I want (need) it to do then I'm happy with it. I really think this is very well done and I love the fact that you've included the secret in the map itself (I'm not that clever) :)

LindaJeanne
10-13-2012, 10:15 PM
OK, I think this is going to be the final one.

### Latest WIP ###

I had hoped to convey the story using made-up-written languages (i.e. making the gist clear from context & non-verbal marks), but I wasn't clever enough to make that work.