PDA

View Full Version : Map Border Resources?

Kolyana
09-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any good resources for map borders?

ravells
09-25-2012, 02:40 PM
I've never seen one (or heard the question asked before). If you go to the resources section and look at the real world map libraries sticky you can look at the borders of those maps, but that's the best I can do. We do have a couple of tutorials on drawing borders in photoshop but I'm not sure if that's what you're after.

Kolyana
09-25-2012, 03:11 PM
hmmm, tutorials and resources sections! So much goodness still to be unearthed in here. Many thanks! *scurries off*

Lukc
09-25-2012, 03:21 PM
There are some very good patterns available for photoshop, but again, this is not an optimal solution.

Schwarzkreuz
09-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Sounds like a gap in ressources. Maybe I should upload some free mapborders and some remaked Borders from old maps?
Would someone join forces to do some CC Borders for the Elements section?

Kolyana
09-25-2012, 06:51 PM
I'd chip in and help. I made my own CC3 border based off an old map, perhaps this could be a contribution?

Schwarzkreuz
09-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Well, yes. Sounds good.

I will start thinking about Borders the weekend, maybe I could Start a Thread in the Elements section to collect thosed. Well but later, i am tired its 2 am again.

ravells
09-25-2012, 07:37 PM
It will be interesting as to how the borders will be approached. If you upload an entire frame for the map then you will only be able to use a map with those proportions in it (if you stretch the frame one way or the other to fit the map the width of the border will become uneven). The only other way I can think of is to use a a repeating element for the sides and another repeating element for the corners.

Lukc
09-26-2012, 03:27 AM
I'd chip in for some borders as well. I think Ravs has the right idea - separate corner elements & side elements. The corner elements can actually be more "flourishy" and detailed, while the side has to be repeatable.

ravells
09-26-2012, 04:07 AM
Something like this? These are borders I have made in Drawplus

Lukc
09-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Yes, that would pretty much make for a great start for a borders reference!

Schwarzkreuz
09-26-2012, 06:57 PM
What is Draw plus?

ravells
09-27-2012, 01:40 AM
Drawplus is a vector / raster hybrid drawing program (mainly vector). It's made by Serif.

Lukc
09-27-2012, 05:55 AM
How does it compare with, say, Inkscape or Illustrator?

ravells
09-27-2012, 09:59 AM
It's cheaper than illustrator (but more expensive than inkscape :) ). The plus sides: Shallow learning curve, the interface works well with me. It's much faster than inkscape (IMO) and you can get some artistic results with. It has 'brushes' These are like photoshop brushes. but because they follow a vector line you can alter the path once you've drawn it by pulling nodes around. The downside to that is that it's a pretty memory/processor intensive process.

Most of my maps are drawn with Drawplus or a combo of PS and drawplus. I'd really recommend giving it or Xara Xtreme a try (Xara is a very similar product). It's got its quirks like anything and the latest version (which was coded from the ground up to allow for multi-core processing and 64bit operations - I think, not sure) is bug ridden as hell - and crashed pretty often but they have now released 2 patches which has helped the stability quite a bit although it's still not as stable as the previous version.

You can download a trial version free from their website.

Korash
09-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Could you let us know when that newer version is more "bug free"? I wouldn't mind giving it a try....

ravells
09-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Sure! I've been leaving some very surly comments on their forum about it all! It's not THAT bad, honestly. I'm using Drawplus x5 do do my latest city project (see the City WIP thread) and so far it has not crashed once - I'm very pleasantly surprised. Oh yes, it also opens GrumblingHive's City RPG SVG conversions very quickly. but whereas X4 allowed you to shift click multiple objects in a layer, X5 does not. This is not good news when there are hundreds or thousands of objects you want to copy to a new layer. I.e. separating the streets, houses trees etc onto their own layers.

Korash
09-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah. I am looking for ways to do just that (quickly). I just started a town map for the Challe4nge using GrumblingHive' Progs and came face to face with that prob....

GrumblingHive
09-28-2012, 12:25 PM
@ korash - Which vector software do you use? If you can't do it with the stuff you have, I could make a special version of RPG2SVG that only outputs buildings, or only roads for you...

Korash
09-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Right now i have Inkscape, but I am looking at all kinds of progs which I hope could do better at using my comp resources.....Inkscape keeps jamming up when It is only using about 15% of my memory or cpu....I am looking for a vector (possibly an hybrid) program that I can get for Windows 7 (64) for about the same price ;).

I do have a few questions about your prog though, Why are the roads and rivers broken up into different pieces? and do you know how to get nodes onto said roads and rivers once they are in Inkscape? I love what you have done with it, and I intend to keep using it :), but I just wondering about these things. I know I can trace/stroke paths on another layer, but I am basically a lazy person... ;)

If you want, you can always think about those options for the next release ;) Even LESS work for me :D

GrumblingHive
09-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Roads and rivers are in different pieces because that's how they come out of rpg city generator...plus, each segment has a different width value, so if it was all one piece they would all be the same width without me changing how the svg is structured somehow...

Can't remember offhand, but editing the nodes in inkscape probably needs you to "ungroup" or "break apart" in one of the menus.

You can select all the same fill/stroke colour in inkscape by selecting the object type you want so it shows in the XML Editor (edit -> XML editor I think), copy the colour value and paste it into the style box in the search box. Or something like that anyway.