PDA

View Full Version : The Paladin's Tomb

JFJohnny5
05-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Sorry there was no WIP for this. It's just a map I threw together this afternoon for my weekly game. Nothing fancy, but I like the way it came out and just wanted to share. :)

ravells
05-12-2008, 06:43 AM
I really like it! Crisp, simple and effective with an old school echo. I love the font too, what is it?

pyrandon
05-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Very old school. Takes me back's to Mom's basement. :)

JFJohnny5
05-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I love the font too, what is it?

I think it's called "Viner Hand ITC"
I'll double-check when I get home and update this post if I'm wrong.

Chgowiz
05-13-2008, 08:36 AM
I think it's called "Viner Hand ITC"
I'll double-check when I get home and update this post if I'm wrong.

It sure looks like it to me, and I downloaded that from somewhere. :) It's a nice fantasy looking font.

Nice job! I love maps like these.

Chgowiz

Fister
05-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Looks like a fun map to run players through. Very Cool.

torstan
05-13-2008, 09:38 AM
That is a lovely map. Are you using it for a VTT or is that one just for you to see?

JFJohnny5
05-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Are you using it for a VTT or is that one just for you to see?

Hmm. Both, lol.

This version with the numbers is for my reference. But as I made it in Photoshop, I'll save another version with the number layer turned off. I will then load that one into MapTool.

Now here's the crazy part. I have a MacBook Pro running Parallels. So I will load the DM side of MapTools into OSX (gotta love Java for cross-platforming). Then I connect an external display which will run WinXP in Parallels and load the MapTools client here. I will face that display to the players and enable Fog of War. So as they go through the map, I reveal portions of it to them. Then when there are encounters, we play those out on a wet-erase Chessex mat with minis.

So it's just like running MapTool with 2 PCs. Only one of those PCs is virtualized on my Mac.

delgondahntelius
05-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Thats a pretty cool idea... :) I might have to try something like that...

RPMiller
05-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Hmm. Both, lol.

This version with the numbers is for my reference. But as I made it in Photoshop, I'll save another version with the number layer turned off. I will then load that one into MapTool.

Now here's the crazy part. I have a MacBook Pro running Parallels. So I will load the DM side of MapTools into OSX (gotta love Java for cross-platforming). Then I connect an external display which will run WinXP in Parallels and load the MapTools client here. I will face that display to the players and enable Fog of War. So as they go through the map, I reveal portions of it to them. Then when there are encounters, we play those out on a wet-erase Chessex mat with minis.

So it's just like running MapTool with 2 PCs. Only one of those PCs is virtualized on my Mac.
Curious, why don't you use MapTool for the combat as well? Just asking to see if there is something that might need to be considered when they start on the next version.

JFJohnny5
05-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Curious, why don't you use MapTool for the combat as well? Just asking to see if there is something that might need to be considered when they start on the next version.

With everyone being physically in the room, we just prefer to play with the minis. Little kids at heart I guess.

torstan
05-13-2008, 07:22 PM
You know you can run two instances of maptool on the same computer? Or is it a mouse/keyboard thing?

JFJohnny5
05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
You know you can run two instances of maptool on the same computer?

<dumbstruck>

Actually, I didn't know that... I think I'll look into it. Parallels kind of eats up resources, so not having to run it would be nice.

Anything special? Or do I just start it up a second time?

torstan
05-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Just start it a second time. Set up a server with one instance as GM. In the other maptool instance join the server as player (probably best to use the direct connect option). Then one will always show the player view and you get the GM window all to yourself.

Put the player instance on the second monitor, point it at the players and you are good to go.