PDA

View Full Version : Almost finished Parchment style map, Need Guides

daeVArt
09-27-2012, 08:28 PM
After Finished My 1st map, Iíve Decided to create another map with different style, using Jezelf parchment map Tutorial, and lil bit my Imagination, Itís took at least 4 day to get this result (perhaps more since this was my 1st Map Project Actually, but changed due to confusion on tutorial before).

Well, I REALLY want to ask you, if anything from my map lookís Bad?, so maybe I can Change, or did something Missing?, so I can add some more detail. Perhaps, you think I need to remove something due to Error?. How About the labeling? Maybe i need to change the font, or resize, change position?
Your Comment, Feedback, and Critique are really Appreciated.

Thanks
-daeVArt

Klaus van der Kroft
09-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Oooh, I love it! I really like how the elements fade into the background. Reminds me of the good old PC game manual maps that I used to enjoy so much. You, good sir, get some rep right this moment.

Only two things I'd change:

-The scale seems too sharp in comparison with the rest of the map. Perhaps smudging it a bit or using a less precise font would make it look more in line with the rest.

-Some of the names in red are a bit hard to read, such as the one left of the Crystal Cavern.

Other than that, a fine piece indeed!

daeVArt
09-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Thank you so much Klaus, Ah right, I'm almost forget The Scale Bar (you mention the Scale Bar right? I'm newbie >.< ) will refine the Scalebar Right away ^^

also for the label, I'll try to change overall Region Label font, because Cartograph font was too small, and thick.. thanks for pointing out that...

Thanks alot for the Rep ^^

Sincerely
-daeVArt

Freodin
09-28-2012, 02:40 AM
Not a real point of criticism, only a pet peeve: perhaps you should change the white labels to a different colour. If you consider that a "parchment map" is usually painted / printed with ink on parchment, you might notice that it is quite difficult to get white ink / paint.

ravells
09-28-2012, 03:34 AM
This looks really good. I kind of like the white labels. I think you were using StarRaven's brushes for this map? You might want to consider rubbing out those lines which should be 'behind' an object, like a tree or mountain but are showing through. It will make the map easier on the eye and less like it has been made with brushes. I think JF Frazier made a good tutorial about how to avoid this problem when using PS brushes.

daeVArt
09-28-2012, 08:07 AM
@Freodin, Thanks alot for pointing it out, I've just change overall font size and type... I'll change the color as well (btw that was white colored label with overlay setting ^^, so it'll blend nicely with the background, but not with another overlayed layer). Thank you

@ravells, ah right, Silly me didnt notice little thing. and yes I use starraven's brush. I'll check the tutorial... Thanks alot ^^

-daeVArt

daeVArt
09-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Btw, Just Finish Refine The region Called Eiclye Isle, And more to come.

+ Organize the font type for several purpose, the land, the town, sigil, ocean. other
+ Scale a bit the Content (mountain, city, forest)
+ fix the font color, blending, size, and type

-daeVArt

Eilathen
09-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Very cool style, i like it. Now if we only had the map in a higher resolution...so as to be able to zoom in more :D

Have some Rep.!

daeVArt
09-29-2012, 05:45 PM
thanks Eilathen, the original size of the map was 2700 x 1800 with 300 ppi. My computer cant handle much more resolution, >.< too slow for me .

Chashio
10-01-2012, 11:49 PM
That's pretty cool!

One thing I see that hasn't been mentioned is the 'frozen lake' (sorry, I can't read the word above it, but that's not my point). Instead of greying/lightening the area, you might do better to just outline the lake with your ink brush. Another 'white-on-parchment' thing.

daeVArt
10-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Ah, Right, Thanks Chashio, I'll refine the main land soon ^^

Lalaithion
10-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Honestly, the font is really hard to read, as is its coloring.