PDA

View Full Version : A New Enderra

bartmoss
09-30-2012, 04:59 AM
Hi All,

this is my nth attempt at creating a map for my fantasy setting, Enderra. Previous attempts - some of which I posted, some of which I didn't - never really satisfied me.

For this map I am trying something a little different. I will still create the basic outline in Inkscape, as I always do, but then I will work on the map itself using a different program. More on that later.

While this New Enderra will naturally be based on the existing Enderra - it would be stupid of me to throw 20 years of worldbuilding completely out the window - I also decided that I will not hesitate to change any and every aspect of the setting if I feel I can make it better.

One such change I've already implemented on the first WIP: I've moved Enderra to the southern hemisphere, with the arctic regions on the south end of the continent. I thought this would be an interesting experience and give me a fresh perspective on the continent.

Finally, I've decided to start with an old supercontinent which is not the shape of things in the present.

Here's WIP#1 - the horizontal streaks are an artifact of Inkscape being crappy and buggy (I wish I could afford Adobe software).

bartmoss
09-30-2012, 09:01 AM
And here's WIP#2. As you can see, I started by filling in the ocean/coastal waters. Started with these because I figured it would be the easiest piece - I am learning a new program while I do this. That program is Corel Paint 12, which I always wanted to buy and use. I'm on a 30 day trial now. But since they dropped the price for Paint to a more reasonable level I will probably end up buying it.

I originally wanted to use their simulated water colors for the oceans but that ended up killing something in the programs setting which corrupted my image. I am now using a digital airbrush, so fairly basic stuff.

Looking at the map now, I think the SW island chain looks unnatural, and I'll probably have to move or rotate it.

eViLe_eAgLe
09-30-2012, 01:09 PM
So far, I love the landmass.

bartmoss
09-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks. I hope you won't feel too bad when I start blowing it up. ;-)

Here's the current WIP - I've started filling out the landmass. It's very rough though and needs considerable work.

arsheesh
09-30-2012, 09:41 PM
This looks really nice so far Bart. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

bartmoss
10-01-2012, 04:49 AM
Thanks, Arsheesh.

New WIP - laid out mountain ranges.

I made the mistake of just starting off on these, kind of like doodling - I had intended to do tectonics first. I still think this will work, however; there's probably a subduction zone NW of the continent where the oceanic plate pushes the continent up. And there's probably a faultline running from the south to south-southeast, roughly along the coast north of the ice. I am thinking this could be something akin to the african rift valley.

The islands that disturbed me in the SW still bother me. if the subduction zone runs that far south then I'd expect the mountains to be more Andean. So I guess this means the plate ends before then - but then I need something else further north. The area could be a mini-plate similar to the Caribean plate. Mh.

randigpanzrall
10-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Interesting Project so far. Letīs see how it develops

bartmoss
10-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks.

I keep running into little problems with Corel Painter 12. Working with layer masks is so buggy that it's basically impossible to use any masking features beyond the absolute basics. For a 300€ software - which used to cost 1k€ - I really, really expect more. Hell, Gimp can handle them better. This may prove to be a showstopper; I edited the coastlines so now I need to to create a new mask for the existing layer. I think I know how that would work, except every time I switch masks and try to edit them, Painter 12 starts dying a disk access death.

bartmoss
10-01-2012, 10:00 AM
I found a way that works, even if it's not pretty at all: Merging layers then creating a new mask of the resulting layer. I had to remove the old islands manually - not a big deal for my purposes, but I missed a small corner on the western coast. Totally avoidable had the layer masks worked properly. Overall this is a big, big big minus in the Painter 12 evaluation.

Here are my notes on tectonics:

And this is the latest WIP after I tried to apply some of those thoughts to the image:

The horizontal line is again an Inkscape bug of some sort. I honestly never thought I'd use any graphics program to an extent where I hit weird and obscure errors...

jtougas
10-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Weird lines notwithstanding This is great. I really admire you guys that figure out all the geology and the "real world" stuff. I love the clean feel this has to it.

bartmoss
10-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks jtougas :-)

Did more work.

Scale: I wanted the landmass to be a good, large continent (I even call it a "supercontinent" in my notes). It's now time to work out just exactly how large this thing is.

In the current maps I've used 1cm=200km. This means that the map covers about 12000 west to east and 8400 km in north-south. The actual continent is obviously a little smaller, since there's water around it on this map - a quick measurement shows it's about 42cm = 8400km east-west and 32cm=6400km north-south, counting from the tip of the main continent to the point where the ice begins. Since we have permanent ice there, it's also about the latitude of the antrctic circle.

Since 1° latitude equals to (roughly!) 110km on an Earth sized planet, it will be about 0.55cm on the map. So every 10° lat is 5.5cm. That means the equator is just south of the northern border of the map. The northern edge of the continent has the same latitude as Northern Peru, Indonesia or the Amazonas region. Or for a Northern comparison, the top edge of the main continent is about the southern end of Florida, the southern end is equivalent to Hudson Bay.

Here's a rough size comparison of the continent to the US and Europe (I so hope I did not mess up the scale too badly):

These are the ocean currents, again very simplified and based on what my lack of scientific training allows me to do:

Chashio
10-01-2012, 10:57 PM
That looks nice!

I tried out the Painter12 30 day trial a year ago and had similar issues with it... it does NOT handle layers well, and the real watercolors slugged my computer too much, so I didn't end up getting it. But I think I remember that the real watercolors have their own special kind of layer to work on - that may be what was messing up with that. Possibly. It'd be worth some fiddling in the program and tutorial-searching on youtube.

ManOfSteel
10-02-2012, 12:39 AM
That's very impressive. You've done a lot of work.

bartmoss
10-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Thanks guys.
Chasio, the real watercolors do work for me - or rather they did for a few minutes. Looked nice, it took them a moment to "flow" but it was really alright. But then using them broke something in my user profile that caused complete corruption of all layers, even the non-WC ones. Even in new images when I didn't use watercolors. Luckily you can easily reset the profile and I haven't had problems with corruption afterwards (I stayed as far away from the watercolors as possible). I could even live with that - The layer issues are much worse. I can't easily edit a layer mask. From what I read it should be possible but when I switch to it, Painter hangs up. It's not a RAM issue, I have 8gb and painter uses 2.5 or so. It also doesn't seem to be possible to create a layer mask from a selection (!) or to copy & paste an image into an existing layer (!!!!). It's still good software - the simulated stuff looks really cool and convincing - but it's just... very rough around the edges. If it held up to even gimp on layers it would totally be worth 300€. Right now I'm thinking 70€.

Still, I have 28 days or so left, plenty of time to finish this map and come to a conclusion. :)

Chashio
10-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah. I had only 2gb of RAM =\

bartmoss
10-02-2012, 12:48 PM
2gb is really not a lot :)

New WIP. Sort of. I did not work on this map much today, but I tried to figure out what style to do the land in. This is basically a manual smudge/blend of the preliminary colors. I think it doesn't look clean enough.