PDA

View Full Version : *** October Challenge - Gothic Horror ***

torstan
10-03-2012, 10:58 AM
The full breadth of horror lies just at the flickering edge of the candlelight. Where will it take you this month?

It's October and this month we're delving into the darker recesses of the mind as we ask you to create a gothic horror inspired map. This is a very broad brief. You can go with a grand Transylvanian edifice complete with coffins and talking suits of armour fit for a vampire count, a map of Innsmouth scrawled on paper stained with the maddened tears of it's creator, a steampunk laboratory of Dr Frankenstein or any other map that fits in the broad spectrum of gothic horror.

Entries must be created as a new thread in this forum, in the format: "October Challenge - <entry name>". Each new image in the thread should be preceded by the tag ### Latest WIP ### for the thumbnail scraper to pick it up.

The challenge will end on the 26th of October and I'll post a warning a day before. The winner will receive a (slightly bloodstained) golden compass and glorious bragging rights. Good luck to all entrants!

Gamerprinter
10-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Well I haven't participated in any challenges this year, but now it's October, and we've got a gothic horror challenge.

I've been thinking about a new series for my Kaidan, Japanese horror setting (PFRPG) called the Haiku of Horror, and this challenge seems to meet that personal challenge. The Haiku of Horror series will feature an iconic Japanese location with both labeled and unlabeled map, fully statted NPCs and monsters with varying CR and complete backgrounds and agendas. Rather than being a module or one-shot, this is a highly detailed single encounter location.

I fully realize that many might not consider Japanese horror as fitting their concepts of "gothic", so that makes it an extra challenge for me, which is fine. Kaidan, the setting has always struggled against more common thematics due to it's "Japanese-y" nature. I'm OK with that.

We'll see if I can meet those challenges.

GP

jtougas
10-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Hmm..... I may have an idea for this one.... ;) and GP that idea sounds awesome.

Bogie
10-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Dark and Dingy,,Check. Gruesome and Gory,,,Check. Corpses and Cadavers,,,Check. Mad Scientist and me,,,I'm in!

Sapiento
10-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Interesting challenge. If I have a good idea AND time enough I will enter this month.

Diamond
10-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Yep, this one I think I can do. Count me in.

ravells
10-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Great link here on the elements of the Gothic Horror Novel which might give you some inspiration for maps:

http://www.virtualsalt.com/gothic.htm

LindaJeanne
10-03-2012, 09:24 PM
The scariest thing about October is the bloody traffic. :D

(I live in downtown Salem MA. Walking home from the train every day after work gets interesting this time of year. Fascinating people-watching though.)

Sorry, I'll go now. :D

Actually, I could do a map of downtown Salem in October (especially late October) from the point of view of a local just trying to get home from work. Braving the horrors of aggressive street vendors ("no, I don't want to go on a ghost tour, I'm just trying to get home from work."), fundamentalist Christian proselytizers aggressively trying to save the souls of the floods of tourists (on one occasion last year I saw a group of a dozen walking around with a bullhorn.)

And did I mention the traffic?

Halloween/October can get pretty horrific around here. Maybe I should map that. :D

torstan
10-03-2012, 09:41 PM
:) I know the feeling. Sounds like Edinburgh during August (Fringe and Festival season). "***k off, I'm a local" t-shirts do well in Edinburgh in August. I can guess that might work in Salem too!

Larb
10-03-2012, 10:13 PM
This is a tough one in terms of concept. Definitely challenging so I hope to come up with something.

Speaking of traffic, after this evening, if I could submit a picture of a horde of evil spirits assaulting some roadworks at a major interchange at night, I would.

Guess I'm gonna have to do something a bit more mappy. =P

Nighthawk
10-05-2012, 06:09 PM
So can I submit a map that's a 3000x2000 solid black rectangle? ;)

Diamond
10-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I'd vote for it. :D

Cisticola
10-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Hmmm....I feel like a challenge..:)

Maybe of Lovecraft inspired map.....'Rats in the Walls' type of thing....

nightpiece
10-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Hi! I have a question... can a newcomer submit to this? It is exactly the kind of thing I like to make. And with about two weeks left until the deadline, I hope I can come up with something!

torstan
10-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Absolutely. Everyone is welcome to enter.

Sapiento
10-11-2012, 04:23 AM
Would a Lovecraftian theme be considered as 'Gothic' or is this too modern?

Diamond
10-11-2012, 04:26 AM
To me, it's all about the atmosphere, not the date range. I'd think Lovecraft would be totally appropriate.

ravells
10-11-2012, 04:48 AM
Lovecraft is Gothic Horror. I think Torstan actually mentions Innismouth in the contest blurb.

Sapiento
10-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Lovecraft is Gothic Horror. I think Torstan actually mentions Innismouth in the contest blurb.

Indeed, ravells. I've missed it apparently.

Well, an idea is found. Now I have to find the time.

Schwarzkreuz
10-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Ah an Lovecraft themed map would also interests me, perhaps with the help of the great old ones I may defeat the curse of the unfinished challenges!

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.

lostatsea
10-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Torstan : Not meaning to correct an ADMIN but shouldn't the tag be ### LATEST WIP ###. I noticed the scrubber isn't picking up the tag you posted in the monthly rules. I wish I had time to do this one but alas the real world calls.:((

torstan
10-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Nope, correct away! I've fixed it now, and edited Cisticola's last entry to fit the format, so we should now have his thumbs in the latest thumbnails.

LindaJeanne
10-13-2012, 11:22 PM
:) I know the feeling. Sounds like Edinburgh during August (Fringe and Festival season). "***k off, I'm a local" t-shirts do well in Edinburgh in August. I can guess that might work in Salem too!

I bet they would! :)

I'm always tempted to list my location as "on the banks of the Miskatonic", since Arkham was algamation of Salem, MA and Providence, RI.

Sapiento
10-29-2012, 06:16 AM
We are now three days past the last day of this month's challenge. Wouldn't it be time to close the challenge and start voting?

ravells
10-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Torstan must be busy. If he's not dealt with the voting by this evening UK time, I'll do it.

geamon
10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Yeah, he lives close to lower parts of Manhattan if I remember properly. We are just sitting in for the storm, probably gonna have to do it Rav's.

torstan
10-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Yep, we're hunkering down :) I'll get the challenge closed down and set up the voting.

ravells
10-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Just watching the news. It's not pretty. Hope you and yours are OK and get through this OK too.