PDA

View Full Version : J.Tougas's Mapping Elements

jtougas
10-04-2012, 04:43 PM
With all the great stuff being posted in this forum I thought I'd throw my hat in. Although I am no expert on making mapping objects and I do use quite a few pre-made objects, I am trying to create more of my own. Here is one that I created for the latest installment of "The Adventures of Calan Stonebridge" encounter map series. I needed a "fighting pit" for the tavern that is the center of this encounter map. I figured it would make a good place to start making my own elements as it is basically a structure and I am comfortable making those. The biggest thing with this was the "feel" of it. I wanted it to feel dark and gloomy and scary. The torches and the shadowing are both very important. I added some details to the floor of the pit and created the stairs. I didn't add any blood or charecters or weapons so that if anyone wants to use this they can customize it the way they'd like. As always feedback is requested and appreciated. :)

Bogie
10-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Very nice, keep em coming!

ruff
10-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Not bad keep it up..

jtougas
10-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Very nice, keep em coming!

Thanks I've always been very afraid of making my own stuff but I'm starting to realize that I don't suck at it as bad as I first thought. :)

Not bad keep it up..

Thanks I'm glad you like them :)

Here's another one that I created for the Calan Stonebridge (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?17472-Dark-Meeting) Series. I needed a very rough table and bench. So I made this. I have two versions one darker and one lighter. Enjoy and as always feedback is requested and appreciated :)

Bogie
10-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Nice table / benches. One suggestion, try a beveled edge. Not everyone likes how this looks, but it gives more depth to the table top.

jtougas
10-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Nice table / benches. One suggestion, try a beveled edge. Not everyone likes how this looks, but it gives more depth to the table top.

I thought about the bevel and after running one I wasn't sure if I liked it. I tend to just "shadow" the top of anything round like that to give it a little "width" but I think I'll probably upload a version of these with the bevel. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Gamerprinter
10-05-2012, 01:04 PM
I always bevel objects like tables, as it does help create a 3D effect. However, for medieval fantasy settings, I never use rounded corners - as you have in your tables and benches. That's a very modern convention. Square corners are true, rounded corners, not so much.

jtougas
10-05-2012, 01:11 PM
I always bevel objects like tables, as it does help create a 3D effect. However, for medieval fantasy settings, I never use rounded corners - as you have in your tables and benches. That's a very modern convention. Square corners are true, rounded corners, not so much.

I hadn't thought of that. But it makes sense. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be updating these :)

BISHDP
10-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Those are really good looking. You should post more of this kind of stuff.

jtougas
10-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Those are really good looking. You should post more of this kind of stuff.

Thank you very much. Also I want to thank everyone for the feedback. I'm still "getting my feet wet" as it were with this stuff so I'll take all the help I can get :) One thing that I really enjoy when it comes to any kind of mapping is telling a story. To tell a great story you need the "filler" the backstory the little details that make the scene come to life. I realized that the tables I made (besides being rounded..:) ) were just not rough enough. Where were the scars from countless mugs being dragged across them? Where were the broken edges from fights and swords banging against them? There has to be knife marks and knotholes and all the little "character" stuff that makes a fantasy tavern table. SO after all of that I went and made a new table for the Axe & Stump. I also on the advice of people that are far better at this than I am :) went back and added a bevel to the original tables and benches that I made. I adjusted the opacity of the beveling layers so there wasn't so much of a "hard edge" I hope you enjoy all of these as much as I enjoy making them. As always feedback is requested and appreciated. :)

The New Rectangular Table and Benches

The Updated Beveled Version of the Original Rounded Edge Table & Benches
Dark Version
Lighter Version

Bogie
10-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Good improvements on the benches. They look much more used.

Tables was the first thing I learned to make from scratch, I became obsessed and made over a hundred tables in a few weeks. Even the guys at DJ advised counseling! LOL

jtougas
10-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Of course there HAS to be some round tables. And of course they have to be beat up and full of character. :)

Bogie
10-13-2012, 03:10 AM
Nice work, I can just picture the battle axe taking out those chunks.

jtougas
10-24-2012, 01:38 PM
I need some hammocks for a "Adventures of Calan Stonebridge" encounter map that I am working on. There are some really great ones out there but keeping with my theme of trying to make as many elements myself as I can I thought I'd give making a hammock a try. :)

Bogie
10-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Good basic shape. Only comment is that it looks to symmetric and flat. It needs something to make it look more 3 dimensional. ( keep in mind that I don't make anything from scratch myself, so I couldn't do any better. Just adding my 2 cents )

jtougas
10-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Good basic shape. Only comment is that it looks to symmetric and flat. It needs something to make it look more 3 dimensional. ( keep in mind that I don't make anything from scratch myself, so I couldn't do any better. Just adding my 2 cents )

I was thinking the same thing myself. I've looked at other people's hammocks and it looks like there might be some skewing of the fabric layer involved. Of course getting the shadowing right will go a long way too. I'll re-work it and see what I can come with :)

jtougas
10-26-2012, 06:53 PM
While I was working in my Wolves Fall Castle project I realized I needed hay bales. Seemed simple enough and I think they came out pretty good. As always feedback is requested and appreciated. :)

Jacktannery
10-31-2012, 06:43 AM
The bale is good jt.

Bogie
10-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Good hay bale.

jtougas
10-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys :) I'm going to make a "rougher" one that looks like it was made by hand and not a machine. This one served my purpose as it was going to be so small as to almost be invisible. For a larger scale use I'd like it to be a little less "neat" :)

jtougas
11-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I need a couple of these for the newest installment of "The Adventure of Calan Stonebridge" Series. This was a little harder to make than I originally thought it would be but I figured it out. Enjoy :)

Bogie
11-04-2012, 02:24 AM
Nice little item!

jtougas
11-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Nice little item!

Thanks Bogie :)

Another object I created for the current installment of the "Adventures of Calan Stonebridge" Encounter Map Series (http://www.cartographersguild.com/building-structure-mapping/17472-dark-meeting.html). A cargo net. Enjoy :)

Bogie
11-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Great, very useful!

jtougas
11-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks again Bogie :)

Here are a few more items that I created for the "Promise of Fire" smuggling ship encounter map that is the latest installment of the "Adventures of Calan Stonebridge" Series. Enjoy and as always feedback is requested and appreciated :)

A Dock: It's pretty simple but it looks good and it's functional.

Hatches. I needed a fairly specific kind of hatch for the map so this is the one I ended up making.

arsheesh
11-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Nice. Thanks for sharing these with the Guild JT.

EDIT: Looks like I've already repped you recently so I'll have to spread the love a bit more before I can do so again.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Bogie
11-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Nice work JT!

jtougas
11-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks Guys :)

jtougas
11-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Here are some stairs that I created for the "Promise of Fire" encounter map. Again they are plain but functional. Enjoy and as always feedback is requested and appreciated :)

jtougas
11-06-2012, 10:52 PM
I needed this for the Promise of Fire smuggling ship that is the 8th installment of the "Adventures of Calan Stonebridge" encounter map series. Enjoy :)

Bogie
11-07-2012, 01:42 AM
Nice Grate, or is that Great Grate? Every ship needs one.

jtougas
11-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Nice Grate, or is that Great Grate? Every ship needs one.

:)

I needed a curved bookshelf for my Watch Wizards apartments map that is part of the Wolves Fall Castle series. This came out pretty good I think. Enjoy and as always feedback is requested and appreciated :)

Empty Version

Version with Books (Books by Kepli & GreyTale)

Bogie
11-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Nice bookshelves Jt, these will be useful. Thanks.

jtougas
11-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Nice bookshelves Jt, these will be useful. Thanks.

Your very welcome and thank you for all the encouragement to keep making these items. :)

I didn't actually make this but I thought it was pretty cool after I modified it a bit. It's a brush and mirror set from a image I found on Google. (I checked and it's an open use photo) It was originally silver. I changed it to look more like "antique" gold and I also brightened up the velvet in the box. Enjoy. :)

jtougas
11-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Here are a couple of elements that I made for the Merlan Seascar's Cabin encounter map which is the latest installment of the Adventures of Calan Stonebridge encounter map series. Enjoy and as always feedback is requested and appreciated. :)

Map Table
The map is a section of my Kingdom of Shendenflar regional map (The Southern section that borders Lake Quag). I just resized it and made it a little more "chart like". The books are from Greytale and Kepli. The charts are modified scrolls by katmagli.

"Lordsrun Marble" Table
This is just a simple table with a texture and a few effects on it to simulate "Lordsrun Marble" in my Kingdom of Shendenflar campaign setting this type of marble is very rare and very expensive. It is named for the river where it was first discovered.

anomiecoalition
11-10-2012, 11:49 PM
great stuff...snagged. (would rep if I could...I suppose I need to starting "spreading it around" more)

Bogie
11-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Nice items JT. :)

jtougas
03-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Here is a simple ground effects overlay to detail dirt floors or roads. It works best as a overlay set to a medium opacity. Enjoy !! :)

Bogie
03-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Very useful, I use a lot of overlays, the more the better!

Mark Oliva
03-11-2013, 02:15 AM
Good work!

jtougas
03-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Good work!

Thanks !! :)

jtougas
11-28-2013, 12:26 AM
I created these for my November/December Lite Challenge Entry and thought I would share them with the Guild. They were created in GIMP. Enjoy :)

Side View

Interior View

Bogie
11-28-2013, 12:01 PM
The side view sure makes it look like a rusty old bucket of bolts! Nice work JT!

jtougas
11-28-2013, 02:32 PM
The side view sure makes it look like a rusty old bucket of bolts! Nice work JT!

Thanks Bogie. For this map I needed to make them look "weathered" as there is a bit of "climate" inside the massive ship. I have some newer looking ones I'm working on as well. :)