PDA

View Full Version : The world of Midgard

torstan
10-09-2012, 01:09 PM
I've been mapping the world of Midgard in regions and in a full world map for some time. The Midgard Campaign guide was an opportunity to get the full world pinned down once and for all. Now that the book is out in the wild I can show off the maps! They are spread over two posts because there are just too many of them. These are the versions saved out at 72dpi (on the publisher's request). The versions in the pdf and the print books are 300dpi of course!

Check out the Campaign Setting here (http://www.rpgnow.com/product/105276/Midgard-Campaign-Setting), and the iPad Atlas app here (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midgard-atlas/id557124240?mt=8).

48982 48983 48984 48985 48986

All images Kobold Press, reproduced with permission.

torstan
10-09-2012, 01:18 PM
And the rest of the world maps:

48987 48988 48989

As before, all images Kobold Press, reproduced with permission.

I'll let people figure out how all of these interlink :) Suffice to say keeping track of all the different edges and labels was a very large part of the challenge for this commission.

arsheesh
10-09-2012, 04:16 PM
First off, congrats on such a cool commission project. Second of all, Kobold Press certainly got their money's worth here, these are top of the line maps. I can only imagine how long it took for you to complete them all. Kudos!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Clercon
10-10-2012, 03:13 AM
Really great maps. I love all the details, makes me want to buy the pdf (so I can study your techniques).

Schwarzkreuz
12-05-2012, 04:09 AM
Why only 2 comments here? This are some of the most awesoma maps ever!

Clercon
12-05-2012, 04:23 AM
Why only 2 comments here? This are some of the most awesoma maps ever!
Hey be quiet! I want to keep this gem to myself ;)

Eilathen
12-05-2012, 07:28 AM
These are indeed awesome. If i can, i'll rep you, torstan.

Too bad the rpg is mostly for the PF rulesset (i know it has a short AGE appendix) ... i am so tired of D&D 3.X .

Edit: I had to settle for the like-button. I need to spread some rep. around before i can rep you again. A question, though: do you think the Kobolds would allow you to post those map at much higher resolution? Because now we can only guess at the real beauty of those maps. I want to see details! :D

Schwarzkreuz
12-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Than buy the Book :P

I have just received his Lands of Ice and Fire maps yesterday, and they are stunning. Were worth the money.

jigsawman
12-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Very cool maps. Thanks for sharing. What syle is this? What program(s) did you use?
JSM

Saule
12-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Amazing maps, I love the style!

morganPotPie
12-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Wow, these look great!

I love the colors you used for everything! The borders are very distinct and really caught my attention, but they match the maps well.

the technique you used for the forests and mountains are awesome.

Great Job

vorropohaiah
01-06-2013, 07:19 AM
I'll let people figure out how all of these interlink :) Suffice to say keeping track of all the different edges and labels was a very large part of the challenge for this commission.

so this isn't one large map cropped into the various regions?! if so, did you at least have a world coastline to work with, starting each from scratch? sounds like a hell of a job, but great work :)

RubyBlue
02-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Are these maps for the game that is on the iOS and android and pc or just for the table top.?

krelios
02-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Keep up the good work!

torstan
02-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Eilathen - I'm afraid these will be limited to this resolution. The 300dpi versions are available with the pdf.

jigsawman - these were created using Photoshop and a Wacom tablet.

Schwarzkreuz - thanks! I'm glad you like the Lands of Ice and Fire!

Vorropohaiah - I did actually end up creating one massive base map with borders, colours and all the terrain and then labelled each map individually. It was a bit of a beast to do, but the final result was totally worth it. It was at least as much a matter of information management as of illustration.

RubyBlue - the game is for the tabletop, for Age, 4E D&D or Pathfinder. There's also an app for the iPad (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midgard-atlas/id557124240?mt=8) that allows you to scroll and pan through the whole world.

Sorry for the late replies all! I missed the activity on this thread. Thanks for all the likes and the kind words.

Monkey
02-10-2013, 05:41 AM
Awesome job on labels

Big Mac
05-25-2014, 08:53 AM
I've been mapping the world of Midgard in regions and in a full world map for some time. The Midgard Campaign guide was an opportunity to get the full world pinned down once and for all. Now that the book is out in the wild I can show off the maps! They are spread over two posts because there are just too many of them. These are the versions saved out at 72dpi (on the publisher's request). The versions in the pdf and the print books are 300dpi of course!

I found this thread after Havard posted a link to it in a thread called [Midgard] Midgard Maps (http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12113) at the Other Worlds forum at The Piazza.

These maps are great! Nice work.

How much percentage of Midgard's surface do you think you have mapped in total? And are you still creating other maps that expand the world?

Geomarshal
06-25-2014, 09:56 PM
These maps are extremely well done. I have seen these in the setting material and they are beautiful.